close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to Get Content to an IPAD....Explain??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Nalapombu, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey all.

Something I am curious about with the IPAD is how you get the content you want to use onto your IPAD.

I have quite a few books in EPUB and Kindle Fire format (MOBI). I also have MP3 files I would want to listen to and some video files. I also have a lot of pics.

Since the IPAD doesn't have an external USB port or a place to use a micro sd card or other storage device, how would I get all this stuff on the IPAD? I can see using ITunes for the MP3 files, but what about the others? What about PDF and DOC files?

Does all of that content go through the ITunes program to get uploaded to the IPAD when you charge it? Or would you connect to the CLOUD from your laptop PC and upload it to that and then be able to access it on your IPAD? Can the Apple Cloud drive be accessed from a WINDOWS based laptop or desktop?

Any info?

Thanks

Nalajr

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

When I'm working with a bunch of pictures they have an adaptor that plugs into the IPad and you put your Camera card into it and they import into the IPad.

For mp3 files I use ITunes, for PDF and other files I just email them to my IPad.

For the book type files I have no idea as I just buy a few books on Amazon and have them delivered to my IPad using the Kindle app.

3. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Several methods, some of which you touched on (ITunes synch, cloud). Can use several others including:

e-mail content to yourself from a PC / laptop and open/save on IPad
    use the built-in wireless access point capabilities of some apps to just wireless transfer to the app on your IPad
    Download the data from a shared storage site on web
    Let the App itself do the download such as Kindle for IPad

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  4. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

Music, iTunes.
    For your kindle content, you download the free kindle app and download your kindle content straight to the iPad wirelessly.
    As far as documents, I use iBooks. I typically email myself the content and when you preview it you are offered the option to "open in iBooks" which will save it there.
    If you're interested in getting an iPad and plan to mostly surf, email, and listen to music I say go for it. I almost never use my desktop anymore at home. I can do everything on my iPad.

5. Nalapombu

Thanks for the replies....

Learning a bit about this thing.

As for the books, I have a bunch and some are in Kindle format and others are EPUB. I know there is a Kindle app that you can use to buy books from Amazon and it will get it to your IPAD. How would I get the books I already have on my hard drive to an IPAD? Would the best method be the cloud? I have Calibre which is a great program for Ebooks. It will convert whatever format you have to any other electronic book format. I don't know what format the Ipad uses or prefers, but I would say Calibre would be able to convert my books into whatever format I needed for an IPAD.

If I understood the post correctly, do you use IBooks to open documents? Is that the program you use to create and edit documents and spreadsheets and such? Is there not an Office app for the IPAD or part of the IPAD OS that does word processing and the like? Just asking cause I'm not familiar with what's on these things and how you go about doing stuff like composing a document or spreadsheet or presentation.

As for getting one, I go back and forth right now. In the future I definitely see myself getting one. Right now though, I think I would be better served with a new laptop. Also I don't know how comfortable it would be to constantly be holding the IPAD in one hand while browsing or watching a video or whatever. Seems like you'd get tired of holding it after a while.

Nalajr

6. cphilip

cphilip

7. Nalapombu

How would that gizmo help import Electronic Books?

Am I missing something?

Nalajr

8. Kloogee

Kloogee

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

You should be able to import all that stuff into itunes and then sync it over.

FWIW, my 11" Macbook Air has basically ended my ipad utility with the exception of movie watching on a flight (battery life) or 3G access when out and about.

10. Resqu2

Resqu2

In my opinion the IPad is the king when it come to media consumption, for a lot of creation and saving and working with lots of files I'd go with the MacBook Pro or the new MacBook Air.

95% of what I do I use the IPad, Between me and my wife it sees constant use, our MacBook Pro is used for finances and my new IMac sees little to no use.

My IPad is my night stand alarm clock, my weather alert in case of bad weather, My radio through Pandora, my book reader through Kindle, my police scanner, my email program, my web browser. I also use it for texting some and of course my music, pictures and videos are on it. The list goes on but you get the picture.

11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I'm still stuck on how you have the Kindle book files. Where were your reading them. . . or downloading them from????

IF you have an Amazon account and legitimate Kindle books, you can redownload them to your iPad from Amazon.

I've got a few reader/PDF reader programs I've mucked with. Honestly, I forget how I got the files onto the machine - probably just emailed them to myself.

12. Nalapombu

Ask a question about putting ebooks on an IPAD and now I'm a thief.

I have a KINDLE FIRE and an AMAZON ACCOUNT. Should I walk you through that?

You do realize that there are websites that have MILLIONS of books available for FREE in any format you want? Maybe you should take a look at Archive.org.

Hell it's damn near not even worth asking questions here anymore.

Nalajr

13. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Itunes.

Documents, get them in, or to, .pdf format.

Go into itunes, add to library.

plug in your device and point to the device.

in the devices menu, select the document. Apply or synch should get it done.

music, same thing, add it to your library, get in aac3 format or whatever, .wavs take up too much room.

Pics go under photos.

14. Nalapombu

G29, thank you and the others that answered for the help.

Nalajr

15. Adjuster

Adjuster

Does the IPad have Bluetooth?

/

16. Toyman

Toyman

Click on Manage Your Kindle

On that page you'll see:

Click Learn More next to that to learn more about it.

17. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

Copy and paste.

Oh wait, that's my Android :whistling:

18. JRS

JRS

lol i know...my first thoughts were trade in ipad for a tablet with usb and...done.

19. dwhite53

dwhite53

I love my Android tablet. Plug the USB into it and my laptop and BING I'm copying files. So easy I do it sometimes just for the heck of it. [​IMG] No FOG (oops sorry) CLOUD. No special connectors (Ishackles). Just simple USB bliss.

All the Best,
    D. white

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  20. mgentry

mgentry

Use iCloud to get them on your iPad.