How rare is the original all stainless steel Mossberg 500 Mariner

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by seamaster, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

Huh???!!!!!!?????

2. fflincher

fflincher

Sherlock913 likes this.

3. fflincher

fflincher

4. DrewBone

DrewBone

Things aren't always as they appear, as the word "stainless" can be a misnomer when discussing or considering a choice of stainless steel. Why? Because there are many different grades of stainless steel, with all having different characteristics and purposes, and many of those are magnetic...with the ultimate choice of material being dependent solely upon the requirement or purpose of the object being manufactured. There are some SS's that are relatively inexpensive, while others cost more $$ due to the % of nickel and other alloys present. And the choice of a SS material that a firearm manufacturer chooses isn't based on it's non-magnetic properties (so you don't have to worry if you have a firearm on your person while undergoing an MRI scan?!), but moreso it's ability to be (and sound as if it's) somewhat resistant to the elements, which can appeal to a hunter or those into boating as both are outdoor activities where one can find themselves in the presence of water and moisture. In the end, it will be the material's cost, the ease and expense of casting vs. forging, and lastly the ease at which the material can be machined which will all be combined together to generate the final cost of the firearm or product. A less expensive material can reduce the costs associated with manufacturing, which can then be passed along to the customer...hopefully ;)

I worked for many years with stainless steels, most of which were high nickel/high grade 300 series materials because they specifically had to be, and they really were "stainless" in the sense that these materials could withstand powerful acids that would have dissolved lower grade stainless steels. To manufacture a firearm out of 300 grade SS material would not be the least bit cost effective. And as a personal testament to the differences, I have jewelry that I made years and years ago out of 316/316L material that looks as shiny today as the day I fab'd it...in 1978. By contrast, the AMT Hardballer I owned back in the early 80's would begin to "darken" soon thereafter being cleaned, just from simple handling. And the contributing factors to this "rusting" condition could only be attributed to the cheap grade of stainless steel chosen by the manufacturer along with the frame's "open pore" bead blasted finish.

I see the word "stainless" used all the time to decribe firearms, but often the word is not describing the fact that only part of the firearm is stainless. Take for example the Beretta INOX models, often described as "stainless", which do in fact contain SS components such as the barrel, etc., but the frame itself - is made of aluminum...so buyers should be aware of such subtle "inaccuracies" before dropping their coin on anything described as "stainless steel"...

Redeemed, gamecocks and orangejeep06 like this.
  5. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

6. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Get it or tell me where it is.

edit: I'd only be interested if the reciever is actually SS and not plated aluminum. That Winchester 1200 looks damn nice.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  7. Quijibo

Quijibo King Doofus.

There is a magnetic knife holder on the wall of my kitchen with a bunch of "stainless" knives stuck to it. :D
    I'd love to have an all stainless mossy, even if it was a bit heavier. My toxic masculinity prevents me from whining about heavy stuff.

slamdunc and gatorboy like this.
  8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

9. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

The 500, 590, and 590A1 use the same aluminum receiver.

10. CalvinHobbes

CalvinHobbes

I found some all stainless Mossberg 500 from 1982 that have never been shot at Oak Ridge Gun Range in Orlando. I am not sure if they will ship or not. They had 2 left.
    https://www.oakridgegunrange.com/

11. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

And you didn't take a pic of this unicorn?

catman71 likes this.
  12. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Tactical Elf"

We have two of them unfired in our armory. They were purchased many years ago as Honor Guard Shotguns. They were he when I started and I have been here 16 years.

I don't believe they have even ever had a round chambered into them.

TXPO

catman71 likes this.
  13. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

Always loved these rare shotguns

catman71 likes this.
  14. seamaster

seamaster

If I had a boat in the harbor I'd have bought it but no plans to own a boat so I didn't buy it.

It sold within a few weeks from when I first found it and no they don't let you take photos if it's not your gun.

Neat guns, and I still only ever saw that one in person.

catman71 likes this.
  15. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

There are three on Gun broker now!

16. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

What are you searching for?
    I can’t find them

17. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

I put in Mossberg marine

catman71 likes this.
  18. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

Or Mossberg marine stainless

catman71 likes this.
  19. porschedog

porschedog

I bought one of these for my boat about 2O years ago, with the optional line launcher kit with the orange stock and fore grip. (I like orange)