Glock Talk banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
Has anyong used this device?:

Amazon.com: RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo-2: Sports & Outdoors

I think I would prefer something that I could install to my press, like this item seems to work.

Any comments on the functioning of this item? Sadly, it looks like this requires a single or turret press in order to use this tool. So maybe I cannot use it after all. I have a Lee Loadmaster.
I must be talking to a brick wall. It's like I'm having a conversation with Little Stevie or something.

:shakehead:

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
I must be talking to a brick wall. It's like I'm having a conversation with Little Stevie or something.

:shakehead:
Reading is a useful skill not taught much in school these days.:whistling:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I am looking for an effective way to ease into reloading rifle brass with military crimps. I cannot (least right away) spend $70 to $100+ on a bench swaging tool. I am not sure I will be processing that much rifle brass. I cannot use one of those tools that installs on a single stage press; because I don't have a single stage press. I have a Lee Loadmaster progressive press.

I am looking for suggestions that eliminate the two choices listed above. At least for now. For now, I have 100 cases I need to process. For now, I may be processing 100 to 200 cases per month.

I am looking for other options. Are there any good options? Meaning option that have worked for you. Options that don’t require spending unreasonable sums of money for the small numbers I am currently looking towards. Options you have had favorable experience with.

I’ve been looking on YouTube and people are using counter sync bits on drills, hand reaming tools intended cleaning primer pockets, where others are pocket knives (Yeah! Not trying that one).

I have no experience with processing military brass. I’ve been reloading nothing but handgun brass for the last three years. I need some help easing into rifle reloading.

BTY, I will be using my rifle brass with an AR15. The brass I need to process is a 50/50 mix of .223 and 5.56. Nearly all of it seems to have crimped primers.

·
Registered
39,336 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

·
2,950 Posts
A much less expensive alternative to the RCBS or Dillon swage tools is a Hornady primer pocket reamer. I used one chucked into a variable speed drill for a long while before buying the Super Swage. By design, it will not remove more material than necessary as it will bottom out in the pocket before reaming an excessive amount of material.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253550/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-cutter-head-small

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
A much less expensive alternative to the RCBS or Dillon swage tools is a Hornady primer pocket reamer. I used one chucked into a variable speed drill for a long while before buying the Super Swage. By design, it will not remove more material than necessary as it will bottom out in the pocket before reaming an excessive amount of material.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253550/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-cutter-head-small
OK, So I add the universal handels with matching threads and I shuld be good to go?

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
So, even with all the tools out there, you are referencing a specific tool, if I understand you. From your perspective, that would be the RCBS or Dillon for $80.00.
I could use a pocket knife, but like to make things easy, so yes, a bench mounted tool will work better/faster than a hand tool. A VLD style chamfer tool will work better than a drill bit. As always, it depends on how much time you want to invest vs $$.:dunno:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Simple, cheap and quick.

Just chuck this in a battery powered drill.

Great, I'll stop at Cabela's and pick one up. I want to get started processing some brass (Starting with the primer crimps) over the weekend.

These cutter heads with the threads are designed for those motorized case processing stations. I've watched several YouTube videos of guys using these. They look like a fast and easy way to process large amounts of brass. Unfortunately, those devices are pricy.

I’ve seen three variations on the motorized processing stations. The large ones had multiple cutters (4 or more) all setting vertical. The simplest one had three stations. The device sat with the cutters horizontal to the tabletop.

Has anyone used any one of the motorized processing stations?

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
Great, I'll stop at Cabela's and pick one up. I want to get started processing some brass (Starting with the primer crimps) over the weekend.

These cutter heads with the threads are designed for those motorized case processing stations. I've watched several YouTube videos of guys using these. They look like a fast and easy way to process large amounts of brass. Unfortunately, those devices are pricy.

I’ve seen three variations on the motorized processing stations. The large ones had multiple cutters (4 or more) all setting vertical. The simplest one had three stations. The device sat with the cutters horizontal to the tabletop.

I have the Hornady trimmer/work station. Yes it is expensive, but I can do everything to one piece of brass at one place, saves time. I still swage the pockets for now, waiting for a Hornady reamer. The Lyman one fits but seems to need more force to work well.

·
Banned
32,813 Posts

No but after dealing with 400 5.56 cases last night:faint: I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of getting one.
Probably the RCBS version.

I got a gift card the last time I bought primers and that's probably what I'll use it on.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have the Hornady trimmer/work station. Yes it is expensive, but I can do everything to one piece of brass at one place, saves time. I still swage the pockets for now, waiting for a Hornady reamer. The Lyman one fits but seems to need more force to work well.
Fred,
How much rifle brass do you process at one time and do you use the case prep station with your handgun brass?

Until I get a good idea on how often I will get to a rifle range (The best rifle range (Kingsbury Indiana Shooting Range) is 1.5 hour drive from me), I'm doing with the hand prep solution for now. However, I am keeping on eye out for the motorized solution.

I may be getting a Cabela's gift card or two for Christmas. So, who knows?

·
2,950 Posts

Simple, cheap and quick.

Just chuck this in a battery powered drill.

Sometimes it takes two separate posts to get the idea across?

Honestly, if my hand didn't get so tired processing large lots of brass at a time, I'd still be using the reamer in the drill. I couldn't bear the ache any longer so I bought the Super Swage. I'm keeping the reamer in the stockpile of old tools in the event a local newbie needs to borrow it.

·
Registered
39,336 Posts
Fred,
How much rifle brass do you process at one time and do you use the case prep station with your handgun brass?

Until I get a good idea on how often I will get to a rifle range (The best rifle range (Kingsbury Indiana Shooting Range) is 1.5 hour drive from me), I'm doing with the hand prep solution for now. However, I am keeping on eye out for the motorized solution.

I may be getting a Cabela's gift card or two for Christmas. So, who knows?
I rarely do more than 100 at a pop, trimming, chamfering & primer pockets. I never process handgun brass, never seen the need. If I had a ton of crimped 9mm, maybe, but I don't.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.