How to convert a 650 into a 550... or what the ....

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SARDG, Sep 20, 2020.

1. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Merrily loading along this evening when my (650) shellplate seemed to quit advancing completely, Flipped it with my thumb, pulled the handle, advanced some, but had to finish advancing the shellplate with my thumb. All was well if I manually advanced. But you all know I always extol the virtues of auto-indexing - so this wasn't doing it for me.

So... breaking out the flashlight, I found some of this (left) hiding under the platform, some on the floor:

BrokenRingIndexer.jpg

Wondered why I had one in my spare parts kit as I never thought much about those breaking. Probably (best guess) 150,000 - 175,000 rounds on it. The grey (middle) was in my spare parts and had some wear on the ramp. The very light grey (right) was obviously brand new.

Got this press used so not certain of the origin of all these, but looks like Dillon has changed the material over the years - let's hope for the better. Must call Dillon to get a replacement for the next 175,000 rounds.

Now to get this back together before I forget where all the parts came from. Still short about 100 rounds of my (SCSA ammo) goal this evening. Shooting 2 divisions Wednesday.

2. SARDG

Barely touched this on reassembly and it crumbled. Had a well-worn ramp in my parts. Beginning to think that 175,000 rounds is a critical point in a 650's parts life.

Ramp.jpg

Rusty Gun and George Kaplan like this.

3. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I have replaced the ring indexer a couple of times. When I first got the 650 and still not fully understanding what all parts do. I needed to deprime thousands of cases. So I had the bright idea of taking off the punch support bracket. So as to not activate the primer punch. Little did I know at the time that those parts act as a stop and prevent the indexer ring going too far forward and breaking it. And I have broken off a couple of the pins on the ring indexer when changing the primer punch. Now I remove the return spring before changing the punch. I don’t think I have broken the case insert, but have replaced it a couple of times, but mainly the case insert spring that brakes.

4. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Brass picker

It is pretty telling that the indexing ring is included in the spare parts kit. I bought my xl650 used and this part was broken when I got it. Mine was broken in exactly the same place So it looks like they have a weak spot. I used the one in the spare parts kit I bought.

Was going to order a backup from Dillon but the shipping was double the cost of the part. I wonder if someone that has a 3D printer could make one that is a little more robust..

5. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

It should be free and free shipping. Did you tell them it was broken or just wanted to order the part?

SARDG likes this.
  6. fredj338

fredj338

Dillon is great about free parts but it does make sense to have the spare parts kit. Your press will always break at the worst time. My powder measure housing sheare d off. It took about a week to get the new housing. I did have a spare measure though.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    SARDG likes this.
  7. SARDG

Guess I should quit whining, then.

I'm calling Dillon - no BS!

8. fredj338

fredj338

My friend broke his before he had 1000rds, ham handed men, you know how that goes?

Rusty Gun and SARDG like this.