close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to do a Glock for OPEN IPSC?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Camogliano, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Camogliano

Camogliano

With a friend we are making some modifications to our Glock to turn them to the Open category of IPSC. (just for fun)

But we have some doubts:

1. - What is more efficient barrel, a compensated (KKM) or hybrid(storm lake)?
    2. - What caliber is the best one to make the conversion(9mm or .40)?

Our base of work is a Glock 35.

By your advice thank you,

(Sorry for my rusty ingles)

2. glock_40_calibe

glock_40_calibe Glocks Rock

My open gun is a .40 cal Glock 35, with a KKM 4 port comped barrel, and JPoint dot sight. If you do not plan to load your own match ammo, 40cal is the way to go, as most factory loads in that caliber will make major. Either way, it is a great feeling to sit back and watch the 2-3 thousand $ "custom" race guns choke and puke, while your glock is purring like a kitten.

3. mattburkett

mattburkett GrandMattster B

I really hate to add this but my $3500 Mclearn custom .38 super comp hasn't choked yet in a competition. I still have yet to see an open glock win the overall at any major championship.

Flame retardant clothes on!

:supergrin:

4. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Awww Matt, I can't believe you said that. :animlol: I guess you are tired of everyone picking on the real guns? :laughabove: You know you kind of have to expect those type things when you go to a site called "glocktalk". hahahaha.
    Realistically, by the time a person reaches the level to win a major match, they have had to buy every possible advantage they can get so Matt is probably right in that there may not be any wins at big matches with glocks. However, for all the folks that can't or won't spend the money for a $3500 open gun, the glock makes a nice affordable open gun. If a person just wants to have fun & shoot open, the glock is probably as good as anything & better than most open guns you can get into for less than $1000.
    As for the original question, if you can reload, I would say go with the 9mm because you can build a 28rd mag for it. The KKM barrel is probably better consistent quality but the storm lake is pretty affordable. I'm sure either one would do fine for a fun gun just to play. MLM

5. Trey

Trey

MB,

Do you consider the 2006 Winchester World challenge a major match?

Respectfully,

Trey

6. mattburkett

I absolutely agree with the above statement. Also check into ammo for the 9mm at Walmart - about $11 per hundred.

BTW wasn't the 2006 Winchester World challenge won by (If I remember correctly) Angus Hobdell who shoots for team CZ? I was talking overalls not class wins.

7. Yar

Yar

The handgunner has two portions. One shot for overall time called the Winchester, and the man on man called the STI. Sevigney (sp?) did win the winchester, and Angus won the shoot offs. They are two seperate matches shot on seperate days.

8. mattburkett

Technically the Overall was won by Angus Hobdell. "Angus Hobdell of CZ-USA named Grand Champion at the STI".The AH portion of the match that Dave won his division in must have been limited or production. To my knowledge Dave doesn't have an Open Glock. Will ask him on an upcoming radio show. :)

9. Trey

Trey

MB,

Please take a look at sevignyperformance.com.

I want a production gun like that. ;) It would really help my scores!!

Respectfully,

Trey

10. mattburkett

Trey,
    First time for everything! Just when you think you have something nailed down, someone has to go screw it up! :)
    You are absolutely correct! Nice one!
    http://www.glockjockey.com/
    Interesting, he only has had an Open SV up to that point that I knew about. Cool!Looks like about $1200 finished up on your gun. Not too bad of a price.
    For a glock, it looks pretty good too. Wonder how well it handles major?

Matt

11. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Hey Matt,
    It's always good to see you hanging out on here & posting. Just like a regular guy!
    As a side note, the two glock open guns I've shot(one is a glockjockey, the other is a Tom Novak) with 9 major are pretty flat but not as flat as normal heavy framed open guns. The advantage of the lighter frame is also a disadvantage. The other thing I consider a disadvantage is the loads must be a little shorter than the heavy guns. I don't particularly see the trigger as a disadvantage but perhaps it could be, especially for you S-I type shooters.
    Other advantages for the 9mm open gun are cheap brass if you reload or cheap practice ammo if you don't.
    Camogliano, what have you decided?
    Good luck, have fun, MLM

12. glock_40_calibe

glock_40_calibe Glocks Rock

That's just because I haven't taken all the lead out of my rear, and started to actually shoot to my potential, yet.

