Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy y'all.

I've been shooting my Glock 17 at the range and I am a pretty decent enough shot. I found myself taking my time and really lining up my shots.

What is the proper way to train to stay on target while rapid firing? Also, what are some of the proper metrics when shooting rapid fire (I'm sure it's tough to stay in a 5" circle while unloading a clip).

Thanks

·
NRA4EVR
11,663 Posts
Slow down. Work on the sights being perfectly aligned before pulling the trigger, and every trigger being perfectly smooth with the sights staying aligned. Don't try to be fast. As you perfect your technique, speed will improve.

Also dry fire every day - 50-100+ perfect trigger pulls. There are a number of dry fire drills and systems available online.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Look up the dot torture drill. Shoot it at 3 yards and work on your speed. Get a timer and see where your at. Shoot 5 shot groups and work out of your holster, and start with your hands at your sides. You'll find if you slip on your fundamentals your group will be all over the place. Slowly work on your speed while you watch the front site, trigger press and grip. Try and get sub three second groups. Typically when I'm warm I can run 2.40-2.60 with my consistent best runs being around 2.25. When you master that you'll be shooting bill drills in the a zone at 3 yards easy in the mid 1.5-1.8. Dot torture drill has done a lot to help my shooting.

·
I'm not retired
7,243 Posts
Learn how to jerk the shiite out of the trigger without moving the gun
Rob says to hold the gun tight when shooting. A lot of people will look at you like you have two heads if you tell them that.

Something I tell people (I like the vid 9x45 posted, BTW) as a supplement...if you have less than strong hands and wrists, and I'm not talking polar bear strength, but let's say you have trouble opening jars and those new 20oz Cokes, do some hand, wrist, and forearm strengthening exercises. It doesn't take long (maybe 15 minutes, every other day), and it doesn't take long (vast improvement in just a couple months). ;)

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
I'm guessing you never took a class with Mike Pannone. He hates that line as much as I do, because it literally makes no sense:
Slow=Smooth & Smooth=Fast, by the Transitive Property of Mathematics means that:
Slow=Fast, and Slow is definitely NOT Fast. Slow is just Slow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm guessing you never took a class with Mike Pannone. He hates that line as much as I do, because it literally makes no sense:
Slow=Smooth & Smooth=Fast, by the Transitive Property of Mathematics means that:
Slow=Fast, and Slow is definitely NOT Fast. Slow is just Slow.
It's cool. He saw a movie.

And thumbs up to you boners about the clip thing. As if everyone didn't know what he meant.

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
T'Zagged....

·
Just sayin'
4,639 Posts
I like do some Zimbabwe and double tap drills. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
It all comes down to the grip; Grip based shooting technique. Along with other body mechanics that come into play. The trigger isn't a priority to accuracy as much as people think it is. (Yes, I just disagreed with half the people here). Change is hard because the classical thinking is trigger control is everything. It used to be, but that has changed in this case specifically; grip based pistol rapid fire shooting. I'll try to make a video this weekend using standard factory loads on my Gen 4 Glock 19 rapid firing.

This is awhile back and since then I have modified my grip and stance. Gun - Smith M&P 5inch barrel. Factory 115gr ammunition. 10 round string rapid fire.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Hm. Sorry about that. The video quality is less than good. I'll post another when I get a chance...

Meanwhile for your viewing pleasure. To get some sort of idea.

Bob Vogal

Bob Vogal - watch for his group towards the end.

Aaron Cowan - he teaches the philosophy very well...(as always)

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
May I ask what your requirement is for this rapid fire ability? Do you plan on becoming a competitive shooter, or?

·
Registered
643 Posts
May I ask what your requirement is for this rapid fire ability? Do you plan on becoming a competitive shooter, or?
Well, myself? no.

But... if you ever find yourself in a situation where someone is shooting innocent people, has gone off their rocker... and may be pointing at you next...

Is your plan to aim at them and get those sights lined up and **gently** squeeze that trigger... and **hope** they didn't already kill you and that your single shot aim was good?

If you ever do encounter a terrible situation, I don't think it's going to be one that your single shot target practice (that most of us seem to do) at the range will help much in.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Far from an expert. Shooting groups and dry fire is for the fundamentals of marksmanship. Its the base you build on. Drills are something different. When I shoot a drill a lot is going on that I don't think about. I don't think about my sight picture or trigger control. Hopefully, my body in the form of hand and eye coordination trained by practice is taking care of that without me thinking about it at all. My will is driving the gun to the target. My eyes are tracking the sight to the target and it just goes off when its there. I'm thinking, if I'm thinking at all its about the fight. My biggest problem is I need to slow more, I tend to get ahead of my body and throw shots. My will is writing checks that my body can not cover. That is not unusual.

Nothing mystical about it, you do the same thing playing any sport or even driving a car. If you are in a hands on fight and need to kick someone you don't think I need to kick so I need to bring the knee up to cock or chamber the kick and then kick, you just kick and if you have trained it just happens. Thinking is always slower than just doing it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts