GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I avoid them and when they catch up to me and start the rambling, I pretend to me listening.
:agree:

I work with a really great lady who’d give the shirt off her back to help a friend, but damn she talks a lot. She’ll stop you in a hallway or peak in your office for a “quick moment” to tell you about work related stuff that has NOTHING to do with your job. To make matters worse, she repeats herself 3 or 4 times telling you the same sh!t that you just don’t need to know over and over. Most people at work quickly walk the other way or duck around a corner if we hear her coming. Talking with her is often the 8th level of hell.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Get one of these and set it for your tolerance limit. When it goes off tell them you have get the roast out of the oven or let your prisoner have some air or whatever.

·
Banned
263 Posts
:agree:

I work with a really great lady who’d give the shirt off her back to help a friend, but damn she talks a lot. She’ll stop you in a hallway or peak in your office for a “quick moment” to tell you about work related stuff that has NOTHING to do with your job. To make matters worse, she repeats herself 3 or 4 times telling you the same sh!t that you just don’t need to know over and over. Most people at work quickly walk the other way or duck around a corner if we hear her coming. Talking with her is often the 8th level of hell.
I've deduced that loneliness is a huge contributing factory to character. I bet she doesn't know she does it.
I had a friend talk thats why too much. I stopped being friends with him because at some point he doesn't make sense anymore and he says certain things he can't take back. like they say "Think before you talk"

·
Super Moderator
2,163 Posts
My mother-in-law (94 yrs. old) expects to hear from my wife daily. We have a special ring tone for her so my wife knows its her.

She will not allow you to hang up. It takes my wife saying "Goodbye Mom" 9 or 10 times to get her to hang up. Just rambling conversations about nothing.

As we both know her boredom we go along. Wife hangs up and complains to me. I listen and remind her this is not a hill we should die on.

A perfect day in my mother-in-laws life would be hearing daily from her 4 Kids, 19 grandkids and those great grandkids that can talk. What she can't realize is that more of them would call her if they could get her off the phone.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My sister and a couple of other people i know talks non-stop, once i was on the phone with her barely listening to her ramble on and i noticed she was repeating something she had already talked about, one time i needed to ask her a question and she didn't even hear me ask....just kept talking.
She lives out of town and comes and stays with my dad sometimes, he says it drives him insane, she never stops!
My estranged wife talks non stop too so....

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
I don't currently have that problem. But I do have a couple of people who get too detailed and bog a conversation down about story not important to the point of the conversation.

As part of relaying some event that happened, they mention someone (who has a minor part in the story), and say, "you remember him, right?"

"No, I don't, but what happened?"

"Sure you do, remember he was the one who... blah, blah, blah".

"I don't remember him, but what happened anyway?"

"You have to remember him, he and his wife used to live on Green Street. You remember her don't you, she used to ... blah, blah, blah."

·
NRA Life Member
64,315 Posts
I have a relative that calls me constantly. If I do not answer, they will just call 2 or 3 more times. When I take the call, they just want to ramble forever because they're bored. It gets to where I am sitting there just going "yup, uh huh" for a good 30 minutes sometimes. How do you deal with this? Should I just stop taking the calls? Sometimes I have wanted to get to where I just say "I don't have time for this, I have stuff to do." It feels like sometimes this person will try to invite themselves over. I keep saying that I can't eat fast food 2 or 3 times per week, and when I'm not working sometimes I just want to be by myself. Is that being rude? Should I just stop taking these calls?
I just wouldn't answer. Not answering 3 times is as easy as not answering once.

I don't talk on the phone for any reason if I can avoid it, so I don't talk to relatives more than half a dozen times a year (all relatives combined). If one called me even once a week I would just not answer. If that didn't cause them to stop, I'd block their number. If it was somebody I might need to talk to, I'd probably unblock it after 3 or 4 weeks.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
8,114 Posts
In business, sometimes you have to take a call or call the person back.

For obsessive callers, I will only take their call if it is about 5 to 10 minutes before the hour. I'll say "Hey there Tim, I have a meeting in 5 minutes but wanted to take your call......".

If they call more than 10 minutes before the hour, I let it go to voicemail. Then, I call them back 5 minutes before the hour and say "Hey Tim....I have a meeting in 5 but I saw that you called...".

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Of all my numerous issues, the one I do not have is to politely but very pointedly inform others I do not talk excessively on the phone.

Truth is better than white lies, timers, dingers, I'm deaf, and whatever else people do who are afraid to politely tell others.. "Please don't call me so much. Text me, that's cool.. phone calls, I don't take them anymore."

It really isn't hard. I have to accept all the F'd up BS everyone else brings, so please accept mine!

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Christmas time is coming, an ugly sweater with "I AM TALKING AND CANNOT SHUT UP!"

Reactions: rayzer007

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Yesterday I stopped at a local auto parts store to pick up something. A little guy was ahead of me in line and would not stop talking. Even after he backed away from the counter he was still rambling. I paid for my item, walked out and he was still going on.
Might be a social or mental issue.
But then some people just can't get to the point.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I tell them (kiddingly - but not really), 'I have two words for you', "SHA" "DUP"

21 - 40 of 66 Posts