close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to Bring Her to Reality

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Turbodiesel, Nov 2, 2012.

1. SASJen

SASJen

I like TK241's idea!! Except have him just wear a tight shirt. Don't want to teach her to shoot topless. May get burned by brass! LOL!
    ..and that first officer who said just to get her competent and not push. --and use a hunky good natured man to teach her :)

2. LiebeGlock

LiebeGlock

No!!! Don't get rid of her. There is hope for her! I used to be anit-HANDgun. And totally oblivious to crime even while being a single mother living with her 4 year old son in the middle of FLINT! (Flint Michigan, ever heard of it? NOT the safest place.)

You're thread is really inspiring to me. I am trying to find different ways to get girls into guns, to retrain their way of thinking like my mind has turned around. I have recently started putting videos on Youtube to help guys like yourself or girls who need to learn more about guns. I haven't gotten far nor have I done a good job in expressing what I want to say.

But like the guys said above showing her the basics, not pushing her too far WILL help, getting another girl involved will help. More than likely, a hot instructor will NOT help. LOL! Here is one of my videos to help. (There is better out there on Youtube, I'm sure.) But I will get a REAL good one for the girls with the whole, "This will NEVER happen to me because..." issue.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYEgvEsABZQ&feature=plcp"]How to get your chick to like guns! Especially a Glock! - YouTube[/ame]

3. Chris Brines

Chris Brines

A rural area would be the most ideal place for a sexual predator to attack. Nobody to come running for help or hear her screaming. If she refuses to really take on a defensive mindset, and go practice shooting and/or pick out a gun for herself, I'd just buy her a 38 special and tell her "here, it's there if you need it". One thing about a 38 special, you can teach someone how to use it without even making them really shoot it. So simple, load the rounds, close the cylinder, point and shoot. Or cock the hammer if you have time. Also the chance of accidental discharges with a 38 is slim to none. Still though, it would be in her own best interest to familiarize herself with firearms.

I feel your pain though, I live in a major metro area, have a wife who is terrified of guns (she grew up in a place where guns are outlawed, and only outlaws have guns, Mexico), but I more or less forced her to learn to shoot a Glock safely and efficiently. She went kicking and screaming (not literally) the whole time, but at this point I am more than confident she can handle a Glock, a 357 magnum, and/or an AR15 safely and effectively if need be.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  4. SASJen

SASJen

I partially disagree with Chris Barnes. I don't think you should just had the gun over and expect her to suddenly be proficient in the second that she needs to be. Guns ARE easy to operate, once you learn. But I have had people time and again just look at a gun befuddled and nervous, and they ask, "What do I do? How do I hold it? Is there a safety? Do I just pull the trigger?" Although, I am very suspicious that Mr. Barnes didn't mean it LITERALLY, given that he is pro-teaching basics ;) BTW, Mr. Barnes, congrats on your girl learning :)

Anyhoo, back to the idea of an untrained person using a gun effectively for self defense... Arming a woman (or man) without training for technique and MINDSET can be disastrous. I'd be so worried about someone disarming her and using the gun against her and who knows who else.

If she won't "go there" with guns, what about a Taser? The C2 Taser runs about $360, including case, extra barb/battery unit, and practice unit.

5. 4Rules

4Rules

6. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

Not every person is willing or capable of defending themselves with a fire arm or any type of a weapon.I always remember an old boss used to carry a 357 on his hip barely covered by a vest. one day some one was stealing from behind our shop and he pulled his 357 and told the guy to freeze and the guy charged us and my boss started shaking. I was only 16 and had to get into with the guy and my boss never jumped in but some fellow workers did
    I was so lucky that day as I learned 3 things that day

1-Some people who will carry and draw a gun are not mentally prepared or trained to pull the trigger

2-Never draw you gun unless you are prepared to destroy the thing its pointed at

2-Some people are not afraid of getting shot and will count on knowing not every one is going to fire the gun

Fight,

Flight,

Freeze

Sometimes its a mistake to force some one to carry a gun to make you feel better

I have a dog for my families protection in case they are not capable of protecting themselves. The dog knows that is its purpose and is ready for the job

7. patriot73

patriot73

If I may put my two cents in here. My gf hated guns before we got together, and understandably so. Her exhusband played Russian roulette with her for about two hours with a revolver. He was heavily intoxicated, which oddly enough is what saved her. He forgot to load the one round needed to "properly play". Long story short, she now likes to go shooting and has shot my LCP, G24 and G23. Patience and understanding was the key to me changing her opinion of firearms. Would she actually pull the trigger in a defensive situation, I don't know. It's hard to speculate on such, but at least I now know she is comfortable with firearms in the home.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. firedawg60

firedawg60

My wife was kind of like this. She had a .45 held to her head several years ago. Kind of turned her off on guns. So in the last 5 years she's gone from not liking guns to going shooting. Now she's still not wild about them, but she is talking about getting her permit.

I started by taking her to the range with me. I'd ask her if she wanted to shoot and she said no. After a couple of times like this, she wanted to shoot my Glock. She fired about 4 rounds and decided the .40 was too much for her wrist. I borrowed a friends G-22 with a .22 conversion kit. She fell in love with that. I ended up getting a Sig Mosquito and she shoots that when we go. The last time I had her shoot my S&W 586 with .38. She did great with that.

Now in the last couple of weeks we've had 2 vehicles and and a trailer of ATV's stolen a block south of us and a break in this morning a block north of us. And yes, we live in a good neighborhood, but it's happening everywhere. She wants to go to the range again on Monday.

My advise, move slow with her and not push too much. I'm afraid you'll turn her off even more. Just let her move at her pace with it. Good luck.

9. Pier23

Pier23

In all likelihood, nothing WILL happen to her...but...several years ago a retired music teacher in our rural area of Ohio was tied, tortured and subsequently shot and killed ay assailants over a six hour period. He was also a good friend, so it DOES happen, even in the country.

If she is not into lethal options, what about non-lethal..a dog to give some warning, and some pepper spray?

People recognize threats or they don't...nuthin' much you can do about it either way.

10. rauldduke1979

rauldduke1979

You, sir, win the Internet :faint:

Cannot wait until the day - about 2 weeks from now - when we get the thread "Staged a mock-home invasion and GF wants to press charges, what to do?" :rofl:

To the OP: I think you went wrong when you tried to push gun=self defense a little too fast. Why can't guns=having fun plinking with a .22 rifle. And as the new shooter becomes more comfortable with firearms, perhaps move on to center fire pistols or shotguns that might be more appropriate for SD/HD.

Try to make it fun.

Edited to add: plinking fun can get the new shooter comfortable enough with firearms to learn the basic rule of safe handling. The Boy Scouts have known this for decades.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  11. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

That is the stupidest crap I have heard in a long time. You weren't the guy I went across four lanes to draw down on for pretending to kidnap your daughter were you?

The guy got as big as saucers when I ran the stop sign and went across all four lanes when he decided it would be funny to pull up fast and jump out and snatch her walking home from school.

He about ate a Glock 19 that day.

The moral of the story is don't do stupid crap like you are suggesting, it could end badly. Had the dude decided to speed off without explanation it would have broke really ugly.

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Offer to marry her if she carries.