close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to get started in match shooting

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by kimo, Jan 9, 2003.

1. kimo

kimo

I am a new Glock owner, G35. Never been involved in a shooting match. Don't know the first thing about it but am interested.

What are the match rounds like? What do you have to master to be able to begin to shoot in them?

I live in southern West Virginia. Are there matches in this area or do I have to travel?

Are there fees to register in the matches? Required clothing etc.?

Inquiring minds want to know.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are many types of pistol matches. This forum deals with GSSF (Glock) matches.

In a GSSF match, you must be able to load your pistol and pull the trigger. No fancy holsters, mag carriers or clothes. Ear and eye protection is required. No experience necessary. Your G35 may only be used in Competition (amateur) and Unlimited (Master) categories.

There are 28 national GSSF matches each year. The 2003 schedule is not yet available, but rumor is that there may be a match in Marietta Ohio. Other matches closest to WV, depending on where in the state you live, are: Waldorf, Md, Richmond, VA, Lexington, KY, Indianapolis, IN, and Statesville, NC.

IDPA requires a suitable holster and a concealment garment. Mag carriers are nice.

IPSC requires a suitable holster and mag carriers and plenty of magazines.

You will get more suggestions on IDPA and IPSC matches in our General Competition Forum here on G/T.

All matches require entry fees. GSSF requires membership.

Find a match and give it a try.

3. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

kimo
    Go to www.gssfonline.com you will learn about the GSSF matches and will also enjoy them once you attend one. In my opinion this is a good place to start.
    You may want to take a friend who has a G19 or G17 and borrow it to enter the amatur civilian match also. OR You can find another friend that has a G30 and enter the amatur civilian, subcompact and majorsub category's then use your G35 for the competition category.
    First take a chance and join GSSF for $20 annual membership you will get more information from them. Let me know how you do shooting.