How to carry a full size pistol..

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Small Tony, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Small Tony

Small Tony

I have been wanting to give a go at carrying a full size gun IWB. I was wondering if anyone could provide photos on how they wear them?

Is it worn more behind the hip?

2. Cameronswmp9

Cameronswmp9

Get the gun and holster and find where it hides best. On me, its 330-400, right behind the hip, but thats where I carry everything now.

3. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

Placement with any handgun depends on (in my opinion) two things.

The first is body type. If you are a bit large around the middle, it may be more comfortable to wear the gun at about the 4:30 position.

If you are thinner you can generally wear it at about 3:00 or 3:30. Because a thinner person is not as thick as somebody who is a bit larger, the grip of gun will print IWB if it is much further back than 3:30

Some thin/athletic people swear by appendix carry, but I have never found that to be comfortable.

I am a small guy..... 5' 5" and I can conceal a full-sized 1911 at about 3:30 with no issues.

Having said that I much prefer to carry a Commander sized gun.

I think the most important consideration to carrying ANY gun (regardless of size) is to have a good holster and belt. What is a good holster? You will get a bunch of answers, and the ONLY way to find out what works for you is to try a bunch of different holsters.

Crossbreed makes some great ones as does Glaco, Desantis, Wild Bill's etc.

4. buckslayer

buckslayer 3 x Combat Vet

Here's my Glock 23 carried IWB, and believe it or not my G22 in the same holster looks exactly the same. I'm only between 150-160lbs. For me anyways, I find it fairly comfortable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  5. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

It's not that much harder to conceal a full sized pistol IWB as long as you are wearing the appropriate clothing. If you are wearing a jacket, coat, or at least a baggy shirt or t-shirt, it should conceal fine. However, if you are wearing a muscle t-shirt or even a fitted sweater, forget it.

6. Ironbar

Ironbar

Didn't we just cover all this on your other thread??

7. Small Tony

Small Tony

Yes...I am sorry about that but it was more of the meaning of cant and clock position then kind of moved towards carrying fullsize.

8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

The biggest guns I carry are my Sig P229 (which is quite large) and my commander sized 1911's. On guns in this range the grip is the hardest thing to conceal. That is why I buy holsters that hold them very high above my belt line and close to my body with a slight cant to the gun. Canting the gun makes the gun conceal easier and carry more comfortably. Holding the gun up high gets the longer barrel away from your bending points of you hip and legs to eliminate poking issues. I also find that moving the gun a bit forward, to around 2:30-3:00, works best for this method of carry. A gun this size behind my hip causes all kinds of issues when sitting and can even hook chairs when standing. It also print badly if you bend over at all.

Sig in Binchi Cary-Loc holster.
    [​IMG]

1911 in Bianchi Carry-Loc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. planner

planner

When I was skinny, I carried OWB, usually in a Bianchi 5B (revolver) or 19 (Auto). Now that I am no longer skinny, I usually carry IWB in either an old Bianchi suede IWB (I know, they're cheap, but mine is 20+ years old and still in good shape) or a Davis IWB, which has snaps and belt loops instead of a belt clip, and is at least twicw as thick as the Bianchi. I use these to carry a Kimber full-size Gov't. When carrying, the gun is usually about half-way between my right hip and the small of my back. When I carried a Colt Officer's ACP, I carried that in a Galco SOB because that was more secure than IWB with the shorter gun, and more comfy to boot. hth

10. Logan.45

Logan.45 G21 G36

I have attempted to carry full size glock 21 IWB. Personally for me this pistol is to large. That is why i have it listed to sell or tade for a G36 or comparable size carry gun.

11. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Dress around the gun and you can carry anything you want, up to and including a rifle or shotgun.

12. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I like pancake holsters

13. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

two options:

dress around the gun, or carry a gun based on what you wear.

14. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Yeah, me too. I especially like these Carry-Loc models for heavy guns. They have a manual lock you depress while drawing the gun (much easier than it sounds) which holds the very heavy guns securely in place when moving through your day.

Big guns like these are never a picnic to carry compared to smaller guns, but this type of holster does make it a lot more comfortable for me.

[​IMG]

15. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I carry a 5" steel 1911 OWB every day. I normally wear a polo or button down shirt one size larger than normal to conceal it very deeply. I have tried IWB and it just does not work for me. I carry at about the 3:30 position.

A little trick that helped me is to stick the end of the holster in my back pocket to make my shirt have to lift up even further than it would to reveal my firearm. It works great b/c that is where the holster naturally tends to ride anyway when I have it on. (Which is always) I almost always reach for things up high with my off side arm anyway. I also carry two spare mags on that side of the belt as well.

To put the pics into prespective, I am about 5' 11" and about 240 lbs right now and built like a brick craphouse for lack of a better term. I have a slight gut, which I am currently working on getting rid of. :embarassed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Jim S.

Jim S.

I like a IWB holster because it conceals so well. I carry a 21SF at 3:00 with a bit of forward cant. Crossbreed Supertuck, makes it easy.

17. sdglock22

sdglock22

I tried carrying OWB but quickly realized that while standing on a ladder or walking around on my flatbed trailer anyone on the ground had a better chance of seeing my gun. Went to an MTAC IWB and am much happier with the concealment while on elevated areas.

BTW I carry a G22 daily.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  18. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

I carry a G35, G20 and a 1911 in a Glock Sport holster w/out any problems.

I carry at 3:00 and usually wear a tank top and either a loose polo or a button-up shirt as a cover.

It's no biggie. 99.5% of the people are clueless.

Paul

19. Oramac

Oramac

STOP THE PRESSES!!! THIS NEEDS TO BE IN NEWSPRINT!!! :rofl:

as for the OP: best thing to do is get a gun and holster and try it. i carry a G26 personally, but im 100% confident i could conceal a G17 or 1911 easily if i had to, using more or less the same rig i currently use.

20. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

That is completely true. I bet half of us could wear t-shirt that says "I have a Glock 33 in my waist band" and still no one would notice.