close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to explain to the wife's family.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Throop210, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Throop210

Throop210

How do I help them understand why I conceal carry? I've been carrying my glock 26 in a crossbreed holster now for a little over a year and it has not been a problem because they never even knew I had it. That all changed yesterday when I went to nieces 2 year birthday party. I have a 2 year old of my own and he just seems to be putting words together better everyday. Well he knows what a gun is and he knows I carry it with me. He went to give me a hug at the birthday party and his left arm hit my gun and he says "daddy's gun" and points. Well of course my sister in law as well has her mother heard this and now they are all pissed at me. They ask why I would need to bring a gun to a 2 year olds birthday party. How would you handle this situation and help them understand?

2. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Yep....kids can be the undoing of many "secrets". They're just too honest to know when to keep their yaps shut.

A lot of people would freak out about having a gun within a half mile radius of a child, and if they are kool-aid drinking moon-bats, there isn't any way to explain, justify or even discuss it with them.

Lot's of luck with the whole deal. Maybe the best tactic here is to toss the wifey the hot potato and let her deal with her family on the subject. and maybe explain how she feels safer for herself and your child when you are able to defend them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012

3. redbrd

redbrd

Tell them it because your teleporter is broken.

4. Throop210

Throop210

I wish I could toss that potato to the wife but she doesn't like guns either and of course sides with them. I'm screwed lol.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

First, you've got to teach your kid not talk about your gun. Also make sure to teach gun safety to your kid, as an ongoing process from now till his teens and beyond. But obviously time to start now.

You carry a gun, because like a seat belt, you never know when you are going to need it. You hope never to get into an automobile crash, and you hope never to have to use your gun.

Pretty much that simple, that short. Don't debate it with them. State that much to them and move on. They will have to accept you as you are. Refuse to talk about it more than that. Don't answer questions as to if you are carrying.

One last point, hope not to derail your thread with it, as it is just an option open to you: If your kid at 2 is a handful, consider the option of empty chamber carry. I did that with a 26 when my son was 2. Rough housing, day to day living, etc, I wanted to reduce the possibility of his getting his hands on the trigger. It was just an extra bit of safety while still treating the gun as loaded and keeping it away from him. As he got just a little older and understood more about guns, I transitioned back to chambered carry. I'm just mentioning the idea, knowing 99% of GT is against it :)

6. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Simple answer: " I am willing to use deadly force to protect my loved ones".

7. JimmyN

JimmyN

Ask them if they have smoke detectors in their house. If they do is it because they expect to have a fire any day now, or just in case? Ask if they wear seatbelts when driving and if so is it because they know they're going to be in a accident before they get back home, or do they wear them just in case. Do they have life insurance because they expect to die any day now, or just in case.

You carry a personal defense sidearm that you never expect to need.... but have it with you just in case.

The "why did you need to bring that to a (whatever event it is)" statement is common. That implies that you only have it because you were going to a party. But you didn't "bring it to the party" anymore than you intentionally decided to bring your shoes or your shirt to the party. Did they ask why in the world you needed to bring your wallet, which you also have with you all the time, to a kids birthday party? Probably not.

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Pretty simple, you point back to your son and say "see that little man, his life is worth protecting". For someone to be angry about it doesn't make sense. It's no different than a swiss army knife in your pocket.

9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Ooooh Boy. Yep, yer' screwed. Gonna' be a tough row to hoe here. Logic may not even be able to come into the discussion with some folks and you'll always be labeled the family "gun nut" and they won't let their little kids come visit you....hmmm. Maybe there is an upside to this deal.:supergrin:

Lotsa' luck with this one, but if the wife ain't on your side, then I'm afraid you're on your own and the deck is stacked against you.

10. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

"Because I like to shoot people that ask why I conceal carry."

11. Throop210

Throop210

Great suggestions. I'll try to hit them with some of these and if that doesn't work then screw it. I might just end up that family gun nut as you suggest.

12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

You better hope that they never understand, because that kind of person can usually only learn through direct, traumatic personal experience.

I would just tell them that it is a choice, like exercising, wearing seatbelts, or looking for the exits when entering a public place. Each of us is responsible for ensuring the safety of those we care about, and no one should judge another for the choices they make unless they have some substantial impact on the person complaining.

Many people deal with life by choosing to live in condition white because it requires no mental effort. For most of them it works quite well, odds are nothing bad is going to happen to them anyway. If you are lucky you will lug around your G26 for your whole life and never need it.

If you can reach the end of your life and ask yourself, "Wow, did I carry that damn gun around my whole life for nothing?" you win.

13. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

The same reason I got my CC permit - because I can.

I don't know why you need an explanation to exercise a constitutional right.

14. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Why explain anything? If they say something just tell them "I carry a gun. That's just how it is."

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

I think this nails it -- :agree:

To the OP - You know the next thing will be - you are welcome to come inside my home - but no guns allowed.

I know I would be faced with this if some of my relatives knew I CC.

No doubt - people have the right to not have guns in their home - it is their home - they get to decide.

Course you can always decide to not go inside the house.

I have left my CC gun in the car a few times - because I knew the people did not want guns in their house - and don't think it would be right for me to bring something into their home without their knowledge.

Strange way my brain works - if they ever find out I do CC and tell me to not bring my gun inside their home - I would then just not go to their home. :shocked:

My sister was a progressive liberal anti gun democrat - we got along OK in general - but disagreed on many things. We would have friendly debates all the time.

Her husband got promoted and she ended up living right by Memphis. Got some exposure to crime and then she called me up and ask me what type of GUN I would recommend for HD that was small enough to also be CARRIED. :shocked:

Last time she was in Houston we actually agreed on politics - and talked guns a little too. :cool:

She ended up with a .380 auto - and has also changed her political view - I think she is turning into a conservative.

16. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

GreenDrake says it all for me
    As is your wifes life. Even if she doesn't like it. End of discussion as far as I'd be concerned. YMMV

You could go thru old news stories and find examples of family members or outsiders terminally interrupting parties and family gatherings, church meetings, etc... but why bother? Haters gonna hate, bad things do happen to good people every day, and your job is to be a father and husband... so keep on keeping on.

17. Resqu2

Resqu2

Tell them to read the news and wake up as to whats happening around them then ask why they don't want to protect their own family? It took a few local news stories before my wife started asking "you do have your gun?" as were leaving for the day.

18. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I'll give you a good price on that 26 when they finally wear you down to the point where you give it up.

19. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

It is none of their business. In laws are not family, if you don't believe me get a divorce and find out.

20. kenpoprofessor

kenpoprofessor

Pretty simple, don't go to that house. You will not convince them of anything, or why you carry, they'll always retort with "well, you don't need a gun".

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde