How to handle??

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by docj78, Feb 15, 2010.

1. docj78

docj78

What would be the LEGAL implications of the following:

10 p.m. on week night, no expected visitors and doorbell rings in 3-4 rapid ring "burst".

Nobody is at the door upon looking out peephole and side windows, So you slowly open the door and step out onto front porch (weapon still holstered/or not).

At this point you see a person in the neighbors yard across the street run a few steps and quickly lay down next to shrubs in obvious attempt to hide.

Do you:
    1. holler for person to i.d. themself?
    2. go back inside and call police, and then your neighbor to warn them?
    3. I'm guessing that you could not legally draw(or have hand on) your weapon and approach suspected perp, while summoning help/LE.

Strange situation, but it happened to me. I ended up doing option #1. It turned out to be a neighborhood kid out with his friends goofing around. He stood up once he knew that I had seen him, and yelled that I did in fact see him. I promptly oredered him to go home.

It got me thinking though... If this had been some sort of bad guy, to what extent can someone intervene beyond option 2 and/or 1?

This seems to play into any other situation where you witness some suspicious action in light of some other precipitating factors.

I've read about folks stating that they would hold the perp until the cops got there--but how realistic and/or legal is that??

To me, it seems that this is NOT a SD situation, and therefore option 1 or 2 are the end of it. Either way--Since we are NOT LE, to what extent can we intervene in witnessed non-lethal criminal activity as citizens?

2. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

What criminal activity? I doubt that ding-dong-ditch is illegal...

3. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

First, why would you go out the door if you see no one there after a doorbell? IF you're going to go out, go out a different door and circle around in the dark other wise you would be bait for just what you saw in your neighbors yard. It'd be best to let the LEOs earn their wage, call 911 and then call the neighbor and watch. Pass on any changes and watch your own back doors in case the diversion was to get you out the front in the first place.

4. failsafe

failsafe

Turn on all exterior lighting..Keep your azz in the house..Call the neighbor's if need be...Cop's if necessary..

5. stricky

stricky Unknown to Me

option 4: send your rather large dog out to go to the bathroom.

6. farley45

farley45

Good thing it wasn't a bad guy because you didn't think about the option of not opening the door and making yourself and home more accessable to ill intentions.

7. docj78

docj78

I actually thought about the concept of the "diversion" immediately upon not seeing anyone out the windows. I already knew that back door was locked. In the meantime, the wife was turning on all the outside lights.

I did ponder the safety(or lack of) what I did. That's why I posted the experience. I live in a very safe neighborhood, but won't make that mistake again.

What about the hollering at the suspect vs. approach(armed/drawn or not) vs. pretending not to see and calling the cops??

I know it's nobody's job but the police--but I would have felt less resolution had the suspect gotten up and ran--and the police arrived to find/catch nobody--even it it was just some teen jerking around.

8. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

1. Not a real good idea.
    2. Pretty good idea.
    3. Really bad idea.

9. docj78

docj78

Very succint.

Def. the route I'll take next time.

10. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

I entered responses to your post in red above. You might want to talk to your neighbors and have a plan on how to handle strangers in the area. More eyes watching is always a good thing.

One thing that I've heard recommended is while turning on outside lights be turning off the inside lights at the same time. That makes it far easier to see without being seen.

11. Dexters

Dexters

How to answer the door has not changed since my mother taught me.

Knock or door bell rings - my response "Who is it?" - no answer don't open the door. Someone responds - you know them, open the door; you don't know them, you politely ask 'What do you want?'

12. docj78

docj78

This reminds me--I actually did turn off all of the inside lights by th front windows so that I could look out through the blinds. I also told my wife to avoid the windows altogether.

Either way--next time I'll simply remain locked in, and ready should someone actually attempt entry. Strangely, although I did sleep better knowing that "all was o.k" and I had determined it to be some kids. I did have some trouble sleeping d/t my mind contemplating how/what I had done. Again--that's why I posted it here.

13. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

An now you can sleep even better knowing you have done the brain work! Good job.

14. docj78

docj78

LOL:wavey:

15. Thorazine

Thorazine

None of the above.

I don't even bother going to the front door unless I am excepting someone and they always telephone me first and / or I know they are coming (UPS / delivery / etc).

16. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

Oh geeez!

You just took ALL the fun out of this thread just when it was about to go BANZAI TACTICAL!

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

17. rohanreginald

rohanreginald Novice

you should wake up everyone in the house, and flee to a safe location at least 5.25 miles away. Then call 911 and report it.

18. bandmasterjf

bandmasterjf

Our CCW instructor told us if it was someone actively trying to break in to shoot through the door. I $500 door is cheap in the whole scheme of things.

As far as your scenario, I would call my neighbor first and then call 911. You could be on the phone with some 20 year old kid for 10 minutes while your neighbor is being violated. Only takes a few seconds to say "Hey Bob some freak is lurking around your house" and then calling 911. Or better yet, you call Bob and let your wife call 911.

You never know how many folks are outside in a situation like that and could get yourself in some serious trouble.

19. docj78

docj78

:rofl:"flee"

20. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

+1-----this is what comes to my mind as well.