How to convince wife

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by gman32c, Jun 9, 2005.

1. gman32c

gman32c

I would desperately like to get a bike (have my eyes on a GSXR 600) but my wife is dead-set against it. I've tried to negotiate with her, told her I will take the saftey course and use all the appropriate gear, but she won't budge. She is convinced that I will kill myself on the bike and tells me stories about her friends that were hurt badly in accidents. I've told her about my friends that were killed in auto accidents and how that hasn't stopped me from driving but it doesn't get me anywhere.

I'm very frustrated! I thought about just buying one anyway, but I don't want to create a rift in our relationship.

Any advice?

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Ask her whether or not she likes being divorced.;z

I don't know what to tell you. Whenever people tell me that motorcycling is dangerous and this and that, I simply tell them that it's as dangerous as the rider makes it out to be. And then they'll come back and say that the rider can't control those around him or her. I simply say that the rider can control himself and keep himself out of people's ways and anticipate what the other drivers may do.

But in the end, I don't know what to tell you. The reason why I'm single is that I don't want to have to ask for permission to do anything from anyone.

3. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

I'd say, "Hey honey, come out to the garage and check out my bike"

BTW, you don't want a gixxer for a first bike. Try a SV650, or something similar.

4. kshuart

kshuart

Of course I don't know all of the details (how long you've been married, have you ever expressed interest in a bike to her before, etc.) but maybe you can work out a deal with her or something. Is there something that she really wants to do that you say no to? Maybe you get a bike, she gets a new diamond ring, or goes on a shopping spree or something.

When my wife and I were still dating, I made it clear to her to never make me choose between her and riding motorcycles because she wouldn't like the results. I have friends with wives that constantly complain about them riding and I wasn't going to live like that. I've been riding since I was a little kid and wasn't about to change for someone else. Bikes have been a part of my life a lot longer than she had. She ended up being a passenger for a couple of years, then decided to take the MSF course and get her own license. We got her a GS500 to learn on and ride for a year or two. After that she went up to a YZF600 for a few years. After we moved, she didn't ride much any more so we sold it and she has now went back to being a passenger, but at least is still involved with it.

I agree with quinch though, a GSXR600 isn't really a beginner bike.

5. c5367

c5367 Esq.

Maybe take out a 7-figure life insurance policy?

Morbid jokes aside, the previous posters gave some good advice. I ran into a similar situation w/ the ex-gf. (didn't break over the bike, FWIW) I had a bike, she didn't like it, got run over by a truck, then she hated it and gave me the ultimatum when I brought up getting another. It took awhile, but eventually I reasoned with her enough that she very grudgingly accepted that I was going to do what I wanted to. I bought my Monster and plunked down on some good safety gear. That made her feel a little better, and after riding every day for awhile without incident, she got over her irrational fear, and even got on the back a few times.

IF you do go through with it, expect some friction over it at first. If you keep the rubber side down long enough, I think she may realize that they aren't as a rule deathtraps.

I'll disagree with the notion that you can't start on a gixxer. The bike only goes as fast as you make it go, and the gixxer has great breaking and manueverability, and the power is there to get you out of trouble if needed. The key is to have self control. The reputation jap 600's get as poor starter bikes is based largely on the number of young kids with more balls than brains wrecking and hurting themselves. Ride smart and there isn't any reason that a gixxer would be a bad starter bike. (except maybe insurance costs) Then again, there isn't anything wrong with the Suzi SV650 either.

6. kshuart

kshuart

Another thing with the gixxer though is the bodywork. My wife started out on a GS500 just because if she happened to drop it while she was getting used to it, I wouldn't have to replace $500/piece plastic on the thing. Even tipping it over in the garage or drive costs a lot of money. Something like a SV650 or Bandit 600 wouldn't cost near as much if dropped.

7. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

Sheesh, my wife bought me a ZRX1200R.

Today we're looking at a used Yam Seca for her.

8. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

It might be easier to convince her (maybe just a lot, but every little bit counts!) if you didn't pick a sport bike. She see's a bike that looks like it'll go really fast, etc. (which it will!) and that's going to be an instant negative thought in her mind.

I'll have to disagee with you as well c5367, very few people can handle a bike like a GSXR for their first bike. I've seen people that have, but that doesn't mean that just anybody can. Very few experienced riders have the ability to handle a sport bike, not to mention beginners!

If it's something that you want that bad, then you're going to have to find something she is willing to compromise on then. You might not be able to, but if you do your research on what she would really like, you might be able to get your bike! Good luck!

9. khaitran

khaitran

Ok...here is what you do, go ahead and buy the bike, tell her you got a good deal on it and when she starts to get furious and turn beat red, whip out a big diamond and give it to her, if luck is in your favor, she will forgive you on the inside but say "you have no idea how dead you are"...and walk away wide eyed open mouthed at the ring, :) who knows, if i was you i would keep pushing it but not make the jump to purchasing the bike like you said not to create a rift in your relationship

10. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

My wife is PO'd at me because I've got the bike tore down for maintenace, farkles, tires, etc, and it will be a month or so before we're riding again.
    ;z

11. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

What's more important to you, riding or marriage? Pick one and run with it!

12. BikerRN

BikerRN

Gee, to me it sounds like a communication issue. My wife rides, as do I, but we just sold our only bike recently to buy a house.

As soon as we do some things to fix up the new house we will look at getting bikes again. One, for her and one for me. What my wife is not into is firearms. She has been shooting with me, but doesn't care for it. By talking with her and letting her know what I want to buy she has come around to being OK with what I want. However, she gets to buy some things she wants too.

With my wife, what she wants is usually something for the house, ie; we can both benefit from it. We are getting a new sofa, chairs, fence, for the yard, and a rainwater tank system. I told my wife that I really really wanted an AK-47. I explained to her that I figured that in the future they would be banned and that I would regret not having one before the ban.

So, we compramise. We are putting in the fence and getting the sofa. Then I get the AK. Then we will keep up with the things for the house. Once I explained how I really felt and how important it was to me she told me it was OK. Remember, marriage is a partnership and both sides have an equal say.

If it's really important to you and she loves you then maybe all you have to do is let her know how important this is to you. This takes communication. Be ready to listen to what she wants too, it's only fair. Good luck!

13. gman32c

gman32c

Good advice about her getting something too. I've planned to replace her engagement ring next year anyway so I may just shelve the motorcycle want until I can buy them both at the same time.