close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to get started in Reloading

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Turn4811

Turn4811

I do not care for Lee equipment except for their dies. I just had had bad luck with it.

A single stage press kit would probably be the way to go with those requirements. You will get the essentials but you will also realize that there are better pieces from other manufacturers. Also 9mm is a low margin round so it will take time to recoup any investment in cost savings. A single stage will also take time to load up so you will be hard pressed to produce more than 50 rounds per hour.

If you shop around and buy quality essential items you can probably set yourself up with a single stage setup w/ dies for around $300. For about twice that you can get a Dillon setup that can produce many times the amount a single stage can.

2. NUB2Glocks

NUB2Glocks

Thank you, just what I needed to know. If you happen to have links on items you recommend, that would be awesome (like brands and model numbers/basic items needed, etc).
    Thanks for your time!
    Best regards,
    Ed

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Go to the first page of this thread. Read the thread. Pick the LCT setup and buy what I recommend. It's that basic. If I was starting over I would use the Case Activated Lee Auto Drum not the Auto disc. But the purpose of this thread was to answer your exact question. Just read and write down the recommendations and put that in your cart at Midway USA or similar. You can start a new thread in the main section and people will let you know if you missed anything. But get the Lee Kit at Kempf's or piece it out. Don't buy the Lee Classic Turret kit from Midway. It comes with the crappy Lee scale.

4. NUB2Glocks

NUB2Glocks

Thanks, I will look into it.
    Best regards,
    Ed

5. noylj

noylj

What do you want?
    Buy a reloading manual. Buy two if you can. Read the reloading section(s).
    You could buy a $40 Lee Reloading Press, a $33 3 die set for Lee 9mm die, a $14 Lee taper crimp die, a $13 Lee Ram Primer, a $72 Lee Classic Powder Measure, and, if you want, a $30 6"dial caliper. You can just wipe off the exterior of the cases, so you don't HAVE to spend money on tumblers and such. It wouldn't be as fun as spending more, but it will produce great ammo. You can then, after you are comfortable, know WHAT you want and can save for that.
    The powder measure would be mounted on the bench. You can either charge a case, immediately inspect the charge, and seat a bullet or you can charge a case, stick it in a $6 reloading tray, and inspect all 50 charged cases (and try not to miss any or spill any).

NUB2Glocks likes this.
  6. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

Best advice I can give to a new reloader is like already said buy a reloading manual or two and read the how too section. If there is someone who can help you this is even better. I would also start with a single stage press and learn the process. If at a later date you want to go progressive keep in mind there is always a place on the bench for a single stage press. One thing people don't mention with the progressives is there can be a high number of culls. you will need a means of cleaning brass. You will need a means of measuring things with a dial or electronic caliper. A good scale is in order. Lee makes things that work but you get what you pay for. I started with Lee carbides and it was like running sand during the sizing process. I found RCBS, Redding and Hornaday for example makes carbides that are smoother. Make better ammo? I doubt it but the others are much smoother.

Powder choice...some powders work better than others. It just kills me when a guy wants one powder to load everything. Not always going to happen. So I have ended up with a powder that might work well in a couple of cartridges but not all. I look to put as many bullets through the same hole and often times I have a different powder for the same cartridge but for different bullet weights.

Remember you are your own Quality Control. Build a squib and it's your fault. For rifle the best money I spent to get bullets in the same hole was a primer pocket uniformer especially if using GI rifle brass. I shoot '06, 308 and 223 in gas guns for High Power.

keep good notes on your reloads. This will keep you from making the same mistake twice. I've gone so far as to list those loads which shoot the most accurate including the primer used. For example I have a '06 hunting load for my Winny feather weight in '06. And yes it freaking boots but I can put 5 rounds inside an inch at 100 yards. This load was developed with CCI 200 primers. I told a guy about the load and he said BS and challenged me. I was out of the CCI's and substituted WIN large rifle primers. Turned out to be a mistake because the group opened up. good luck Tim

tom mac likes this.