close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to make an ink carteridge work again

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hemmingway, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Hemmingway

Hemmingway DUUUUUUDE!!

I recently got a printer from work that had been out of service. I purchased a refill kit, and got the black to work great, the yellow to work great, but the red works good, and the blue hardly at all. It is an HP 950C with the 78 color and the 45 black.

I have tried injecting "solvent" into the blue tank, using pressure and vacuum in the fill for the blue tank, and soaking the printhead in alchohol for 14 hours. The red is working better now, but the blue is just now barely showing spots of ink.

I am cheap, I know this. But I have tried this before and I feel there is a way top make it work again. it wasn't out of comission for that long. Anyone have any tips or tricks?

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

I'd start by not being so cheap.

Buy new cartridges and refil them when they are empty.

3. Romadoc

Romadoc

There is an article in today's "Wall St. Journal"(Thurs. 1/26) about refilling ink cartridges. It seems that many stores, including Walgreens and Office Max, are doing it for about half the regular price with a money back guarrantee.

4. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Here is the best way.
    Get rid of it. Attach a rope to it and make it a boat anchor. Use it for target practice.

The thing I hate about ink jet printers is.

1. ink drys up and causes prinitng problems.

2. Replacements are sometimes hard to get

3. They are expensive in some models.

Yes I see you bought a refill kit and it works for most peoples tastes.

My suggestion is to get a laserjet printer.
    I only print in black and white so my HP Laserjet 6p is 6 years old and it still runs like a champ.
    also the replacement cartridges are about $100.00 but I have been using this printer for 3 years now and it finally needs a replacement.
    And I print quite frequently. I don't do massive ammounts of printing so the speeed is not an issue to me.

Get rid of that headache. I have an Epson color printer somewhere in my closet you want it? It's yours. I put it away because the darn thing was doing the same thing. I just don't have time to deal with clogged print heads and such.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Epson printers have more problems than you can count. That is because the print heads are a part of the printer.

With HP and other inkjets the cartridges cost more because the ink jets are on the carts themselves.

These carts have small bits of sponge inside them to filter the ink. When allowed to contact air for any length of time the ink becomes gummy and prevents the head from getting any ink.

All you need to do is buy fresh cartridges and use them up. Be sure to refill them before they get too low to avoid having to buy new ones again!

BTW, while laser printers work well in some applications, for people who want one printer to do it all, and on the cheap, inkjets are still the way to go.

A color laserjet will cost more than your PC probably did, so that isn't a real cost-effective solution.

I often install them in offices for document printing, though, and if you really wanted one you could also use a photo printer to have full functionality...

But given the fact that this sounds like an "On The Cheap" sort of project, stick with the inkjet and just get a new color (or red and blue if separate).

Good luck.

6. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

approx total 30 for 3 ink cartridges, 10 more for black.

will print B&W or color at lowest cost of any printer/ink combo i know.

i have 2, a friend who i told about them has 4, they're nearly stealin cheap, they WORK, and by golly the whole deal is the price of two lexmark cartridges.

10$ ink (and a Big ink cartridge) makes refills silly. works fine. use it.

two teenagers here, i KNOW what a good cheap printer is. or i'd not have it.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Canon and HP both have reasonable products. HP does NOT have adequate support for their products, so they get passed over for first recommendation to my clients.

Lexmark and Epson inkjets, on the other hand...I suggest avoiding them whenever I'm asked about the subject of printers.

They seem very susceptible to SPDS (Sudden Printer Death Syndrome).