close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to ID a Seal

Discussion in 'US Navy Forum' started by jlbmagna, Nov 7, 2006.

1. jlbmagna

jlbmagna

We just hired a Project Mgr who claims to be a seal. I am suspicious, he casually mentions he has killed several people, and doesn't seem to be affected by it at all, in fact seems to be bragging. I suggested a trip to the range but he doesn't have a handgun to take and doesn't seem to have knowledge about sig's or hk's, he doesn't profess any proficiency either. I have only spoken casually with him and I could be all wrong. I am a 6 year vet of the USN 3 tours in the Vietnam theater (not ashore), and have had contact with a number of Rangers, Green Berets etc and I notice a certain no nonsense attitude concerning their service. As I speak with this man are there any ques I could pick up on to indicate whether he is the real deal or a poser. I just don't like the prospect of someone sponging off the service of others. Again maybe I'm all wrong but I have a funny feeling about this guy. If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd like to hear them. Thanks in advance.
    jlbmagna mm1 US Enterprise 67-73

2. DHansen

DHansen

Give www.veriseal.org a shot. They make it their business to investigate SEAL claims.

Also, ask the guy what BUD/S class he was in. If he doesn't remember/says he didn't have a class number, then he's FOS.

3. BigHank

BigHank

I hear this crap all the time from guys that had nothing to do with the subject. If you weren't a SEAL then move on. You are a V Vet. Now if someone made claims about that then I can see it bothering you.
    As for checking on their class..
    I served 7 yrs in the Navy and I went in to become a SEAL. That was the only reason I joined and it didn't work out. I was in Coronado for 3 mnths only to have my knees go bad. So if someone asked me what class # I was in, I have one for them but it doesn't mean I was a SEAL (120 by the way)

Unless you have a very good reason to KNOW that he isn't a SEAL, give him the respect he deserves, just like I would to you for being a V Vet.

The only thing I find wrong is that he seems to be bragging about it. The little time I spent trying to make the accomplishment gave me enought pride not even to talk about the training unless really pushed to do so, simply because there no way I can convey to people what happened with out them experiencing it themselves.

One more thing, just because you had contact with a "number of Rangers, Green Berets" doesn't mean you can even come close to understanding a SEAL. Rangers don't come close and Green Beret's have a totally different function. You need to compare apples to apples.

4. Hound Dog

Hound Dog

If I heard somebody making claims I suspected to be false about ANY kind of service, I would verify their claims (if possible), then confront them with it. If they are making false claims about their service, then they don't deserve respect (IMO).

There have been too many cases of people trying to take credit for things they did not do. This is shameful and reflects directly on the poser's character.

I have served for 16 years thus far. I haven't done anything I would consider heroic; I simply did my job to the best of my ability. That is enough for me. I would NEVER make false claims about my service. This behaviour should not be tolerated, and should be called out whenever possible.

5. RangerAv8r

RangerAv8r

If it is critical to his position, whoever does the hiring should ask for a copy of his DD Form 214.
    M

6. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

Hand him a baggy full of pistol parts. See what he does with it. My students consider it a challenge to get it right. Some of them claim to be able to finger read the serial no.:rofl: :rofl:

7. Bronson7

Bronson7

I had the pleasure of working with a SEAL team off the coast of PR, salvaging one of our bombers that flew into the coral. Very uncharacteristic to hear these guys brag about anything. They were an impressive group of collegiate looking guys. Friendly, but detached, pretty much keeping to themselves. He doesn't sound like a SEAL to me, but I could be wrong.
    Bronson7

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

+1. All training would be listed. If he claims it was "top secret", he is F.O.S.

:supergrin:

9. stores

stores

I agree with glockdude1. Ask to see a 214 it should show BUDS/SEAL and a NEC if not... Any vet should be willing to show his/her 214 if asked. ret SKC

10. BigHank

BigHank

Are you kidding!!!!

You'd have a better chance of me kicking your azz then me digging up my DD214 just because you don't believe a little story.

Get real!

11. nanbf06

nanbf06 Tick Burner

usually the ppl thats been through the **** and have the cookie toprove it, won't talk about it. Unless this guy is a retard, I doubt he's ever killed someone. My grandfather was a ranger and was a bad ass and killed lots but I never once in my 24 years could get him to talk about it.

I also have several friends that are in RECON in the Marines and they won't talk about killing either. One has that thousand yard stare expression all the time, Iknow for a fact he's been through the **** and back but you won't ever hear him talk about it

12. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

FOS = Freaking Over Stuffed? :supergrin: ;)

13. Glockdude1

YES!!!