I don't think I've ever seen a McLearn custom. I may have, but don't recall one. So I guess I could say that I haven't seen one of those win any matches, here, either.

Of course, as most people on here know, it's not the gun that gets you to the top, it's the willingness to develop and fine tune your performance.

13. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

My only issue with using a Glock (G17 Sized Frames in 9x19) as an open gun is that once you start playing in the +160 PF range you dont have a lot of cartridge OAL to play with. Having said that I would not have second thoughts on using it in Open Minor, GSSF Unlimited or Steel.

14. Jakk

Jakk Millennium Member

I won't disagree that I've seen my share of "custom" guns choke. However, I've had custom Open guns built on both Para and STI frames, and both ran 100%.

The Open Glock I played with for a while was a different story. I finally sold off the comp and barrel. I now use that gun for GSSF with a scope and no comp.

For me, a 1911-based Open gun shoots flatter and more accurately than a Glock, and has a much better trigger pull. You can build a nice "budget" racegun out of a Glock, but eventually, you'll want to move up to something else.

15. Yar

Yar

I think the Glock 17 makes a great steel gun. In this form the light weight is an advantage when your using minor PF loads and need a quick transitioning gun. For major 9 I just feel the gun is just getting battered too much.

16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

The great thing about an open Glock is that it lets a guy like me, who can't afford a $3,500 gun, shoot in open class at the local match and then I can go shoot master unlimited at the next GSSF match with the same gun. If I was a pro, like Matt, I have no doubt I would be shooting some type of high dollar 1911, but the do-it-yourself Glock open gun works great for the little guys. Mine is a G22 with a KKM .40 cal comped barrel and JPoint sight.

17. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Alright Matt...I'll stoke this fire. :hugs:

I can't recall too many Majors won (in Open pistol) by anybody that wasn't a GM ? And, as far as I know, nobody has taken a Major 9 glock up that road...yet.

And, you know that there aren't too many (like you) that can get away from wearing that STI shirt...and all that comes with it.

Mclearn gun? When was the last time one of those won a major in Open pistol ??? :tongueout:

(jk...he would be my top choice for an Open gunsmith)

I did have an Open Glock in Major 9 that ran like a top. Then I decided to start dicking with it. :upeyes: Oh well...now I know how to get it to not run. ;)

18. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

There is no reason that a Glock can't be made competitive in Open Division. Can you build a Glock that is better then the various STI/SVI guns? Nope, I don't think so, but it is possible to build one that's good enough to win with. Having said that, durability does become a problem with a steady diet of 165-170 PF loads. So the question becomes why go with the Glock when you can when you can use something much more durable.

If Glock and a certain barrel manufacturer (KKM)would support the project, it would easy enough to do.

19. jobob

jobob

I never heard of Glocks having a durability problem. Hope you're wrong on that one, as I'm presently working on a poor man's Open gun - a G17 w/KKM barrel/comp and a J-Point melted in the slide. I just got the slide back from JP and it looks great, but I haven't shot it yet. I think I'll just shoot minor with the Wal Mart Winchester white box for a while, just to learn the gun and work on getting an Open classification. There may actually be an advantage to shooting minor with 28 round magazines. One advantage is you don't get so beat up with muzzle blast. And the RO's like you better! After all, isn't having fun almost as important as winning?;)

20. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

If you think about the glock & major power factor for a second here. The 17 & the 35 are on the exact same frame. At least half of the .40 factory ammo is at major power levels. Does that mean the .40s won't hold up? Mine has 25k probably by now. HMMM. What about the .357sig? That stuff is MPF also. If the frame won't hold up to major power 9, then it won't hold up to .357sig. Does that make sense? I am pretty sure the frame will hold up to as many rounds of major power as any well built gun, including the STI. Eventually every gun will wear out. Maybe the STI can be resurrected by frame tightening etc, & the glock may just need to be thrown in the trash but if that is the case, just buy another one & shoot another 100k rounds through it. It will still be considerably cheaper than just 1 of the STI guns. Not quite as nice, not quite as accurate but still a reliable, dependable lower cost way to get into open shooting. Obviously YMMV. :) MLM