close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to clean soaked glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dc2, Apr 3, 2010.

1. dc2

dc2

Hello All,
    I was hiking in very deep snow today and my glock got soaked inside and out, literally. I took the slide off and took out the spring and barrel and dried everything the best I could. Any suggestions on what else I should do in terms of giving it a thorough cleaning? I'm worried about rust. Genuine advice is appreciated.
    DC2

2. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

Blow it out with some compressed air, then lube her up. All should be fine after that.

3. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Hate to ask WHERE you found snow today...
    I would detail strip the slide and dry the components and reassemble.
    If you've never done this, it is relatively easy, and I think there's a sticky here to explain it.
    The lower should be okay, but you can let it air dry or blow it out with a little compressed air.
    Moon
    ETA-
    If it were anything but a Glock, I'd shoot the slide full of WD 40 and call it good. But Glock doesn't like much lube, so you'll have to strip the slide IF it is really wet.
    M

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  4. ronin.45

ronin.45

My 17L spent a couple seconds in a puddle once. No problem, I just detail stripped it and cleaned it as normal.

5. HollowPoint .45

HollowPoint .45 NRA Member

I'd field strip it, spray it out with some WD-40 and let it drain on some newspaper overnight, then reassemble and relube the next morning.

6. drew4691

drew4691

^that

7. Tommy Kelly

Tommy Kelly

This is my personal opinion. I hate wd 40. People think its oil. There is no oil in wd40 but there is water. It will rust a gun overnight. WD40 was made for the military to flush out water from drowned out engines you remove a wet distrubitor cap and spray it with wd 40 and put it back on it will crank. the name wd 40 came from the military it is for water displacement formula 40. Nowhere on the can is the word oil. You can prove it to yourself if you don't believe me take a clean gun and wipe it with a clean dry paper towel you should get a clean dry towel after wiping. Spray wd 40 on the gun barrel and sit it up overnight the next morning wipe the barrel with another clean dry papertowel. It will be rusty red. Never use wd40 on a gun PLEASE.

8. DasBulk

DasBulk

I got rained on while hunting and mine got soaked. I just did a regular clean. I also rinsed the frame under hot water though just to get the rain water out.
    Been shibby since, no rust.

9. dc2

dc2

Thanks for all the advice. I detail stripped after watching a video on youtube...no problems, even though this was my first time. I sprayed everything out with compressed air. This was the ticket. I could see water droplets being pushed down and out of the rails. Put everything back together and lubed as normal. Everything seems fine. Thanks again.

10. TxGun

TxGun

WD40 is a good light solvent for cleaning and it displaces moisture. It is OK in the short term but, as hollowpoint indicates, you need to apply a better lube/rust preventative before storage.

11. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Just throw it into some mineral spirits, take it out and wipe dry.

I use it with an ultrasonic cleaner. Then lube and forget.

12. jack76590

jack76590

You don't want oil inside slide or on slide internal parts. Ok to clean off with oil, but be sure to remove oil. I would probably oil first to displace water and then use non chlorinated brake cleaner to remove oil in those areas.

Rest of parts I would lightly oil, maybe with breakfree and wipe dry. I would pay special attention to mag that got soaked. Strip mag and clean inside and wipe down springs with silicon cloth after drying with rag.

Wet ammo I would set aside and use for practice.

A good opportunity to learn to detail strip your glock.

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

Alcohol will absorb water. You can get 100% ethyl or isopropyl at a drug store. If you pour it over the wet, it will absorb any water there. It evaporates so fast, I don't think it should hurt the frame, but I would try a small spot somewhere it won't show. Rubbing alcohol won't do, it's 70% water to begin with.

14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I would, if mine, spray out with WD-40 then spray out with something like Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe gun cleaner, lube as advised in the manual. Check daily for a week.

15. Dogguy

Dogguy

:agree:

16. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

DO NOT use WD-40 on your weapons.:shocked:

17. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

An awful lot of 'lube' talk getting tossed around on a Glock forum...:supergrin:
    Gaston finds out, he'll come around and demand your gun back.
    I run lots of things 'wet', as in liberally oiled; 1911s in particular. But what's the drill with Glocks, 5 drops of oil on the whole gun?

For many years, WD-40 has gone along to hunting camp. If it rains or snows, that's the treatment the boomsticks get back at the cabin, a wipe with a WD'd rag, and a WD'd patch down the bore. It's NOT a lube (maybe a very light one; it's a petroleum product; I've used it on clocks), but it won't CAUSE rust. Honest.
    Moon

18. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

On a glock- yes, 5 drops, and I do a very light coat on the barrel.

WD-40 is highly flammable and has a low ignition temperature, and a slow evaporation rate. It is NOT designed for firearms. When shooting the weapon, which is achieved by striking a primer (which creates an explosion), it is not recommended to have a liquid with such properties present on or in the weapon. Not to mention it stinks to high heaven.

Stick with rem oil and hoppes. Or any commercially available substance that is designed for use on firearms.

19. James Dean

James Dean

This is just me. I would take the whole gun down, spray it down with Ballistol, let it sit for a few min, hand dry it off real good, put it back together.

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Snowed all night in Salt lake:steamed:

OP. Glocks do just fine in water. Blow out the water, lube it up and clean off the excess.