Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:crying:
Sometimes when you want to do something you just have to think outside the box :whistling:

I have spent a lot of dollars in gas going from gun store to gun store trying to get primers, bullets and powder. Most without much success. I have surfed the web only to see "Not Currently in Stock".
Today I think I found the last can of H1000 powder, but with shipping and haz mat it would cost me over $60 for that 1#.

I am going for a 4 day pistol class in a few weeks and wanted to do some practice. (I all ready have the 600 rounds of factory ammo that is required for the class).

I built my 1st reloading room in 1966 so have been loading for a LONG time. (and I admit I am a hoarder, and never throw much away). Decided to search through my "stuff" and see if I could find something to load and shoot.

There tucked under a bench was 2000 cast 9mm 125 bullets (that I forgot I had), inside a old GI ammo box was a brick of 5000 small pistol primers (that I hid for a rainy day some years ago), and sitting in a closet in a guest bedroom was 5# of Winchester 473AA powder that I bought back in 1977. (Yes when you get old, CRS does have its effect on you). So now I have primers, powder and bullets, how to make it all work??

The last part of the puzzle was an old Speer loading manual that listed the 473AA powder for 9mm. It showed 3.9 gr to 4.4 gr for 987 FPS. My Little Dandy #7 rotor threw 4.5 gr, so decided since the powder is 35 years old maybe it was not as snappy as it once was.

Yes the doom and gloomers' warned of a disaster,:fred: but my Glock never knew the difference, and proceeded to run through 100 rounds without a complaint, or any malfunction, and only a little bit of smoke from the cast bullets. The 3" post-it notes that I stuck up for targets were pretty much obliterated.

Lesson to be learned: Don't be defeated, or discouraged by the climate today, there is always a way to succeed.

·
Crusty Member
10,914 Posts
Your Glock's designed to handle European (higher pressure) ammo, and load data tends to be conservative, so being 0.1gr over max is probably no big deal.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
That's a pretty cool story there old wanderer. Sounds like it worked out pretty well.

It is kind of like when you need that very special bolt/washer/nut combo and strike it rich and find it in that big ol' drawer of assorted fasteners out by the workbench. Great satisfaction.

·
Registered
37,027 Posts
The best way to avoid this type of thing is like any other disaster, plan ahead. Keeping one years supply on hand as a minimum & adding to it when you find available, affordable components, will keep you shooting when others can not. Also having more than one load for each caliber is helpful, you can then have diff powders available to you for reloading.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Even without a legacy inventory, it is still possible to keep reloading. There are bullets all over the place - except at Precision Delta. Even Montana Gold has some inventory. TJ Conevera has a LOT of plated bullets. Cast lead bullets are easy to find.

Despite the apparent shortage of .223 ammo, I was able to score some Hornady bullets from Powder Valley. I couldn't get the powder I wanted but I got the powder they had. A week later they had some TULA SRP so I bought 5k and some more .308 bullets.

I just pick up what I can, when I can, and I think I'm in pretty good shape for a while.

I still can't find the powders I want and Federal primers seem to be permanently out of stock. So, I'll just use what I can get and save my preferred inventory for another day.

A reloader just needs to be flexible. There are components all over the place if you just look. It isn't nearly as grim as it was 6 months ago.

Richard

·
Registered
625 Posts
By frequenting a local pawn shop that caters to reloaders, being on the email list of a dozen reloading component companies and scouring the internet, I have been able to stay pretty well stocked and still shoot a good bit usually weekly plus matches.

I have had to jump around some and shoot a 1000 bullets from a source I don't normally use but it kept me shooting.
I waited three months to finally get an 8# jug of powder but I had not run out when it finally arrived.
I was also able to buy 10,000 federal small pistol primers but they were magnum match but the price was better than what my local shop was charging.
I think everyone will be better stockpiled in the future if they ever do get a chance to stock up.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Don't forget casting. If you ask enough friends, you eventually can find some lead. And a small pot and a lee mould are cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts