close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to get started

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by turrican, May 9, 2004.

1. turrican

turrican

Hi I would love to get started at a beginner level in gssf. I was wondering when the matches are. I know I need to join then what?It seems like ther is only one match a year in my area. Do most of the competitors travel around the country?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

3. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Yes you must join GSSF first to shoot a match. All the rules and match schedule is located at www.gssfonline.com. Please look them over then if you need any clarification please don't hesitate to post here and most of us would be more than happy to help.

4. jptsr1

jptsr1

One I shot at in GA was a while ago but you just showed up paid and shot. I don’t know if it’s different now. You might want to take a look at their website.

J.

5. turrican

turrican

So I gues you need to have the money to travel from state to state a lot then.

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

FWIW, sounds like we're on a similar journey. There are alot of good resources on both GSSFOnline and this forum, particularly the tips section and the veterans here are very generous with their insight and answers to any reasonable questions. Reasonable search criteria can net alot of answers from GT threads here as well. Due to some other commitments (like an amateur BASS tournament schedule for one) I won't even begin competing till next year but have begun practicing and doing all the research. Read the rules, practice, read the tips, practice, keep up on GSSF news, practice... another thing I do is to look at match results in the B & C divisions of Amateur Civilian to realize that, yes, I could have a stake in this thing just like anyone else. And the fact that I don't have to put big $$$ into my G17 is sweet.

Although close to retirement, I'm certainly not well off enough to make every match, but I plan to target the matches in my geographic area. Besides the Twin Cities, there always seem to be 3 or 4 more that could be done with a couple days off around a weekend for driving. And, amazingly, my wife totally endorses that we might make whatever event is close to Las Vegas. Heading south out of a Wisconsin winter is a no-brainer.^c

Besides the sources above, I find match results interesting in that a little bit of analysis will show common mistakes people are making (like running targets at Warp-5 then adding tons of time because of misses on 20/25-yd targets). I guess you can choose to make the ones you want, just one match per year or all. Each match pretty much stands on its own, so it's not like you have to make them all to be competitive. Perhaps you can hook up with someone who's coming thru your area on the way to a match & share driving/gas. Best of luck. :)

7. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

for most people GSSF is a one or two match per year deal

shoot idpa or ipsc the rest of the year

for beginners... as mentioned above - shoot accurately even if it means slowing down some

edit

On the 5 to Glock and Glock M, almost all of the of the B's, and literally 99 44/100th % of the C's) will have (the sum or average of) their penalty times exceed their (the sum or average of) raw times - the times that they actually shot

And those in the bottom half of A will likely have their penalty times approach (if not exceed) their raw time.

/edit

they are trying to shave a second off their score by shooting faster and end up losing 10 seconds due to a miss, or 5 seconds due to a D

penny wise and pound foolish

8. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Closest match to me is 150 miles away, and I travel as far as 450 miles one way to shoot GSSF matches.;)

9. myglockisa23

myglockisa23

I have two matches within 50 miles..... Richmond and Waldorf...but have traveled 400+ miles to Anderson SC....

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Holy cow, Rusty you're right! I knew the basic premise was true, but hadn't looked at it in quite that detail; just looked at some more match results here. Pretty amazing (or painful I suppose) to see what could've happened if Shooter X had taken 3-4 seconds longer to not incur 50 seconds of additional time. Get's my attention, anyway. :)

11. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

Yes, by all means join the GSSF. You may have to travel some but it is well worth the trip.
    If I were you I'd also sign up my wife or girl friend! Then the further matches won't seem so far.
    The number of female GSSF competitors has increased quite a bit over the last 10+ years. These matches are a very good way to improve your marksmanship and safety skills. I strongly encourage you to include your wife or girl friend in this competition.