close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to hook up 2nd. computer to internet?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DeLandSkyjumper, Jun 27, 2009.

1. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

Yes, I'm for real, I'm electronically challenged. The main computer is hooked up to a phone line, presuming "DSL". I want to hook up a 2nd computer in another room w/ an internet connection as well. can someone tell me how to go about it. Do I need a splitter off the phone jack that the primary computer is hooked up to and pick up another modem?

Like I said, I'm electronically challenged.:dunno:

2. StayinTriggerHappy

StayinTriggerHappy aren't we all?

either way you'll probably need another modem unless both computers have internal antennas and are capable of networking wirelessly with each other through a local area network (LAN), which would be pretty slow anyhow. but assuming they can't, you'd have to get another modem similar to the one you already have at computer#1 and you'd need another phone line open near computer#2 to plug that modem into...

or you can get a wireless router at comp#1 and broadcast the internet signal from that line to any computer anywhere in your home as long as comp#2 has a wireless pc card (which will usually come with a wireless modem, but make sure to check that before you buy it anyway) that will plug into one of your expansion ports; or if you have an internal wireless antenna inside computer#2 no need for the card.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009

3. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Huh?

1. get a wireless router.
    2. Add a wireless adapter to the 2nd computer, if it doesn't have one already.

4. Oribis

Oribis

What he said

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Agreed.. You can be pretty much brain dead and do this. It really depends on how far said computer is from the router, etc.. For the most part though, with today's technology, this should be no problem.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3984786&CatId=2667

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3173666&CatId=2704

When My sister moved in with me and it became clear she'd be here for the forseeable future, I decided to hook her computer up for her kids. My other computers are hooked up via ethernet cable I've ran through the house, but I didn''t want to have a small hole in the wall where her PC is when they move out. I already had a wireless router for my laptop. So all I needed was the wireless adapter from Belkin to let her on my network. It works great, and I've had no problems out of it.

If you set up a wireless network, read this...
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

In my opinion, 1-3 are the most important.. If you're gonna use WEP, I'd just not go wireless. It can be cracked in about 5min by your neighbors junior high aged kids. #5 is a great suggestion, and will help lock things down even further, but 1-3 will help a lot.

Where does your main conneciton come into the house, and how far away is the "second computer". If you don't want to use wireless, and you have good access to crawl space or attic to get near the PC.. just get a wired router, and run Cat6.

IGF

6. solomansousana

solomansousana

Check with your DSL provider, Verizon in Virginia will provide DSL subscribers with a wireless DSL modem if they ask for it, then all you need is a $45 usb ethernet adapter to get up and running.

7. DeLandSkyjumper

Thanks guys.

Not to fond of going wireless, though my PC does have a wireless card in it. the 2nd computer will only be about 10' away, separated by a wall, no concerns about drilling a hole.

So, picking up a wired router for the 2nd. puter, where do I need to hook it up to, router #1?

8. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Do you have an external DSL modem that the phone line goes into? If so, most have Ethernet ports, so you'd connect the Ethernet port of the DSL modem to the WAN port of the router. You'd then plug your computers into the LAN ports.

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Since you will probably be purchasing a pre-made cable instead of making them yourself be sure that you buy a standard straight through patch cable and NOT a crossover cable.

10. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Forgive my laughing but a 2nd DSL MODEM?! Only one DSL MODEM per line is allowed.

:rofl::dunno: :wow:

You can get a wired router, or check the MODEM for multiple ports, and run a CAT5 cable to the other PC. The most work.

Or check the MODEM to see if it is already a wireless model and put a wireless card or USB dongle in the other PC.

Or buy and setup a wireless router to the MODEM and add the wireless card or USB dongle to the other PC.

:supergrin:

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

OK, no concens about drilling a hole then... Your setup will look something like this... As long as the second PC has some sort of ethernet card/port.. which it should, most PC's built in the last 7-8yrs have them. If your Modem has extra connection ports like grok mentioned, you can skip the router completely.

Phone Line>> Modem>>Router>>Port 1 to PC 1>>Port 2 to PC 2.

I would still use the Wireless Router I listed above, simply because if you ever want to go wireless, you'll have the option... You get a laptop, friend comes over w/ a laptop, whatever. I'm pretty sure you can disable the wireless output in the router settings. If you absolutely do not want anything wireless.... This was my first wired router, and it worked very well.. Storm knocked it out after I had it about 2.5yrs.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat....asp?EdpNo=4693168&sku=N100-2045&srkey=FVS114

Go to Best Buy or your local electronics store, and get some cat 6 cable to hook PC 2 up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=cat6&lp=8&type=product&cp=1&id=1091099783878

Instead of the wireless device, and you'll be rolling.

IGF

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

One other suggestion regarding a Wired (or wireless for that matter) router...

When you're searching for them, look in the specs of the router, and look for "SPI" or Stateful Packet Inspection. If you get a wireless router, make sure it has SPI in addition to WPA for its wireless security protocol.

IGF

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  13. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

I'm hesitant to suggest this, but you might save yourself time, money and hassle by hiring a pro to set this up for you. My main reason for suggesting this is I'm still not sure of what your setup is, and I don't think you are sure either. No offense. :)

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

True;... he's "presuming" he has DSL.. he might still be on Dial Up for all we know. :)

15. solomansousana

solomansousana

If you have a DSL modem, then more than likely you already have an extra line in at the back of the modem to allow another computer connection. Every DSL modem I've seen from Verizon and Cavalier have had 3 to 4 connections in the back allowing the addition of extra computers to the network. All you need to do is run the ethernet cable from the extra computer to the back of the DSL modem, and contact your DSL provider to find out if they allow two computers to be on at the same time.

I use a cable modem running into a Pent 4 Quad core server and have my home pc along with several laptops connected wirelessly. The wireless connection is using an encrypted WAP with 46 character security code and 128bit encryption, in addition, my access point is into a Watchguard Firebox® X750e Core dedicated hardware firewall.

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Is there one that doesn't allow 2 PC's on at the same time? The router should take care of routing traffic to the other PC's.

IGF

17. solomansousana

solomansousana

My cable company allows only one computer per client to be online at any given time. I am having to pay an additional $10 per month to have multiple computers online. I tried at one point when I set up my home server and wireless points and while the server had access my desktop and laptops did not. Once I contacted the cable company and authorized the additional $10/month, within 2 min all my connected computers had access. The digital cable modem provided does have 3 ethernet ports in addition to the one being used by the Watchguard device. I'm not totally sure how Verizon and Cavalier DSL work on multiple computers on at the same time, but I presume they are just as greedy as my cable provider lol.

18. StayinTriggerHappy

StayinTriggerHappy aren't we all?

that is funny because i've had two modems using two phonelines in my own home before...maybe it was just magic that made the second one work if it's impossible as you say.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thats the first I've ever heard of something like that... I'd have promptly given them the finger and went elsewhere. I know Brighthouse has no such policy.

20. DeLandSkyjumper

No, it's DSL, the modem/internet is thru Windstream or something to that effect. Only connections available on the back of the modem is 1 phone line port, 1 ethernet port and 1 USB port and the power supply.