close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to generate hyperlinks with Excel?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by dennis67, Jan 23, 2006.

1. dennis67

dennis67 Voice of reason

I'm not sure if this can be done - or if I'm just missing the point. I've tried a few things, but I'm not very good with excel.

What I'm looking to do is take a url, a title or description of what site it is and turn both into a hyperlink... like this:

| represents new column

http://www.glocktalk.com | Glock talk | (a href="http://www.glocktalk.com")Glock talk(/a)

( and ) represents < and > in the example so they're visible on the board.

..and so on with a group of site urls and titles - so essentially I'm looking for excel to generate the 3rd column of code from what I paste into columns A and B. So that column 3 could be cut and pasted into an html document and be good to go.

Does this even make sense? I've searched the excel help, google and I can't really find what I'm looking for.

Thanks advance for any tips or advice. I appreciate it.

2. Egyas

Egyas Troll Hater

Simple. Type the info into a cell, like "Glock Talk". Highlight the text (not the cell). Then (with the text still highlighted) click on the "Insert" menu, and choose "Hyperlink". A new box will pop, and just paste (or type) the URL (www.glocktalk.com) into the box. After hitting "OK", the hyperlink should be active.

I'm doing this rough from memory w/o Excel in from of me (I'm on my Linux box) so the names of the menus might be a little off.

3. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Assuming the URL and the title are in cells A1 and B1, respectively, in the third column, type the following formula:
    ="(a href="""&A1&""")"&B1&"(/a)"

...Again, changing the ( and ) with the < and >

Joey

4. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

BTW, that's a pretty cool idea. I think I'm going to start using this spreadsheet when I author webpages.

Thanks,
    Joey

5. dennis67

dennis67 Voice of reason

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much.
    ~woohoo~ ^5 ^c
    That's so perfect.

Thanks for the effort Egyas - I appreciate it. jferrante's just caters more to my lazy side in giving me the automatic way I was hoping for.

This'll be a great help, thanks again.