close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How To Cover Fiber Optics For GSSF Match?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by mike from philly, Sep 1, 2004.

1. mike from philly

mike from philly

What is the best way to cover up the front sight fiber optic? I was thinking about using the spray, Sight Black, but was afraid I'd ruin the fiber. Anyone have insights about the ease of cleaning Sight Black.

For what its worth, it is a Dawson front fiber optic sight.

2. DP177

DP177

Mike,

My experience with sight black is that is rubs off very easily. Usually onto something you don't want it to rub off onto. I have never used it to cover up a fiber optic sight though. I do have one fiber front sight that came with a gun I bought and I will go try it right now and let you know.

DP

3. DP177

DP177

Well, the Sight Black seemed to cover up the fiber optic sight very well. I was worried that with the sun behind the shooter the front sight would look to cluttered with having the fiber optic still in the sight and just painted. But it didn't look too bad. I tried it outside with the sun from all angles and it looked okay. For reference it is a very sunny day here right now.

I also took the fiber optic 'stick' out of the front sight to see how that would be. I didn't like that at all. This sight has a stick that goes all the way thru the front sight and is held in by a straight metal spring. So when you take the stick out it leaves a hole all the way thru the front sight which I didn't like.

Clean up was very easy. A little too easy maybe. I would suggest that you make sure to bring your can of spray to the match and don't rely on spraying it once to cover the fiber optics. It rubs off the smooth plastic very easily and I would hate to have an RO tell you that you can't shoot in a stock class because he/she can see too much color on your sight. Final clean up was easy I just took the stick out again and ran it under water for a second. It was good as new.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck shooting and have fun!!!

DP177

4. mike from philly

mike from philly

Thank you. That is the info I was looking for.

Its sunny in MN ..... must mean snows coming. My wife is from Minneapolis and its this time of year that my mother-in-law calls to tell us its snowing at her house. She's always happy when it snows.

5. mike from philly

mike from philly

For future surfers with the same issue:

I called Dawson Precision and they suggested using a Sharpie Marker to coat the fiber. Then for cleanup use rubbing alcohol which restores the fiber.

I tried it and it worked.

6. waktasz

waktasz Gamer Scumbag

No fiber optic sights allowed in GSSF? Stooopid.

7. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

You can use fiber optic sights in GSSF, you just shoot against our red dot sights. ;)