close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How tight should a helmet fit?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Oct 17, 2012.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

As i promised last night, I bought a helmet to wear when I'm riding my ATV. This is a purely subjective question, but how tight should it fit?

This one is pretty snug, with a lot of padding even on the sides of my face. I wouldn't want to wear it all day, for sure, and I'm guessing the padding will "deflate" a little. The next size up seemed a little sloppy.

Did I do OK?

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Snug, very snug.

It should take some effort to put it on and take it off.

3. TK-421

TK-421

You want it tight to your head where it will move with your head, when you turn your head, and your scalp should move a bit when you move the helmet. You don't want it tight enough that it bounces around on your head and moves even when you don't move your head. But you also don't want it tight enough that it cuts off circulation or you would prefer to ride around with it. Since it's new, and the padding isn't broken in and squished down, being uncomfortable right now is fine, and it should get better as you wear it. Just always wear it, let the padding get broken in, and it should be a nice, comfortable fit.

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

If you lift it or twist it and your eyebrows move, it's too small. HH

5. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Snug is perfect. HH's comment is a great rule of thumb as well.

On the street, back in the day, I personally always wore full faced helmets. There was no way I could "move my head inside" a helmet that properly fit and had the chin strap secured. When I held the helmet with my hands and tried to move my head only, the helmet would move as well. This kind of SNUG is a prefect word to explain the fit you want to achieve.

6. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

A poor fitting helmet will make you miserable . If you decide to move up a size and its to loose , you can always wear a dew rag to makeup some of the difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Helmets will loosen up as they break in. You want your cheeks to 'chipmunk' up a tiny bit. If you wiggle it, it should not loosely wiggle around on your head. If its giving you a headache, its too tight.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

Dunno. I wear one when I ride in a state that requires one. I bought my 1970s vintage Bell half shell helmet at a garage sale for $5

9. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

The last full face helmet I bought , it went thru 4 different brands before I found one that fit. My wife's was easy , her' s was a M2R. It was more $$$ than mine due to being Snell and DOT rated, but she liked the color scheme .
    Fulmer $
    AGV$$
    Bieffe $$$
    Bell Moto V $$$$

I wanted the Bieffe due to the ratings ,vent system, looks and padding, but it wasn't comfortable. The Fulmer fit , but it was kinda plain. The AGV fit well, had vents and a color scheme that matched my ATV and dirt bike. The Bell was the best of the bunch , but it was the most expensive > $200. I bought the AGV . It was a lil more than I wanted to spend but it was DOT rated. You'll have to decide how much you're willing to invest in head protection . Also, if you bought a open face helmet , reconsider a full face . It may be the difference in keeping teeth in your mouth due to a face strike to the ground or handlebars . I know mine saved my teeth several times .....

View attachment 228405 View attachment 228406

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. ray9898

ray9898

Snug and the cheeks should be pushed in a bit.

11. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Pretty sure I would rather just not wear a helmet if that was the remedy.

12. Peace Warrior

:rofl:

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It will fit looser when it breaks in a little - they always do. Always buy a helmet that feels like it might be a little too tight, not one that is comfortable or loose in the store. Att least that's for motorcycles - given the speed and environment for ATV's I'd probably just buy something loose and comfortable.

14. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Different lids fit different shaped melons.

You would do well to find a better deal than this helmet.

Obviously there are cheaper helmets than 240 bucks but If you knew you were about to plow your head into the ground and could pick from a bunch of helmets I don't expect you would pick the el cheapo lid.

15. glock_collector

glock_collector

From 105mph to 0mph in 77ft, helmet never even shifted...Hows that for a fit??

16. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If the fit feels like your eyes are going to pop out, then the helmet is too small. However, it should be very, very snug. Stick your fingers against your forehead and see how much gap you have there. Move the helmet side to side and back & forth to see if the helmet shifts. If the helmet shifts, then it is either too large OR has the wrong shape for your head.

17. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

Take a firm grip or better have someone else wiggle it hard. See if you have any movement. To fit my melon, they hurt at temples and forehead until broken in

18. Peace Warrior

I'm gonna go out on limb here and guess that the fit was SNUG.(?) :whistling:

19. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Ok, I'm considering buying one for when I ride. I really like the looks of this one, but not the price. Any suggestions for something similar looking but more economic? I found a cool one that's bluetooth, which I thought was cool, but doesn't have the visor.

[​IMG]

20. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

When wearing a full-face racing-helmet, what do folks with BAD allerdies do when they sneeze massive amounts of mucous? :rofl: