How shooting in matches altered my whole perception of CCW and SD

By Cali.Glock, Jun 25, 2019 | |
Rating:
4.81395/5,
  1. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

And what gun fighting school would that be? I've been thru simunitions and live screen feedback training, but never found a live fire school.....

In the end, all anyone has is speed and accuracy. You can imagine you are fast, but without a shot timer and scored target, you have no clue.

snowbird.40 and fredj338 like this.
  2. fredj338

fredj338

The Matrix School of Gun fighting. Where shooting skill isn't important, only dodging bullets.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020

3. fredj338

fredj338

Stop. No one believes a timer has any value. Well at least those that can not actually shoot at a very high level think so. Which is really odd because even the poorest run LEA qual has a time limit, albeit really generous.
    BTW, I think the USAM qual is the best for ccw to work with. It is all 21ft, cover garment & very fast times. The FBI qual was touted as being very diff, but the times are very generous. I know, I know, time doesn't matter but I am just hung up on getting my hits faster than joe dork can get his.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  4. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

The FAM's qualification is ok, but it's designed to practice active shooter engagement in a crowd. But since I can't board an aircraft with my gun, unlike all my Customs, Border Patrol and Homeland Security buddies, I don't worry about it.

5. fredj338

fredj338

I just mean realistic close range skills. Its a better qual test than most LEA imo. Nothng in the fam addresses non threats anyway, probably should though?

6. hogarth

hogarth

The issue I have with the FAMS Qual is that, IIRC, several of the stages/strings require multiple targets. While I can shoot the FBI qual at my local range (which does allow me to draw, since I'm a member and was cleared by the RO), I cannot shoot at multiple targets. Wish I could. I think the FBI qual is probably easier for most people to shoot at indoor facilities.

7. fredj338

fredj338

Like the fbi qual but times are too generous & many people dont want to even try shooting 20y under time constraints.

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Why aren't you shooting USPSA outdoors? It's all about drawing, multiple targets, transitions, movement. Well, and of course, speed and accuracy. Here's is one my homies making his runs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMNuGav4hN0

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  9. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Yea, I would have an up range start from a chair, on the start signal, turn and engage a single threat head shot from within a sea of no shoots, just like when I used to run the old airplane stage for IDPA.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  10. hogarth

hogarth

Yeah, congrats, I was addressing Fred and his reference to the utility of the FAMS qual.

11. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

Article almost three years old, and I will say it still rocks. Great article, Cali.Glock. (How you can still stand California is a testament to your fortitude. 15 round magazines illegal?!? Aren't they standard with most 9mm semis??)

He is 100% right. I plink at the range, more than most. Entered a shooting contest on Father's day. Best thing I could have done. I rarely miss when plinking at 7 or 15 yards.

Contest involved various metal plates, different combinations of where to hit, reloading, etc. Hit a lot of targets, missed a lot.

Since then, I have focused on mixing up my practice, going from the draw 100% of the time (isn't that how I might be compelled to use the firearm??), varying the distances for the targets (out to 25 yards now to really show where I am missing), mixing in metal plates rather than just paper or the awesomeness that is Splatterburst, etc.

Shooting under time pressure is much, much different than shooting without a clock.

12. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I am a strong believer in IDPA, particularly compared to the USPSA matches I've shot, both indoors and outdoors. At the very least, you can compete on equal footing (almost) with your CC gun and holster in IDPA; USPSA, not so much.

Actually, I get a perverse kick out of shooting USPSA matches with my CC gun. Just the very fact that I'm there with a G26 or a G43 or a Sig P365 (my match this summer) raises a lot of eye brows and can draw some begrudging respect because I'm actually shooting what I carry. Most of the USPSA shooters I compete against are using 'race' guns or something too large for MY idea of concealed carry.

However, it's in IDPA and BUG matches where the playing field is a bit more level and I get to 'game' it out by watching some of the best action pistol shooters in the world who happen to be shooting at the club where I go every month during the winter months (Pima Pistol Club). That in itself is a learning experience, which can't be bad for surviving an actual gunfight.

This season I plan to shoot my new CC guns: a G27.4 and a G23.4. The 27 will see most of the action, but not from my AIWB holster, which is a Galco Ultimate Second Amendment. Not a major issue, I'll just use my second choice holster, an IWB kydex at 3:30.

I understand that nothing can compare to a REAL gunfight, but most of my life has been dedicated to avoiding conflicts with fellow human beings that might result in a gunfight.

The bigger question for me is: will I be able to filter out my natural aversion to shooting another human being in a gunfight, and I can only hope I'll remain true to the lessons learned in IDPA, BUG and USPSA matches with a steady front sight and a good trigger press.

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

IDPA/USPSA/Steel Challenge and 3 gun are all just gun games. That's all. They are not training. And it's not about a steady front sight, or trigger press, it's grip it and rip it. Jerk the shiette out of the trigger without moving the gun.

However, one HUGE difference between IDPA and USPSA is that you can actually use an appendix IWB, as long as you declare that you are Open, Limited or L10, with the permission of the match director, because holster position is not restricted. You will of course suck against guys running full sized guns. And while Open is popular, there is an equal amount of Limited and Carry Optics and Production guys running. The other thing is you can shoot an entire USPSA match using IDPA rules for cover, concealment, engagement, reloads, because there is no rule against it, and no advantage to it.

14. Bluzman

Bluzman

Dude that's F'd up. Just pull that pistol and go to work.
    :2gun: