GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our frigidaire upright freezer started having a strong mold/mildew odor coming from it. I pulled it out from the wall and saw water droplets along the foam insulation that was covering one of the small copper pipes under the freezer. There appeared to be several white spots on the foam insulation which I assume was mold.

The foam seemed to be deteriorating along one section and I think that water is condensing at this section and dripping along the rest of the foam insulation. It is dripping enough that there was a small amount of water on the floor. I am going to try to apply another layer of foam insulation over the current insulation to hopefully stop the condensation.

I also noticed that there was some green corrosion along one section of the copper pipe. Is there anything I can put on the pipe to keep it from continuing to corrode? This freezer is about 8 years old.

Thanks

·
Anti-Federalist
17,651 Posts
No need to coat the copper. The green patina IS your protection from corrosion.

Take a look at any number of green patina copper roofs.

Reactions: ScottMn

·
Anti-Federalist
17,651 Posts

Remember this chick?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Is the freezer in a non air conditioned area? High humidity is what causes condensation on the outside of a fridge/freezer. But at 8 years old you have already got your time out of it.

/

·
Anti-Federalist
17,651 Posts
Is the freezer in a non air conditioned area? High humidity is what causes condensation on the outside of a fridge/freezer. But at 8 years old you have already got your time out of it.

/

Average is 13 years. 20 is more my experience unless it's a garage fridge.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Good luck finding a large freezer right now. All hell is breaking loose in the appliance manufacturing industries due to parts and raw material shortages( China)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts