close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often would you change oil based on time as opposed to miles?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Reyn, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

If you averaged 5,000 miles a year,how often would you change your oil? I've had mine 6 months and still only at 3000 miles.

I did add a quart a month ago because it was low but it will be close to a year before I have 5-6,000 miles.

This is a truck given to me and it has 290k miles on it now 99 GMC.

2. Chiefret

Chiefret

I drive my Jeep less than 1000 miles a year so I figured once a year was fine.

3. The Hawk

The Hawk

Once a year will be fine. Congrats to who ever took care of that truck before you. Sounds like it still has someone that wants to keep it going. Good for you!

4. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Oil changes are not required.

It is a myth that perpetuated by big oil companies and auto manufacturer affiliated dealerships to rob citizens of billions of dollars each year.

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Big, educated kitty cat!

I'd probably do once/year and use Synthetic 10-30 oil, just because. If Valvoline still makes the Synthetic Max Life, that would be my first choice (synthetics can supposedly cause leaks in older vehicles, and Max Life is supposed to combat that).

6. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Yeah,my father in law had it. He bought it from another guy when it had 100k. He has replaced the transmission twice but he pulled some good loads at work on a trailer.

It's a Z71 1500 Sierra. Only thing I replaced was some gaskets in the seats because around that time GMC had these plastic pieces in the seats that would eventually disintegrate due to the grease they used. This caused the seats to move ever so slightly when taking off or stopping.

Guy on eBay sells a kit for like 12 dollars and it works great.

7. goldenlight

goldenlight

I drive less than 6000 miles per year now.

I just change oil/filter just before the really cold weather hits every year.

I only drive my '88 Toyota Celica about 1000 mile a year now, and I change the oil/filter on that once a year too.

8. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

Every two years.

9. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

I'm in the low-mileage boat too, and my car is driven less than 2000 miles per year. The dealership says to change annually, but I don't see the logic of that.

This car does get started for a short trip once or twice each month, so the oil is circulated out of the pan and through the filter. It is in the southern US, so there is no exposure to freezing temperatures. The only contaminate getting into the oil might be...what? Condensation?

I'm not opposed to annual changes, but I just don't understand why a modern lubricant would break down under so little use. I really want to know the 'why' behind the annual change recommendation.

10. Tackle

Tackle

I usually shoot for once in the fall and once in the spring...about 6 months apart. 2 years ago in a 6 month stretch I only put 900 miles on my daily driver!

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I already explained it. It is a conspiracy that is controlled by the Illuminati and New world order to finance the large multinational oil companies which in turn makes you depend upon them and they are controlled by the New World Order and hence it is part of the UN scheme to take over and create a one world government. It all starts with oil.

12. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

13. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I drive maybe 8000 miles a year, and I have the oil changed every 6 months.

14. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

There must be a lubricant engineer or a good mechanic out there in GT Land who can explain what happens (or doesn't happen) to oil in an engine that is operated infrequently. Seems to me the answer lies in the basics of internal combustion engine operation and lubrication chemistry.

15. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

I really want a lucid answer to the OPs question also. One of my cars is driven maybe 2K a year.

16. ca survivor

ca survivor

I go every 3,500 miles oil and filter, not by time....

17. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

To change oil on the basis of time suggests that there is a 'shelf life' after which the lubricant loses it's effectiveness. Do constituents of the oil evaporate somehow in the vehicle's closed lubrication system? Do constituents break down over time, diminishing the oil's lubricating qualities?

When I visually check oil that has been in my vehicle after 2 years of very low mileage, it looks just like it did coming out of the original can. When the engine is started, oil is circulated through a quality filter that should remove any contaminates. I'm just thinking that a mileage-based oil change program makes the most sense; if a 2 or 3 year max time criteria is also followed just to be on the safe side, that seems reasonable, too.

18. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

My rule is "once a year" for dyno oil and "whenever I feel like it" for synthetic.

19. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

All motor oils rated GF-4 and GF-5 now have seal conditioner. It was not a requirement of the older GF-3 rating. Synthetic oils have all had seal conditioner longer ago that that but it's true the early synthetic oils had no seal conditioner and didn't swell rubber seals as much as conventional oils. Now synthetic and conventional oils all have seal conditioner.

I have two vehicles. I put about 5000 miles a year on them now. I used to drive a lot more though. I used to change oil every 3 months, then every 4 months, more recently ever 6 months and this year was the first year for 12 months, using extended drain synthetic oil. It still doesn't "look" very dirty.

20. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Annually on everything; it's required to maintain the warranties on the BMWs.