how old where YOU when....

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by punkture, Nov 3, 2005.

1. punkture

punkture

For those of you who were exposed to hunting at a young age, how old were you? I have vague memories (and have seen a few pictures) of being on a 3-wheeler going to a deer stand with my dad and then another being in a stand with him shooting at a deer. I couldn't have been more than 2 at the time. The next clear memory I have of hunting is as a 7 or 8 year old with my grandfather, with whom I avidly hunting until I was 15/16 or so. I lost interest in it for a several years and got back into it when I was 20 or so and have been a die-hard hunter every since. My dilemma is this - my son is almost five. Squirrel season and bow season are in full swing down here right now. Gun season for deer starts in a few weeks. I realize getting him to sit still for a prolonged period of time is unreasonable. I've also decided that I'm not keen on the idea of having a 7mag blast away at a deer near him - for various reasons. I don't want him to become gun shy at an early age or hearing damage to occur. He has a scoped .22LR with which he is getting pretty good, so he is familiar with guns with less "bang". In addition to this, I don't want to scar him with the killing of "bambi" at a young age, but in the same breath, he "helped" me dress 3 deer last year. It has been HOT here so far every weekend this year. This weekend is going to be no different - low 80s. I'm planning to either squirrel hunt or bow hunt Saturday and getting him into the woods before it gets cold is becoming almost a priority to me. Is this wise? I've thought about maybe taking him to the woods to "hunt" without a gun - just to get him familiar with nature at its finest. Any advice or personal experiences of your own or of your own children will be VERY greatly appreciated.

2. kalashnikovluvr

kalashnikovluvr

I think I was about 7-8 years old when my dad first took me hunting. I remember it like it was yesturday(although it wasn't that long ago, I'm only 16). It was a cold morning and my father, younger brother, and I when squirrel hunting. I had this cheap 20ga that he bought me. My dad and lil bro were just there to watch and help as they had no gun with them. It was one of the greatest times I've ever had in my life(even though i didn't kill nothing) I had a blast. I'm willing to bet your son will to. But it might be hard to keep him still and quiet. I remember my brother(who was about 5 at the time if i remember correctly) beating on a damn tree with a stick(maybe thats why i didn't get anything LOL). I don't think 5 would be too young for your son. I think I would just take him squirrel hunting with his .22, as deer hunting w/bow might be hard for him to keep still and quiet for that long period of time waiting for that perfect deer to walk outta the brush. just my .02

3. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

8 when i went out with my dad for the first time, had an older brother so he got more attention at that time, he was 11.. Went out on a Bear hunt..

I think the squirrel hunting would probably be best at that age. At that age your problem is going to be more logistics then anything else and with a 5 year old keeping their attention is tough.. You can always have him wear ear plugs.

I would not take him rifle hunting for another couple of years, but that's up to you. Take him out squirel some, maybe a Day bow hunting, and then work into the rifle season, take him shooting when you go to the range to check zero etc..

May i also suggest you speak with your spouse / significant other regarding this?... it's helps to have thier support not thier wrath..

Ask your son also, if he's keenly interested, well.. take him, if it's marginal or "He just wants to be with Dad".. then maybe a little slower..

I agree though, do it while it's warm.. although when i took my boys out goose hunting i wrapped them up in wool blankets :) they had a ball.. and we only spent half a day.. I got cold.. lol..

good luck.

Jeff.

4. sfdfirefighter

sfdfirefighter

i was 7-8 when my dad took me deer hunting with a 20 ga he bought me for christmas. my dad took my younger brother who is 6 Squirrel hunting last year. my brother used a 22 we borowed from my uncle. my brother did very good at sitting still. it was about 75 degrees out. i think it would be all right for you to take your son squirrel hunting with a 22. it is also good because it is not cold so he wont complain hes cold.

5. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

7 years old when I started shooting, not necessarily hunting,
    but plinking.

6. sfdfirefighter

sfdfirefighter

i was 7-8 when my dad took me deer hunting with a 20 ga he bought me for christmas. my dad took my younger brother who is 6 Squirrel hunting last year. my brother used a 22 we borowed from my uncle. my brother did very good at sitting still. it was about 75 degrees out. i think it would be all right for you to take your son squirrel hunting with a 22. it is also good because it is not cold so he wont complain hes cold.

7. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Too Young to remember. I've already taken my Son duck hunting (warm, mild day) He's 18 months old now, I believe He was only about 6 months old when we "hunted together". I think most anyone who comes from a hunting Family starts young. It just goes to show you, The Family that Slays together stays together!!;f

8. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

I was also too young to remember. You said your son is 5 I'd say it's time to take him squirrel hunting! I took my 5 yo nephew squirrel huntin a few times this year and he had a blast. He took his bolt action crickett .22 that I got him for Christmas last year. He felt like king tut walking through the woods with his trusty .22. It's one of the things in life that really make you feel good.

9. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I was 8-9 when my brother took me hunting. I used to walk through the woods with him. Mostly slowed him down I'm sure. I got to shoot my first squirrel when I was walking with him on one of those trips.

40 years later, we're still hunting together.

10. punkture

punkture

thanks guys. he and i had a talk last night and its decided that he is willing to get up at 4:30 with me tomorrow morning to go squirrel hunting. i'm probably more excited that he is, which will probably all change tomorrow when they start moving.

11. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I started accompanying my dad & grandpa on pheasant hunts when I was about 8 or 9. I carried a BB gun. :( When we'd take a break, grandpa would let me shoot his Browning humpback, at thorn-apples he's set on top of a fence post. When I turned 12, he gave me a J.C. Higgens 20ga bolt action. Unfortunately I was left-handed, and the right-handed bolt-action was no more than a single shot in my hands. But because I only had one crack at a flushing pheasant, I got pretty good, pretty fast. Grandpa later admitted that that's what he had hoped would happen.

When I turned 14, I could go on my 1st WI deer hunt. I could use my 20ga w/ slugs, grandpa's model 12 riot-gun with slugs, or grandpa's Springfield Trapdoor in .45-70. I chose the rifle, as everyone else had a rifle. Grandpa had a .30-30, and dad had an 03 Springfield in 30-06. Good choice, as 20 minutes into opening day, I saw a fork-horn buck sneaking across the corner of a plowed field at about 80 yds. I doubt I would've hit him with a shotgun with just a bead sight... but with that great sight on the Trapdoor, and a steady rest on the 2x4 railing of the tree-stand I was in, I dropped him in his tracks. I was hooked for life. That was in 1964. I've not missed a single day of the WI gun deer season since. Not for school, not for work (had to quit several jobs because they said I couldn't have the week off), not for family stuff, not for anything. Two weeks from tomorrow begins my 42nd straight deer season. ;f ;f ;f

12. isp2605

isp2605

I was a little guy.

13. punkture

punkture

we met up with my grandfather this morning to head into the woods and i was informed by him that he will "be ready when he is five." i think the getting up at 4:30 was getting to him come 6:00. other than the heat, it was a good morning. no wind, few clouds, no mosquitos (surprised me), squirrels were moving from around 8:30-10:00 pretty well. i missed one and got four. all in all it was a nice morning to be in the woods.

14. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You don't have to get him up so early. Take him after he wakes up, has his pancakes and watches cartoons. Its not important to kill any squirrels anyway. He won't be able to walk quietly or sit still. But take him anyway. Don't walk too far, don't keep him out too long.
    Dress him in camo, talk about guns and squirrel habits. Remember, he has a short attention span at his age, can't help but fidgit, and likes to throw rocks. Don't forget snacks.

I remember squirrel hunting north of Wiggins when I was stationed in Biloxi in the mid 70's. Lots of squirrels.

15. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

I agree..

Even as a guide, i took my son out when he was 5, and just let him hang out with me, and take his BB gun, and the first time i took him at 4:30/5:00am, he fell a sleep in the tree stand. :)

Just hangin out, and not trying to make marlin perkins out of him, will sufice. Trust me, he will 'catch the bug,' and learn to hunt.

Many the times, i 'never' took my son, but let him in on the skinning, buthering, and 'always' took him in the woods on the ranch, and just walked, and talked, that was 'the best thing' i "finally" did. Just 'educating him, on little things', and then the interest 'built more and more.' He's just a little guy, so go slow, and "don't worry," he 'will' be your hunting buddy sooner than you think Hoss ! ;)

CanyonMan

16. locnload

locnload

I was raised in Northern Wisconsin and my Dad loved to hunt. You had to be at least twelve to get a license, but I recall tagging along with him after rabbits, squirls, and partridge from the time I was eight or so. During deer season before I was old enough to go along, my sister and I would hide little cardboard deer in the stubble of the families large garden and take turns finding and knocking them down with my BB gun. From the time I turned 12 I was out of school and at deer camp the entire week of season. Good memories.:)

17. king catfish

king catfish squirrelwhacker

I didn't start hunting until I was well into my twenties. My father died before he had a chance to introduce me to hunting. However, I have tried to make up for lost time.

I have made a promise to myself that my child will not suffer the same disadvantage.

18. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Took the BB gun out with Grandpa when I was 6. Helped him teach me gun safety and gun handling. I didn't know it was a BB gun. I thought it was a real firearm. Scared the crap out of me. I handled that gun like it was made of glass. Worked wonders though. I learned what I needed.

First hunt where I actually got to buy a license and shoot game, 12 as per WI regs. Still have that "Damn K-Mart Special" New England Pardner single shot 20 ga MOD 26". $74.99 back in 1993, my grandpa bought it for me. Today it is my squirrel and rabbit gun.