"Overstuffed" because he is full of shhhhhhhhhh...........Ya know. :animlol:

14. glockinNC

glockinNC

I work with a former SEAL and I am impressed every day with this guy. He pretty much defines cool and collected. He almost never mentions his background other than generally referring to having been in the Navy unless asked directly about being a SEAL. However, I have heard him talk in detail about various aspects of training before.

Other than training, only once did I have the guts to ask him about seeing any real action. Another co-worker and I were discussing shotguns one day and he walked into the conversation. I asked him if anyone in his unit carried a scattergun and he said only one guy, usually just for breaching. Anyway, he went on for a few minutes very, very generally about when his team would get into "some stuff," but never any details, nor did I feel the need to pry.

Interestingly, in the same conversation he said he doesn't like guns and doesn't own one now. He also mentioned that they used 9mm SIGs exclusively, and referenced reliability as the reason.

Recently, we were riding in my car to a presentation and he noticed a fixed blade hunting knife in the console. He made some comments about liking that particular brand and talked some about how he used to prefer to carry his knife tip-up on his vest for easier access when seated. Nothing about slitting throats...

My take (worth exactly what you paid for it) is that the guy you're describing is nothing like the SEAL I work with. If you're getting a BS vibe, you're probably right...

15. glockinNC

glockinNC

I work with a former SEAL and I am impressed every day with this guy. He pretty much defines cool and collected. He almost never mentions his background other than generally referring to having been in the Navy unless asked directly about being a SEAL. However, I have heard him talk in detail about various aspects of training before.

Other than training, only once did I have the guts to ask him about seeing any real action. Another co-worker and I were discussing shotguns one day and he walked into the conversation. I asked him if anyone in his unit carried a scattergun and he said only one guy, usually just for breaching. Anyway, he went on for a few minutes very, very generally about when his team would get into "some stuff," but never any details, nor did I feel the need to pry.

Interestingly, in the same conversation he said he doesn't like guns and doesn't own one now. He also mentioned that they used 9mm SIGs exclusively, and referenced reliability as the reason.

Recently, we were riding in my car to a presentation and he noticed a fixed blade hunting knife in the console. He made some comments about liking that particular brand and talked some about how he used to prefer to carry his knife tip-up on his vest for easier access when seated. Nothing about slitting throats...

My take (worth exactly what you paid for it) is that the guy you're describing is nothing like the SEAL I work with. If you're getting a BS vibe, you're probably right...

16. Semper Gumby

Semper Gumby

If he wears the high speed Oakley sun glasses he must be the real thing :)

Seriously I see how if a person is lying about serving its a disrespect to all those who have served and also it may be a part of a serious character flaw to lie like that.

Good thing is there are real seals out there that take great offense to fake seals and will "out" them.

Semper Fi do or die.

17. SS398

SS398

Had one at my wife's work.Always talking it up and had been here and there.Got to digging around and found out he washed out the first week and spent the rest of his service time on a oil tanker.We carried them a couple of times on the boat and like someone said"they were quite,apart,into themselves and in very good shape".Never had a prob with any of them,all they wanted was to get out of the ^&%@# submarine and get on with the job.I have a hard time with fake Vets,Seals,pretty low life.Stretch

18. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

I had a guy at one of my old works trying telling me he was a SEAL.

"Oh yeah? What team?"
    "Ummm, it was secret."
    "Oh I understand. Hey, that training thing you guys do in SanFran, what's that called again? I saw that on tv and it had a funny name, but I can't remember."
    "SEAL Training?"
    "Ooooooh yeah, that's it!"

:rofl:

After that I couldn't keep a straight face.

19. Glockdude1

Anyone ever hear of "mini buds"???

:thumbsup:

20. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

My rule of thumb, along with a bit of life experience is this:

If a man is BRAGGING about his actions of being a HERO, he probably IS LYING!

Case in point. I used to work with a man, I'll call him 'John,' that was what you'd call a Cop's Cop. John was the guy you wanted with you in a brawl, or the guy you wanted there to enter a house in a felony situation. Helluva guy! Great Cop!! He'd been in a shooting situation, got shot, and shot the bad guy! THE COP you wanted with you when the SHTF!

Except for one thing .... His stories of Heroism in 'Nam. Stories that would make goosebumps come up on you. Stories that would make you wonder how the hell he got out of there alive!

Then one day, another officer gave me a book to read. When he gave it to me, he told me he'd loaned it to 'John' earlier. I forget the name of the book, but it was a book of true stories about combat in 'Nam.

I read the book and .... lo and behold .... it was the same damn stories that John had told us, with him being the 'Hero.'

Turns out John was in the service and did serve in 'Nam, as an AP in the Air Force.

He didn't need to brag/lie. Something in him must have made him insecure that he felt he had to make up lies to make himself look better. I don't know why. I do know I lost some respect for him when I found out the truth though.

[​IMG]