How To "Salt Cure" a Ham?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by GlockSpeed31, Nov 26, 2005.

1. GlockSpeed31

GlockSpeed31

My grandfather is wanting to Salt Cure a ham. He used to do it years ago w/ his father, but time has passed and he can not remember how to. I gave him a Wild Hog (a sow) ham that I had in the frezzer from the hog I shot last January. So, anyone know what is the process of doing a Salt Cure Ham?

If anyone knows, please try to be as detailed as possible.

Thanks in Advance,
    GlockSpeed31

2. noway

noway

It's quite easy and many ways to do it. But when my folks did back in the old days was to add 3-4cups of curing salt & 1cup of regular salt to a whole bunch of water like maybe 5-7gallons or more. They would soak the pork or goat for about 7-14 days and then rinse off and dry. Before placing the meat in storage or eating it, they let sit in the smoke house on alow heat & smoke and get smoked for about 3days. The meat would be then ready to eat and can store for some time. They also did salami that way and it was quite taste as I recall it, cure and dried sausages are something of the past that was done very frequently.

btw: You can buy the curing salts from morton, it's about the same thing you get in the DIY jerky kits.

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Canning salt is prefered over "regular", just make sure it isn't "iodized".