close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to make good fried rice?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Chevytuff19, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Chevytuff19

Chevytuff19

We have a restaurant here in town called Ichiban's. They cook all of your food right in front of you. Anyway, they have the absolute best fried rice I have ever had. It has eggs and corn in it along with soy sauce. The problem is when I try to cook it, the rice ends up mushy and stuck together.

Here is what I do, tell me what I am doing wrong:
    I cook the white rice in a rice steamer. Then it goes into the frying pan where I add the already scrambled/cooked egg and corn. Then I pour on some soy sauce and stir the rice around. I used some butter one time in hopes that it would make the rice less mushy but it didn't help. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Wes

2. RaiderCop

RaiderCop NRA Life Member

I have had pretty good luck doing the following:

Use a good long grain rice like jasmin, not the short stick stuff. Let it cook a little longer, or just don't disturb for about 10 minutes after it is done. This should give you a slightly dryer less moist rice. Let it cool (or not) and seperate it with wet fingers. Instead of heating oil in the wok, cook a little chopped bacon for fat and flavor.

I learned this from my father-in-law who is asian and a great cook!

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

When I make fried rice, I cook the rice the day before. Comes straight out of the fridge and gets dumped into the hot pan. Works every time :)

4. harrybosch

harrybosch

You have to use leftover rice. Using just cooked rice is why its mushy.

5. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Yup, let the rice sit in the frig for a while to dry a little. To add a rich flavor, use some "oyster flavored" sauce. It's a think, strong sauce that you can get in a bottle at most Asian groceries. Also makes a good dip for chicken. When you heat the oil in the wok, add some dried shrimp to season the oil.

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

basically a left-over dish not too much oil

I like mixed vegetables-( I use the frozen kind) some bits of some kind of meat..

HOT! wok, oil garlc powder,cinnamon,ginger powder. Mix it so that no one flavor is stronger.

Add rice and stir fry-maybe a minute or two till the edge of some of the rice starts to get crispy.

Make a clear spot on bottom of the pan. Break an egg and stir to cook and break up into pieces.

Stir in the veggies, bits of precooked meat, a few bean sprouts.

Add small amount of soy sauce,Dark sesame oil, shot of hot sauce.

Put in bowl or platter and serve.