How to react if approached about carrying a firearm in a store

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Acujeff, Jul 7, 2020.

1. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

It's also a federal offense to posses a firearm on USPS property unless required for "official duties".

39 CFR § 232.1 Conduct on Postal Property

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    orangejeep06 likes this.
  2. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Heck I've never been stopped for CCW.

3. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I have had a CCW/LTC for over 25 years and never once have I been approached and asked if I was carrying a gun. I carry on a regular basis, almost everywhere except certain medical facilities, schools, etc. I refuse to leave a gun unattended in my car so when absolutely necessary I leave it at home. All other times, I’m packing.

glock1097 and 87'vette like this.
  4. tango44

tango44

Nobody has to know that I carry, simple as that! And I been carrying for the last 20 years.
    My wife and kid has to know and in case of an emergency thay know how to react!
    Honestly I found open carry is really stupid and if another person can notice that you are carrying definetly you are doing something wrong!
    I been carrying in sunny FL for the last 20 years and never had a problem, because its a way of life that I choose and I choose to do it right!

orangejeep06 and buster55 like this.
  5. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I’m not going to ask but I suspect many of us at one time or another have found ourselves accidentally with a concealed gun in a prohibited area. Concealed means concealed.

6. slym2none

slym2none

Yep. I didn't know they weren't allowed in Post Offices.

Oopsie... :p

*ETA* - does that law apply to Post offices that aren't their own thing? I know of at least one convenience store that has a USPS drop-off station in it, signs on the window and everything, but it's really just a convenience store.

7. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

And the trial lawyers. Both the police and the store screwed up.

Nanuk likes this.
  8. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Been CCWing since late 1999. Concealed means concealed.

9. hardluk1

hardluk1

33 years of CC and 20 years for my wife we have yet to be spotted as a concealed carry people . If a normal business is posted against my life style I just don't go there . They only say they don't want my money and that's OK . Then there is the Government centers , PO or anything medical I need to visit attached to the hospital then I will disarm and we keep a small ft knox safe with a simplex lock bolted or chained in our truck and car .

orangejeep06 likes this.
  10. Sharkey

Sharkey

Throat strike with the web of the hand, aikido throw, and go about your business.

True story time - walking across mall lot and security comes up to me and asks what is in the bag? I have a Expedition bag slung since I came from the gym. I tell him it ain't none of your business.
    Walk to mall entrance and stopped by APD and he asks for my ID. When I ask why, he says just because. I tell him he needs a reason and I want to know what it is. Officer says security stated I was handling a magazine. I tell him BS. He then asks if I have a gun. I say yep. He then tells me to leave since door is marked no LTC carriers. I tell him that doesn't apply to me. We had both taken a nasty tone. I pull out my DL and then pull out my LEO ID. I should have talked with security for but did not.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  11. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

That was my thought. If your gun is concealed well, how will anyone know it's there?

12. Filhar

Filhar

That applies to Postal Property. I worked at a Post Office that had a parking lot with only one lane on Postal Property. The City rebuilt the parking lot and the rest of the parking was City property. Per the Postal Inspector, I locked my gun in my car every morning (in a safe) and picked it up every night. Employee parking lot wasn't legal for guns.

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Before MN changed carry law I bothered changing business signage.
    My bank put up “NO GUNS” signage. I met with the bank President. (I knew his dad, then him 40 yrs). We talked. He was at banking meeting, all banks given signage. He put it up.
    I used argument. “I’m a bank robber. I got my illegal gun, filed off serial numbers, stole a getaway car, got my mask, gloves... got to door of bank “NO GUNS” sign. CURSES FOILED AGAIN. So I have to try and find a bank without the sign.
    The only people who might obey the sign are law abiding customers.
    Now I mostly ignore, plan to do business elsewhere.

In past a auto parts place I called, talked to manager. Then every time I bought at competitor I called talked, left VM to the manager of how much I spent at competitor.
    The sign came down. (Actually it was modified as I suggested). Instead of (something like). “No weapons allowed in business”. They added “Illegal” before weapons.
    Sadly (fir them) I got to like the competitor’s price/ service.

orangejeep06 and Intolerant like this.
  14. pugman

pugman

Happened to me several years ago in Target.

I'm short so when I need to reach for something on the top shelf my untucked shirt can ride up. Another customer saw at least the bottom half of my OWB holster and asked if I "had a gun."

In liberal Madison, WI 75-80% of the population are dyed blue hard core liberals.

I also figured since she said "had a gun" rather than carrying a firearm, are you an officer or something less spooked it was an issue.

I just said "yes madam but I have a permit." Took my cart and checked out with less than a quarter of what I was buying.

Damn shame I need to hide and be ashamed of my rights but I figured that than having the police called and explaining all this.

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You don't even have to answer, or explain yourself to anyone else. Just go about your business.

16. RovinOn

RovinOn

I posted my thoughts on this earlier but my motto has always been,,, Don’t ask,,,Don’t tell.
    I have always carried concealed with no issues. The only place is in or around a school and a post office or other Fed building.

17. jstaylor62

jstaylor62

Excellent article and advice!

But sadly, some neckbeard with their HI-Point in an Uncle Mike shoulder holster are the ones that make a scene ...

18. toofman

toofman

Not to derail, but I like Buffalo Wild Wings, but they have always had an extra snotty, "firearms free zone" sign on the door. I notices since Arby's bought it, they are gone (at least around here). Are they still anti 2A?

19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Arby's and BWW are both owned by Inspire Brands.

20. Eagle54

Eagle54

I find it hard to conceal my M60. :D
    :50cal:

G19 fan and GlockTrader45 like this.