How They're Made: Paper Shotshell Hulls

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by flyover, Aug 27, 2018.

1. flyover

flyover

APERS, FullClip, ejjeff and 5 others like this.
  2. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

Great video! I could almost smell the burnt powder smoke after the shell was fired.

My favorite 12 gauge shotgun shells are Federal papers! Too bad they’re so damn expensive! :)

Thanks for posting.

Steve

WeeWilly likes this.

3. flyover

flyover

I was amazed that the shells were star crimped, the only paper shells I can remember were roll crimped.

APERS likes this.
  4. cjsteineker

cjsteineker

Damn, now I feel the need.. the need to bust clay!

WeeWilly, APERS and flyover like this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I think it is the wax that gives them the distinctive and pleasant (to most people) scent. :)

I have friends who swear they recoil softer because the paper absorbs the shock of the round. That always struck as similar to the people that swear tube based stereo amps sound better because vacuum tubes soften the edges of the sound... ;)

For me, although I too love the smell, it is whatever is on sale. Zero difference in my score between those beautiful Federal paper shells and elcheapo Gun Clubs. Plus, when I am shooting the autoloader, the Gun Clubs pickup with a magnet, not so with the real deals. :(

APERS likes this.
  6. jmorris

jmorris

Been a long time since I shot paper hulls. I still have some though, Sears labeled 20 ga and some Remington 10 ga.

Looks like they kept a lot of folks working designing and building the equipment and quite a few in jobs operating and feeding them and that’s great.

That said, I think I will stick with plastic.

7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I have to be honest, I was not aware that they still made paper shotshell hulls....

APERS likes this.
  8. Duke45Big

Duke45Big All anti-gunner stink worse than filled diapers.

To my thinking they use the star crimp rather than the roll crimp because it doesn't require a cardboard circle cut out on the end of the shell and makes for a better reload.

9. tjpet

tjpet

When I went to the Grand American in Vandalia 16 years ago I shot a single barrel (BT99) and federal papers to do it as traditionally as I could. Shot well overall, won a few trophies and some coin. Wish I could say the shells helped but I also shot some not so great scores. You know how it is, on any given day.

APERS, ObiJuan and WeeWilly like this.
  10. gjarcher

gjarcher Captain USN ret.

I had no idea that paper casings went through so many processes ... no wonder they can be expensive!

I avoid paper like a plague for reloading, especially if the base wad is paper ... eroded and cracked base wads, plus reformed crimps don't hold well. Winchester AA with integral base or plastic cases with plastic base wads is all I use. They can be washed and cleaned up, then get many more reloads out of them.

11. APERS

APERS

Very cool indeed! My dad took his limit on a regular basis, in ducks back in the early 70's.
    With these loads of #6 lead shot, when still legal. That being an old 16ga. Remington 870, still in the family. I'd guess it took more game than any other gun on this websight. Just a guess of course.

12. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

One has to be very selective when reloading paper hulls. You have to avoid having the hulls laying on the ground. Best results are from the break open barrel into your pocket or container. Never would I pick up a paper hull left on the ground for any length of time, especially overnight because they draw moisture like a sponge. Sometimes they could still be salvaged after getting slightly damp.

I loaded hundreds of spent paper cases on my Mac 9000H. It’s best to use their round crimp starter void of crimp guides when reloading paper hulls. I’ve made reloaded shells using once fired hulls that look almost new. But they do require more diligence and most reloaders figure they’re not worth messing with compared to plastic hulls.

Steve

gjarcher likes this.
  13. tjpet

tjpet

I reloaded paper shells for awhile. Somewhere between 4-6 times the paper just forward of the brass would develop tiny pinholes. Then it was time to shoot & toss.