Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need a little help. im going to be selling a few of my guns soon. you know same story, baby on the way, work slowing ect. ect. :)

anyway. i have never sold a handgun to a private person. (i.e. only a gun shop)

what is required by me? im not one to do things half assed. i want to cover my butt, make sure i have the right paper work ect.

or do i have to go thru a dealer?
oh, these would be face to face transfers...
thanks guys.

·
Boom Shacka
2,423 Posts
Hey Plum. Congrats on one hand. Sorry about the other.

With the new law change. I would say call public safety to get a real answer on how they are handling it. What are you getting rid of?
Better PM if you have a list or something. Would hate to get this locked because "your selling your guns here".

Best wishes for you and your Family. Life is just beginning. Life is good when your baby smiles at you.:embarassed:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh no. im not trying to sell my gun(s) here. just trying to figure out how the "process" works...

pm sent

·
GAP'r
940 Posts
The purchaser of your pistol will need to either have a purchase permit or their CPL. If they have a CPL, you'll need to pick up a form from your local PD used just for selling to CPL holders. If they have a purchase permit, fill it out as the SELLER and follow the directions on the permit.

·
Boom Shacka
2,423 Posts
Its even dumber now. the way it reads. I as a CCW holder still have to swear in front of a Notory that I can have a gun. Then a FFL has to do a check on me.

We deserve it all. We voted for these idiots. Or we did not fight enough to prevent the law.

I have no excuse. I did not write a letter or make a phone call. To busy with life. We are all guilty.

What can we do? Remember this when we vote next time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't think that is true. I just fill out the pistol permit purchase form in triplicate, get the seller and buyer to sign. The buyer gets one copy, one copy goes to to the State Police and seller keep one.

I also recommend you do a bill of sale that lists the parties, item and serial number. Then the seller should carefully check the CCW permit and drivers license. If possible, make a copy of both. That is what the gun dealer does so the buyer should understand. Confirm the data all matches and then look at the photo and then look at the person. it should all match.

Last but not lease, if you are the seller, go buy a new gun, and if the buy, go shoot your new gun (after you stop by the police station to register (I mean inspect) the gun.

- Steve

Its even dumber now. the way it reads. I as a CCW holder still have to swear in front of a Notory that I can have a gun. Then a FFL has to do a check on me.

We deserve it all. We voted for these idiots. Or we did not fight enough to prevent the law.

I have no excuse. I did not write a letter or make a phone call. To busy with life. We are all guilty.

What can we do? Remember this when we vote next time.

·
Boom Shacka
2,423 Posts
Thats how it used to be done. Now its supposed to be different. Now there is like 4 forms to do.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I went to the PD about three weeks ago and purchased using the old system so I don't think Barney will know. If I ask, it may force them to look into this and figure out they need to change the rules. :upeyes:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Agreed, but I would like to know what is the new way and what 4 forms you need to do. I hope that some day I can buy another gun. I just don't want to ask Barney for advice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guys...the "new" system doesn't take effect until 1/7/09. Until then, the "old" system still applies.

If you are selling to someone, they need to present either a purchase permit or, if they have a concealed pistol license, a pistol sales record (form RI-60).

If they are purchasing with a purchase permit, you as the seller are all done.

If they are purchasing with a RI-60, you (the seller) must mail a copy to Michigan State Police Records Division (Lansing, MI). The instructions are on the form itself.

AFTER 1/7/09, the seller will no longer be responsible for mailing the records copy. That will be the buyer's responsibility in either case (purchase permit or RI-60). The records copy will be dropped-off or mailed to the purchaser's "home" police department having jurisdiction (or Sheriff's Office where no police department having jurisdiction exists). There will no longer be any "safety inspection" required, so the gun no longer needs to come to the police or sheriff's department after 1/7/09.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This seems like a better process, what are the downsides and why are folks complaining?

Guys...the "new" system doesn't take effect until 1/7/09. Until then, the "old" system still applies.

If you are selling to someone, they need to present either a purchase permit or, if they have a concealed pistol license, a pistol sales record (form RI-60).

If they are purchasing with a purchase permit, you as the seller are all done.

If they are purchasing with a RI-60, you (the seller) must mail a copy to Michigan State Police Records Division (Lansing, MI). The instructions are on the form itself.

AFTER 1/7/09, the seller will no longer be responsible for mailing the records copy. That will be the buyer's responsibility in either case (purchase permit or RI-60). The records copy will be dropped-off or mailed to the purchaser's "home" police department having jurisdiction (or Sheriff's Office where no police department having jurisdiction exists). There will no longer be any "safety inspection" required, so the gun no longer needs to come to the police or sheriff's department after 1/7/09.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This seems like a better process, what are the downsides and why are folks complaining?
As the purchaser, you have to carry the completed copy of the purchase permit or the RI-60 for 30 days. Previously, there was no requirement to carry your safety inspection record (green card)...although, many believed there was such a requirement (including LEO's).

The main reason for the complaints is that the bill/act did not fully do away with handgun registration. Now that it is more convenient, those that want it fully repealed fear that there will be no "push" from gun owners since the process is convenient.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Or you can come over to WI & do a cash FTF. I know we don't have CC, need a new gov, but most other gun laws are pretty good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts