Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
33,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I favor compact IWB holsters that can be worn on my belt, as well as put in a pocket, bag, drawer, quick safe, or under a pillow as needed. Can also be carried in hand.

When carrying 365/24, there are a lot of ways the gun stays with my person.

Personally I like the holster tension to retain the gun when the holster is held upside down in the hand (as a test), yet to release when the holster is held in one hand with that hand's thumb pushing the holster free of the gun. For example, if ever reaching for the holstered gun from under my pillow, I want to one handed free the gun in the draw, yet I don't want things loose on their own. I always want the trigger securely covered if not purposely drawn.

When cynching a belt, in the normal IWB position, my rigs naturally are have a bit more rention because of the pressure of the belt. Thus the gun stays secure during potential struggles.

Do you have preferences/guidelines for setting your holster tension?

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
I feel the same way except the part about the different non-holster options. Other than a "SmartCarry" I only carry using a holster. I concur with the retention parameter: If I can invert it and shake a bit it HAS to stay. (DUH!) I have a Kydex holster by CLINGER HOLSTERS, the "Stingray" which I love. I got it for my G36 but it fits my 19 and 26, too! BONUS! I do balance the tension screw adjustment to fit 'em all and it does work. And I cinch the belt a bit, too, more for fit purposes than foiling a takeaway. There's also the compulsory Draw-O-Holsters in which I keep other holsters of differing usefulness. (Don't we all...?)

Just something regarding the gun under the pillow. I don't especially like that and (I know you didn't ask :supergrin:) but look at this method. Out of the way and pretty quick access. I keep a (don't laugh) Taurus "Judge" on mine for 5+ years and I like it: http://www.tigerholstersystems.com/products_Pistol.html Just thought I'd mention it. I have the one that fits between the mattress and box spring with the vertical rod on it. Versatile.

Reactions: ithaca_deerslayer

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I tend to buy the same holster, Comp-Tac Paddle OWB, so I'm comfortable with the retention. I remember putting on the holster, then holstering the pistol and then laying down, bringing my knees up and then my feet so the holster was upside down while being worn. Moving around from side to side, etc. until I was comfortable the holster would hold the firearm while on the ground and moving around.

I've had classes where I needed to shoot prone, on my back etc. and never had an issue.

I guess I could try the same exercise with a new holster today, but somebody will have to help me get up... :)

·
Registered
33,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just something regarding the gun under the pillow. I don't especially like that and (I know you didn't ask :supergrin:) but look at this method. Out of the way and pretty quick access. I keep a (don't laugh) Taurus "Judge" on mine for 5+ years and I like it: http://www.tigerholstersystems.com/products_Pistol.html Just thought I'd mention it. I have the one that fits between the mattress and box spring with the vertical rod on it. Versatile.
The bedside holster holder is a good idea too. Maybe a blanket with a sewn in pocket for the holster would work :)

·
Registered
37,618 Posts
The bedside holster holder is a good idea too. Maybe a blanket with a sewn in pocket for the holster would work :)
Never understood the gun under the pillow thing. It wont be where you think it should be when needed. This goes for guys that stuff a gun between seats in a car, for that matter, carry without a holster, just not wise. A holster protects the gun & puts it in the same position everytime.

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

·
Registered
33,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never understood the gun under the pillow thing. It wont be where you think it should be when needed.
Depends on the person, how they sleep, and their setup.

Basic idea is to have the gun within reach from the bed. From any bed, no matter where you sleep in the course of a year. If you were to accomplish that, what method do you favor?

·
Registered
994 Posts
You have to think "If I fall or get thrown on the ground, is this gun coming out? What about if it catches something?"

Turning it upside and shaking it (semi-violently) can be a good start, but be sure to account for the weight of the ammo, since that can change a lot about the balance and weight of the gun

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Very loose for game holsters, but I have thumb screws on them JIC. I'm primarily a Production USPSA shooter, and we never reholster on dynamic stages.

For carry, I like very strong, positive mechanical retention in the holster body, but with very little friction. So I can draw at pretty much game speed, but it's 101% clear when the gun is fully indexed in the holster. I consider the holster and gun as a unit. Retention is adequate to withstand hard, repeated shaking with a fully loaded gun inverted.

There are a few other differences, because my Production holster is at 3:00, but I carry AIWB.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
I prefer the upside down test, but I'm good with just about any tension. I don't hang upside down much anymore, so its not a big deal for me.
I did on occasion for 36 years as an elevator mechanic. One reason I prefer C3 in the pocket. Now retired, I'm transitioning to a Galco Concealment Belt Slide holster. I can shake the G26 upside-down and it doesn't move. For AIWB, a molded kydex is hard to beat for keeping in holstered.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I favor compact IWB holsters that can be worn on my belt, as well as put in a pocket, bag, drawer, quick safe, or under a pillow as needed. Can also be carried in hand.

When carrying 365/24, there are a lot of ways the gun stays with my person.

Personally I like the holster tension to retain the gun when the holster is held upside down in the hand (as a test), yet to release when the holster is held in one hand with that hand's thumb pushing the holster free of the gun. For example, if ever reaching for the holstered gun from under my pillow, I want to one handed free the gun in the draw, yet I don't want things loose on their own. I always want the trigger securely covered if not purposely drawn.

When cynching a belt, in the normal IWB position, my rigs naturally are have a bit more rention because of the pressure of the belt. Thus the gun stays secure during potential struggles.

Do you have preferences/guidelines for setting your holster tension?

Mine are pretty much as you described...I don't want it too tight, when I need to present my gun, I don't want to be looking at my holster...

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
I like my belt very snug. I carry full sized pistols and revolvers every waking moment. The snug belt helps keep the large pistol tight to my body for concealment, and the holster keeps it from falling out. My IWB Kydex hybrid lets me draw and re-holster easily.

I wear my firearm no matter what I am doing, from mowing the grass, taking a "nap", watching TV, to working on the creeper under the car or climbing a pole to work on a camera/sound pickup/antenna issue.

I have never had the weapon leave the holster due to my gyrations.

·
Registered
37,618 Posts
Depends on the person, how they sleep, and their setup.

Basic idea is to have the gun within reach from the bed. From any bed, no matter where you sleep in the course of a year. If you were to accomplish that, what method do you favor?
Holster someplace on or around the bed. Can be a cheap $8 nylon stapled to the back of a nightstand. Under a pillow seems vague.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts