close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to delete unwanted programs from pc?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hotlunch, Jun 20, 2006.

1. hotlunch

hotlunch

Having recently gotten a new Dell notebook I'm now ready to get rid of all the unwanted junk programs it came preloaded with; stuff like McAfee and Norton Ghost, etc. I did try to get rid of AOL by simply searching it and then selected all and sent it to recycle bin. It seems to have worked okay so far but I suspect that this isn't the best way to go about removing unwanted stuff from my pc. I also tried the ADD/REMOVE function but tend to suspect it never really gets rid of quite everything.

So, can anyone tell me the proper way to cleanse of system of annoying programs that I don't want and to free up space so my pc runs like a well-oiled machine? Are there any "standard" programs I should keep?

Thanks much everyone.

2. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

There are several good deleting programs at MajorGeeks that will help or just use the Add/Remove that came with XP. After deleting the unwanted programs run CCleaner to clear them from the registry.

3. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Take off and nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Did it come with an XP disc? Repartition and install from scratch.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Now granted, it has been many moons since I bought a box PC, but I remember when I did, they always came with a "Rescue CD", as opposed to CDs of individual programs. As soon as you inserted the Rescue CD and restarted, it did everything else, and simply returned the PC to the way it was when you brought it home.

If they actually came w/ an XP disk, so I could remove all that junk, I might consider a cheapo as a base system some day..

IGF

5. hotlunch

hotlunch

No disc this time around. It came with some cardboard disc telling me that in event of needing to reinstall the system to contact Dell basically. I still don't understand how it's supposed to work. It might have something to do with the backup drive I think. Chances are though it will simply load all the same crap anyway.

One thing that bugs me are all the duplicated features like Music box and wireless programs and DVD programs and virus protection and internet options. It's some serious overkill. For some reason Dell feels the need to offer the same features that are already part of Windows, yet they offer no additional features really. It had me confused for a bit.

At any rate, I can't complain at the price I paid really.

6. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

Anymore Dells come with an XP disc, then another "stuff" disc. Sometimes though, it's an added cost option, like $10, which I'd always take. I haven't bought a desktop in ages, but I have a few Dell laptops and the first thing I always do is wipe them to bare XP. I know a couple people that hate this cuz they have to work to put it back together, mostly because they just don't get it.

Compaq/HP for sure come with "restore" processes, not sure about any other OEMs these days.

7. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

http://www.yorkspace.com/2006/04/38