close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Often/When to LubricateGlock??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RangerDave, Aug 13, 2003.

1. RangerDave

RangerDave

When do you know it's time to lubricate the Glock, and how often do you do it? I know the Glock is made to function with minimal amounts.

And, is it possible to purchase that goldish colored lube that comes with the gun after factory lube??

2. Guest

It is true the Glock is designed, and as per the manufacturer should only be lubricated with very few drops of oil in certain places. I on the other hand have used a much different approach for several years. This approach has proven successful for approximately 40,000 to 45,000 rounds expended in practice and match environments. While some people hardly ever clean their gun regardless of how frequently or infrequently they shoot it, I clean my guns after every 1000 rounds and/or just before every match. I do not however use oil, per se, and am a firm believer in Brian Enos' Slide Glide grease. I put a small amount on the trigger bar/connector contact area, then apply Slide Glide to the frame/slide rails/grooves, and barrel lug; finishing with a very liberal amount in and around the guide rod and recoil spring. I am still amazed at the difference in how the gun feels with the Slide Glide as compared to how the gun feels if the "suggested" lubrication methods and oils are used. That rough, gritty sound and perception you get when you hand cycle the gun is completely gone. The difference is noticeable when hand cycling the gun as well as actually shooting the gun. I'll never use regular oils on my Glocks again.

Chris Patty
    Team AGrip
    www.cpwsa.com

3. Glk21C

Glk21C

Since I purchased my 21C with it's first purpose being home defense, I clean it every 500 to 1000 rounds. Lubrication is minimal, as I actually saw a brand new out of the box Glock that was jamming at an IPSC match due to too much of the factory copper base lube. Go figure.

4. IPSC G34

IPSC G34 Sparky

The copper compound put on the gun at the factory is not the best oil/lube/grease. It is an anti-seize compound used to keep the gun from freezing while its on the shelf. Once you fire around 50 rounds, its done its job and can be taken off, and normal oil/grease can be used on the gun. With which you'd probably be better off using than what they put on it the factory.

Normally, I just put fresh oil on the gun when I clean it, generally around 1000 rounds or so, I may put a drop of oil on the trigger bar/connector area when I feel it getting dry but thats it.

5. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

I clean my Glocks after every trip to the rannge. I shoot approximately 500 round of 9mm, 500 round of .40 and about 200 round of .45 every month. Cleaning is easy and with the pressurized cleaners like Gun Scrubber and Break Free Powder Blast it takes just a few minutes. I detail clean probably mroe than I should.

I lube according to the owner's manual. I use Rem Oil since it is a light oil and has been extensively tested here in Alaska by Chuck Taylor during a some torture testing he did some years ago.

If the gun is stored extensive or carried a lot without shooting I will inspect and clean it and then re-lube it. I will also run a snake bore through the barrel.

Cleaning a gun to me helps me get very familar with it. It also allows me to inspect the gun closely for wear and potential problems. That and it is just so much fun!

Though I clean and lube like this I have a lot of confidence that if I couldn't for whatever reason I know the gun will still function. This is such a reliable weapon.;)

6. RangerDave

RangerDave

I take it there is no way to purchase the gold color lube that's on the Glock after factory?

7. LGCubana

LGCubana Guns & Cigars

8. Apeman

Apeman Token White Guy

out here in the desert, most of us run them dry. any oil on a weapon just atracts dirt and causes problems. I clean after every trip to the range and use a combo of mobile-1 and breakfree clp. put a nice thin coat on then the right before I go to the range wipe everything dry.

9. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

See comments listed below!

10. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;d That, 'gold stuff' is called, 'Spec 308, copper paste.' It is available from www.topglock.com. Smyrna Tech Support tells me that GLOCK puts it around the cam area of the slide to improve break-in between this cam and the end of the trigger disconnect bar on new guns.

Personally I remove this stuff from my new GLOCKS, and replace it with Sentry Solutions, 'Hi-Slip' grease. I've never had a jam; and the slide's action is as smooth as glass. It, also, seems to soften the 45's recoil impulse, and helps to pick up the sight picture a little faster. :)

If you would like more information, here's the link:

www.sentrysolutions.com

11. RangerDave

RangerDave

Hmmm, not that I doubt you GGunMan, but if the Spec### (name of Gold color lub) is such a harsh lubricant then why does Glock use it and tell you in the instruction booklet to not try and remove it and leave it on the gun until it wears off totally??

My thoughts would be that anything that came with the gun would be what's best for the gun. But then again I could be wrong.

12. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

I thought the Gold Lube was more of an anti-seizing compound than a lubricant.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a health hazard. Afterall Glock uses Sodium Cyanide to make the tenifer finish. Not all in our hands is healthy.

13. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

;Q Hi Guys! I have a confession to make: Most of my life I've been a Colt 1911A-1 fan. I had to think long and hard about what I would buy for my, 'last two handguns.'

(You see, I recently had my 60th birthday, my first experience with heart problems, and, yes, just like most of the people at GLOCK TALK I, also, have a closet full of firearms.)

I spent over a year researching current handgun designs, features, and accessories before I decided that my last two handguns would be GLOCK Model 21's. (Gaston Glock should be flattered!) During this time I made a number of phone calls to the very helpful people at GLOCK Technical Support. One of the questions I asked was; 'Oh, by the way, what is that, 'gold stuff' on the end of the slide?'

Tech Support, not only told me, but they, also, gave me the brand name of this stuff so that I could go to the auto parts store and read the package for myself.

(Excessive attention to detail, you say? Well, yes, but you should know that, for many years, I earned my living as a very well-trained real estate appraiser who was constantly getting into expensive court appointed arguements with other equally well-trained appraisers; and, quite frankly, I really hate to lose.)

IMHO That, 'gold stuff' is, at least, mildly toxic. GLOCK uses it, more as a precaution against mechanical binding, than, as a, 'lubricant' to smooth in the trigger, 'break points' of brand new GLOCK Safe-Action trigger assemblies. (I'm not under oath, anymore; but, at least, that's what I've been told.)

Because I had Aro-Tek, 'Diamond Polish' the trigger, 'break points' on my new GLOCKS I did not, really, need this stuff on my G-21's. So I removed it. I wasn't worried, so much, about any possible health hazzard; I, simply, didn't need it on my guns. (If I didn't have this polishing done, I am sure that I would have left it in place; if nothing else, eventually, it has to make for a smoother trigger action!)

As far as I am concerned, these G-21's are, about, as well set up as they, ever possibly, could be. It's the old guy at the back of the gun that, now, needs all of the work! ;i Regards, 'The Gunman'

14. FireCop-G19

FireCop-G19

Amen, Brother!! Slide Glide is all I ever use on all of my handguns and rifles.