close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to keep people from making changes to my comp?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr. PC, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Mr. PC

Mr. PC

There are people in my home that use my computer. They accidentally disable critical programs, accidentally download things they should not, approve/accept changes that they should not. I have to figure out what they did and how to reverse it. I don't want to worry about new surprise changes to the comp every time that I sit down. I use XP Home. What can I do so that people in the house cannot make any changes, but they can still use the computer for three things, looking at stored pics on hard drive, surfing the net and checking their e-mail.

2. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

make administrative changes in safe mode.

a single default guest user account can be limited to no downloads, no installs, no deletes..

there are 'go back' programs that return it to original status on reboot.

easy answer? stop sharing a computer. i have teens.

3. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Deep Freeze!

http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp

It lets you do whatever you want ut if the hard drive was frozen when you reboot it goes back to exactl how it was. orks great. Unless you know the password and then "unfreeze" the drive you cannot do anything permanant. I've tried releasing viruses and all sorts of stuff and you simply turn it off and then on and it's back to 100% normal.

4. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

In XPH you can make a few small changes to curb user access. If you really want to define what can and cannot be done by each individual user get XP Pro. You can shutdown just about everything and only allow access for each user.

5. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

I second DeepFreeze. We use it at work (1000+ machine school system) and it has saved us so many headaches. I cannot tell you the number of times people have come up to us wondering why the program they keep installing is gone the next day. There was one lady had installed her printer drivers 4 times. Every time she did it all went away when the computer was reset. We even have it set up with a small partition where files and documents can be saved, but the rest just goes away.

6. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

Came up with another option:

Buy a second harddrive (or use one you already have if you have a spare) and add it as a slave. Put XP on it and either make a boot disk or edit boot.ini to reflect it. You can have all of your stuff on it and the kids are free to make any changes they want to theirs as you can just wipe it out and start over if needed.

7. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Set them up on a limited account in the users section of the control panel. They will be able to accomplish the 3 tasks you mentioned while being restricted from making any system changes. Make sure any accounts that have administrative rights are password protected. -dok

8. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I must have been sleeping in a tree, where has this stufff been all my life?

Having been in IT for a for more than 10 years all I can say is, this Deepfreeze product looks like a real winner! I will order a copy ASAP!

:cool: :cool: ;) :)

9. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Uh how about creating seperate user accounts for each person?
    everyone in the house has thier own username and password.

Then Share a common folder between all users. i.e. Pictures

This is not hard, why are we all trying to reinvent the wheel here?
    That should have been the second post in this thread.

10. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

I'll second (or third or fourth) the recommendation for DeepFreeze. My company uses it on ~5000 computers and it works great.