close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how to

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by pochis, Jul 16, 2012.

1. pochis

pochis

embarrassed to ask but here goes, how do you sight in your glock for gssf and we can't use adjustable sights?

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Where in the world did you get the idea that you can't use adjustable sights? The G34/35 comes stock with them (if you don't buy a blue label).

Adjustable sights are more than legal. But you don't need them.

I don't use adjustable sights. I'm a reloader. I use a load "recipe" that gives me a good group for my desired bullet. If the group is too high/low at my "sight in" distance, I can buy a REPLACEMENT front sight that will correct for that. Done.

Even if you're not a reloader and buy factory ammo, as long as you use ONE primary choice and do the same thing, you're good. There might be several other factory choices that will give you fairly close POI, but having that known good choice for your "go to" match ammo is good.

3. pochis

pochis

i was under the impression that was not considered stock as most glocks come without.

4. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Check out Rule 40.30 for Allowable Modifications to Stock. 40.30.5 specifically talks about the sights that can be on your Glock.

5. SARDG

SARDG

Any notch and post sights are legal - but let's dissect your sentence "most Glocks come without". If Glock now makes or ever made a part, it may be used on any Glock and still considered stock for GSSF. You can take Glock's cheap adjustables and put them on any gun you shoot for GSSF - or buy a third-party quality set if you choose.

You can mix and match parts from different models. People change out (stock) barrels and change out entire slides and frames mixing G30 with G36 frames and slides. Anything goes - you can put a solid non-ported (STOCK) barrel in a "C" model and shoot it in AmCiv instead of being relegated to Comp or UNL. (All Long Slides of course are allowed only in Comp or UNL.)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You really need to read and understand the rules. The very short section on what *is*, and is *NOT* legal, is simple and easy to understand.

7. davsco

davsco

the gssf website spec's out the distances for all of the paper and steel targets you will be shooting. at your home range, set up targets at those distances and see where you are hitting. adjust your holds accordingly. but chances are you can hold dead center on all of them and be close enough that you don't have to hold high or low.

8. pochis

pochis

i am sorry i just plain misunderstood, now i need to find a good set adjustable sights w/o going broke .... any suggestions.

9. SARDG

SARDG

pochis- Although you could 'hold' somewhere other than perceived POI, that's not something conducive to quick times in action pistol competition - it's something to use in a pinch when you find your sights have gone south and your in the middle of a stage.

My advice would be to find some quality adjustables, use the front sight shims found in some sight kits, or change out the height of the front sight so POA=POI.

I personally sight in at 10yds which in my case works out for accuracy out to at least 35 yds - but it's easy to check a couple of distances. The close GSSF paper targets in a GSSF array are practically gimmes so sight-in at that close range shouldn't be necessary.

I do not have a recommendation for adjustables or any other sights but there is plenty of info on this forum if you search and check the Stickies.

Also remember that the GSSF stages found in The Glock Report and online are 'suggested' and may be changed by the venue to satisfy any special requirements or limitations of the ranges.

10. pochis

pochis

thanks sardg, i will look to see what i can find ,all of you have helped
    thanks

11. Ranger54

Ranger54

I use the cheap Glock adjustable sights on all my Glocks. They do the job and are inexpensive. I know lots will say they are bad sights, but GSSF matches are not exactly bullseye competition. They match my skill level.

12. MajorD

MajorD

and as far as sighting in,where does your gun hit with the current sight set up? if you are getting really tight groups (my definition 1 inch or so at 10 yards) and they are in the wrong place on the target, adjusting sights can help. if you are not getting tight groups different sights are not going to help much. remember the a/b zone on the GSSF paper target is rather large (about a foot in diameter) and fairly close (except the 25 yard target on 5 to glock) if your pistol hits to within a couple inches of point of aim at say 15 yards, this will be more than adequate for gssf

13. bryandover

bryandover

I think most Glock's point of aim is controled by trigger press more than the sights thats on it.

14. SARDG

SARDG

A/B is 8"
    C ring is 12"

15. bryandover

bryandover

I swear sometimes they seem smaller. :rofl: