close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to tell what is slowing computer down?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Feb 28, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Recently there has been some power outages due to the weather. Same goes for my cable and internet...at least I called the cable company and that's what they said. Initially everything went out and that was it.

However, now I have everything back...but my internet is super slow. Reminds me of how things used to be back when we were still dialing up to AOL on a Macintosh Performa!

Anyways, how can I run a diagnostic to see what is slowing things down? Maybe it's not the internet but something on my computer. :dunno:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

there are speed tests on the internet here, but it runs an average, and if you have a really good connection, but with sporatic drops, it wont really give you what you want to know,

call the main office and tell them you want it fixed, and generally they will come test the line and if necesary install new fittings from the box

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Well what I'm wondering is if that temporary drop in connection could have screwed my computer up at all?

I mean initially there was no connection, then I would have to manually search for my own connection (which was through a wireless router 10 feet away), then I didn't have to do that anymore but I noticed it was loading at a snail's pace...been that way ever since.

I do plan on calling the company, but I'm curious if there is anything I should check for anywhere on my computer before I do that...in terms of settings or programs that are effected by a drop in connection?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

4. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

turn all your things off,

take the power out of the router and the modem,

wait a minute or two,

then plug them back in,

also might try reinstalling the drivers on the wireless

5. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

This ^

I had to take everything cold after they (Comcast) made some changes to my service.

I did not have to reinstall any drivers.

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Go here:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?flash=1

and pick the server closest to you geographically. If your Internet is slow call your ISP, if it's not there's something going on with your computer. Scan for viruses and malware. If you do have a WiFi connection to the cable modem you can try reinstalling the drivers for that.

Rebooting router and cable modem is also a good idea.

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Endowment Life Member

Shut down everything, including pc.

Remove power from modem and router.
    Let sit at least 2 minutes.

Reboot modem. Wait 2 minutes.
    Reboot router. Wait 2 minutes.
    Reboot pc. Connection should be restored.

IF the connection is still slow, contact your internet provider and have them come out.

8. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

Not sure what OS or type of computer your running there. Since there were power outages you may need to run a free program called CCleaner (Use the "Cleaner" option to clean up temporary files and use the registry option to fix invalid registry entries. I do not back up my registry when prompted.) as well as defrag your hard drive since the computer shutdown abruptly. In addition if your running something like XP I would install System File defrag AKA pagefile defrager.

Here's the link: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/free-software-downloads/defrag-pagefile-and-registry-in-windows-xp/

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  9. MonkeyPlasm

MonkeyPlasm NOT allowed...

Unfortunately, well aware of these 'speed testing' websites, ISPs very likely give traffic to/from them a higher priority (e.g. full speed service). Thus giving the appearance you're getting faster service than you normally receive with your low priority traffic (e.g. everything else you do on the web).

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I doubt it. Try several if that's what you suspect. Take the fastest as that's probably the closest to your true current Internet speed.