close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to further reduce gun crime? (discussion)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jetdefiant, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jetdefiant

jetdefiant

I feel like in order to start a discussion like this I always have to put disclaimers so here we go.

Disclaimer: I am very pro gun, think gun control laws are silly, I loathe "common sense gun laws", assault weapon bans, no carry zones, I think you get the picture.

Having said that I ask how can we further reduce gun crime? I'm not talking about a gun law. I feel that the root of the crime is not the gun, but the person. Now granted we have free will to make law abiding decisions or law breaking decisions, but is there some way to "social engineer" our society?

Crime comes from a multitude of factors, not the availability of guns as we can agree. If there were no guns, these gangs would just be killin people with samurai swords. It could be said crime is a combination of factors such as poverty, values related to upbringing, and so on and so forth. The NRA seems to focus on fighting anti-gun laws which I think is good and they should keep it up, but why hasn't anyone done a study to see where the root of this crime comes from and attack it at the source. (Maybe this is already being attempted but we don't know about it?)

My inner geek wants to use the metaphor: Why try to hold off the zerg rush when you can just destroy the spawning pool.

Some of these people go on the wrong side of the law because it's the easiest way to be accepted and/or make money than go to school and earn an education. This is just one of many factors so I'm not suggesting attacking any one source would lead to Eutopia, just more of a brainstorm at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Remove the word "gun" as a prefix to "crime".

3. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

How about we keep the mother****ers actually IN JAIL, instead of early release, or parole? I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut, that the asses committing most of the "gun crimes" are repeat offenders.......

4. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

Lock the criminals up and toss away the key.

5. Chad Landry

Nah. Just shoot 'em.

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Well... my solutions don't seem to fly well with most people, but they would be effective. From what I am seeing the majority of crimes involving guns centers around gang activity. So knowing that gangs are a large part of the problem, eliminate them.

Round them all up and drop them on a deserted island out in the middle of the pacific. That will eliminate a large population of criminals. It also reduces the financial burden on law abiding citizens and removes the criminal element completely from society in such a way that they cannot possibly reintegrate and pick up where they left off. Oh and the island will have one or two naval ships watching for people trying to escape. Those caught will be shot on sight and left for shark food.

Next any person found guilty of using a gun in the commission of a crime. Automatic sentence of 40 years hard labor. No parole for good behavior. 40 years hard labor. Chain gang anyone?

IF the person fires the gun and injures/kills their victim, death by either firing squad or hanging. Make it a public display to ensure the message gets out.

Now the KEY to reducing crimes and accidents with firearms of ANY type is education. Mandatory gun safety and handling for ALL children. This is to be followed up with recertification every 2-4 years. I mean if we have to have a license to drive and have to pass a test to drive then why not have something similar for firearms. Keep in mind not everyone drives, just like not everyone owns a firearm. But the premise is not for licensing the weapon but the person and the license is for validation of passing a firearms safety course.

Just a couple ideas off the top of my head.

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Criminals should be locked up in jail.

Once they are in jail, inspect their cells for guns. Confiscate any found.

If they are violent criminals, such as armed robbery, murder, etc, keep them locked up for a very long time.

That should reduce the number of gun crimes.

8. Chad Landry

You can't license a right, that makes it a privilege.

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Guns don't commit crimes. All your disclaimers aside, your DUndies are showing.....

10. silentpoet

silentpoet

Kill more criminals, would cut down on the recidivism.

11. major

major Rejected member

I think there should be a rule. If a BG tries to kill, rape, rob, or maim you or anyone in your presence, you should have the right to kill them DRT on the spot....no questions asked.

12. Chad Landry

I can get on board with this.

13. goatranch

goatranch

Actually DO something about our over crowded prisons
    Actually ENFORCE the laws we have had for years-No new laws.
    NO plea bargaining
    You do the crime you actually DO the time

The problem is US. Everyone. We send the message that crime is not that big of a deal. You don't do much time. We'll give you a few times before something worse happens to ya. You will get out sooner than your full sentence. You can get a good lawyer to "get you off."

In this country crime DOES pay. Easier than getting a real job.

14. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

IMO the only way to deter negative criminal behavior is through the threat of consequences. from a legal stand point, harsher sentences is a given.

there is, however, no greater consequence for a criminal than to fear for their life. what i mean by this is that when you don't put restrictions on law abiding citizens, i.e. "gun control measures", and you actually allow them to arm and defend themselves everywhere, all the time.... well eventually these thugs will get the idea that there are no easy victims, no safe zones.

we also need to pass legislation like what has recently been proposed in VA, which would not allow citizens who are involved in a justified self defense shooting to be sued in civil court.

15. jetdefiant

jetdefiant

I'm not quite sure what DUndies are.

I never said guns commit crimes, I just included guns instead of crime in the discussion because this is a gun forum and I felt it would be more appropriate. If the title is misleading then I apologize. I felt that if we were able to reduce gun crime then hopefully public opinion would move further on the pro-gun side, whereas if I only mentioned crime, then people might not associate the reduced crime with a pro-gun attitude.

16. Chad Landry

I understand. But the term "gun crime" gives people the idea that guns are criminal.

17. mteagle1

mteagle1

The way to reduce crime is to bring back corporal punishment to the school system. Teach them early enough that when they do something wrong it is going to hurt. Legislate fines for kids that don't behave in school and the ability to remove money from welfare checks and parents will change their attitude. I see too many kids at stores that are totally uncontrolled because parents are afraid someone will report them to child services as abusive parents. There is a difference between abuse and discipline. Too often juvenile offenders are given a slap on the wrist for 2nd, 3rd and 4th offenses but sending them to jail with career criminals is not the answer either. Establish a good boot camp system and put their *****es to work every day and enforce performance and attitude with some old fashioned PT. Being a 17 year old high school drop out in Army Airborne Infantry jump school taught me why there was a need for discipline. Bring back a draft for the military like Israel and other countries do, at age somewhere between 18 and 21 require they do 2 years in the military or have their welfare checks and student loans stopped.

18. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

I think we should do something to stop "Pants Crime." After all, recent studies have shown that well over 99.8% of crimes committed in the U.S. are done so by people wearing pants. Perhaps some sort of pants licensing system?

19. jetdefiant

jetdefiant

lol, that actually made me laugh, thanks for that :rofl:

20. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Damn !.... You're on to something here !!!....:thumbsup:

:supergrin: