close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to legally sell a gun online

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by 1800bigk, Mar 3, 2006.

1. 1800bigk

1800bigk

Hi all,
    I am new to the site but not new to guns. I have a question about selling a gun online. How can a normal Joe with no license legally sell a gun online, what's the process? And what do all the three letter acronyms floating around this site mean, is there a link that defines them all? I keep seeing things like, ftf, FTF, ffl, fte, ccw, and many more.

thanks!

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

You can sell a gun to someone in another state by transfering the gun to a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer (FFL) in their state. YOUR STATE may allow you to ship the gun directly to that FFL in the buyer's state. Some states (as NY does) requires if I am selling a gun that the transfer be done thru a FFL in my state, to a FFL in the seller's state.

If you are selling a gun to someone in your state, your state may or may not require the use of a FFL to record the transfer. In many cases, all you need to do is exchange funds, and proof of eligibility to own a handgun. Some states have more requirements, some have less.

FTF= Face to face.
    There should be a thread at the top of this (or other) forum on Glock Talk that explains what these acronyms mean.

Good luck on your sale. Please read the rules on proper decorum so that you are not (unnecessarily) flamed.

'Drew

3. 1800bigk

1800bigk

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

FTF- Face To Face, Failure To Feed, Failure To Fire

FFL- Federal Firearms License (usually refering to a license holder)

FTE- Failure To Eject

CCW- Concealed Carry Weapon (referring to the gun), or Carrying a Concealed Weapon (as in "I was CCW at the time"), or sometimes referring to a concealed carry permit

If you have any more questions just send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out.

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

Most states don't have any requirement for the seller to establish proof of eligibility on a private, face to face sale, though it's not a bad idea, if you have a way to do it.

6. Gallium

Gallium CLM

True, but Federal law requires that you not "knowingly" sell a a handgun to someone who is not ineligible. This includes people under 18, convicted felons, etc.

7. Halojumper

Halojumper

That's not the same as requiring proof of eligibility. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Unless I know of some disqualifying factor, I will assume that he is eligible.