close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How sharp can you get them?

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by Travclem, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

See the video above, that is stropping. Carbide sharpeners=no good.

2. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Ran it on the strop a little last night. Didn't make it better or worse, still sharp as hell.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

All that matters :wavey:

4. rygleason

rygleason

I use the spyderco sharpmaker with med,fine, and ultra fine stones. I can get a hair whittling edge as well. I learned you can use a straight edge piece of cardboard from a USPS priority box to strop and then strop on a cereal box. Puts an even sharper edge after the UF stone.

I did recently pick up a Knivesplus strop block pre loaded with green compound and that has replaced my cardboard strops :D

The nice thing about the ultra fine stones on the sharpmaker is that you can make a very nice polished back bevel giving your edge a mirrored finish. This and a good strop is all I will ever need. I did pick up the diamond stones for the sharpmaker for more serious reprofiling as well.

Mirrored edge on a classic SS spyderco endura aus-8
    [​IMG]

Crappy pic, but you can see I split the edge of a hair with my spyderco military cts-xhp
    [​IMG]

Mirrored edge on my spyderco ambitious
    [​IMG]

My setup
    [​IMG]

Don't forget your loupes to see those edges up close and personal
    [​IMG]

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  5. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Tear the edge? I didn't know this. I always thought it was there to shape the edge and then the ceramic was there to really hone it down. Should I just use the ceramic twice as much instead and not touch the carbide (unless smoothing out some big nick in the blade?) I like to keep sharp knives, but don't really have the drive or skill to go crazy with a whetstone and all of that.

I guess what I'm asking is, what should I do to get 'em "Good 'nuff"?

6. syntaxerrorsix

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker for 90% of my sharpening. I use strops to maintain the edge between honing. Very easy to use with great results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you were dead set against changing your setup I would skip the carbide and only use the ceramic side of the pull through. Keep in mind that for best results keep the blade straight up and down and just use the weight if the knife for pressure. You will likely have to run it through a number of times initially but maintaining the edges will become easier as you aren't starting over with the carbide rods again.

7. frank4570

frank4570

You can tell a difference in how the blade shaves. A really sharp blade will shave almost by accident.

8. Hedo1

Hedo1

That's my system too! Great results.

Can you tell me where you got the strops? Mine is very narrow and those look a lot wider from the pic.

9. bno762

bno762

Arm hair shaving sharp.. I use a diamond stone with one side medium and the other fine, then I have a one sided ultra fine I use for finishing up. I had some ceramic rods but lost them when I moved and haven't replaced them yet.

10. bno762

bno762

One thing to keep in mind about having a really sharp knife is blade material. I've been carrying a spyderco Chinook 2 for 5+ years and I really love the s30v steel. I know there are better blade steels out there now but I'm partial to this knife. Get a knife with a really good steel and you'll notice how much easier it is to sharpen and to keep sharp.

11. syntaxerrorsix

I had them custom made from a user on Blade Forums. To the best of my knowledge he isn't making them currently. If I hear anything different I'll post up a link.

12. lwt210

lwt210

I also use the SM with the added coarse diamond hones as well as the UF stones.

For stropping, I use HandAmerica 1 micron diamond slurry on a flat piece of basswood. On the other side of the basswood I have a piece of leather that I don't load with compound and use it as a finishing strop.

1095 carbon and whatever Victorinox uses are my two favorite "steels" to work with. Mostly I do a 30 degree bevel with no micro bevel but have thrown a 30 degree micro bevel on a 20 degree primary bevel.

I can get the hair whittling level pretty easy.....using good steel. I'm a little obsessive about it as once I "use" the edge to cut something, I am right back on the strop going at the edge again.

Probably the "sharpest" knife that I have is a well used Schrade Walden 787 improved muskrat with a single backspring. I handed that to a fella once and he could not believe that I got that edge without using machinery. He is an engineer type and I showed him how I did it with his cheapie folder. I got his sharp.....but nowhere near what that old 1095 muskrat was. The heat treat back then was old school sexy.

Love stropping. It's all about angle and pressure. I use very little pressure and try to maintian the correct angle. It nearly always provides me a keener edge than the UF SM rods do. YMMV.

Regards.

13. lwt210

lwt210

14. Hedo1

Hedo1

Thanks lwt210!

15. smokin762

smokin762

Back in the 1990”s, I bought the Lansky Knife Sharpening System. I have the Diamond Stone set. Since, I have purchased the Ultra-FineStone (Yellow handle) and the Final Polishing Stone (Super Sapphire handle).

This Knife Sharpening System has really worked great for me over the years. Around 2001, the Diamond coating started flaking off of the Medium Course Stone (Orange handle). I called Lansky and told them about what happen and they sent me a new replacement Stone. I am very pleased with their service as well.

Every year, I have coworkers that come up to me and ask me to sharpen their knives for Deer Season. I haven’t had any complaints yet. I just wish they would either share some of that Venison for my time or buy their own Lansky set. :supergrin:

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/L...serID=22466371&SessionID=O2zrnKt3fVCu3mJzl3cz

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  16. Jdee

Jdee

Just messing around :supergrin:
    I use the Wicked Edge system, this knife was not super sharp
    But a good everyday working edge I like to have.
    Jdee
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cutvkk3popw"]SOG Kinifes - YouTube[/ame]