How often do you train?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RPK Clone, Jul 16, 2019.

1. I take a firearms class once a year

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. I take classes multiple times per year

9 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. I shoot weekly at the range

41 vote(s)
    51.9%
  4. I shoot monthly at the range

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Im not even sure if my nightstand gun is loaded

8 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. fastbolt

fastbolt

There's been a LOT of discussion in various amateur and professional fields discussing and defining the difference between training, practice drills, skills maintenance, etc.

Moving on from that ...

I came to treat my own firearms skills in a similar manner to how I treated my martial arts skills in the earlier years of my pursuit of various arts.

Firstly, I had to satisfy the requirements and frequent assessments of my shooting skills, as well as my developmental teaching skills, for my former agency.

Secondly, I wanted to develop and find more effective ways to not only learn new shills in gun-handling and shooting, but also better ways to practice and maintain existing skills while working on new skills. Then, I wanted to continue to find ways to apply the physical skill advantages and lessons gained in my martial arts pursuit to my shooting skills.

That meant continuing to satisfy the needs of both disciplines and skillsets within their respective activities, but also trying to find the right synergism that made me a better shooter on the one hand, and better able to fight with a gun on the other. I didn't complicate it by also trying to become a sport shooting competitor, but many cops have enjoyed going that route (and have created competitions).

So, training or practice? Sure. Both.

Now, personally, I've been enjoying taking a sabbatical from training and so much live-fire trigger time for the last couple of years. I've tried to keep my range time down to maybe 3 maybe 3 times (or 4, but no more) per year. Yep, per year. I figured that after having put in several times per month for the previous 26 years of having been an instructor, I could afford to back off a bit on the live-fire. (That doesn't mean I haven't continued to include some "dry-fire" drawing and presentation at various times, even though I'm taking a break from the constant live-fire sessions.)

I also tend to hope that putting in the occasional time checking my empty hand, stick and blade skills helps keep my gun-handling skills from totally rusting away.

Then, there's the virtual daily hand exercising regimen specifically designed to keep my hand/finger coordination in form, and my finger/wrist strength in practice for grip and trigger press needs.

I've let my guitar skills lapse in recent years, but not my arm, hand and finger dexterity & strength for the arts and shooting.

People have to find their own balance, and determine what best works for them.

I still like to seek out an occasional firearms instructor to shoot alongside, so they can observe me and make sure I've not become lax or prone to forming too many bad habits (usually being someone I've formerly trained, but that comes with using my former agency range ;) ).

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    ExecutiveWill and fredj338 like this.
  2. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I no longer train. I just practice the things I have been taught.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

tuica and Paul53 like this.

3. DAW9347

DAW9347

I have a range in back of my shop:
    [​IMG]

Shoot whenever the mood comes over me.

Paul53 likes this.
  4. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

I take several classes a year. Ranging from Low Light, force on force, medical etc. Everyone thinks they know everything but until you actually get out and receive good quality training, the more you realize how much is out there that you don't know.

You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Most people who carry guns are woefully unprepared for reality.

tuica, ExecutiveWill and fredj338 like this.
  5. Paul53

Paul53 HATE is not a family value!

I've accepted that I'm now a gun collector, dreaming of range time.

tuica and happyguy like this.
  6. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

I train when classes are available (and affordable); which in infrequently around here except for the same-old CCW classes. I take what I've learned and I practice at the range at least every other week or so, shoot the qualification course again, then a few drills to maintain and hopefully improve proficiency. The Rangemaster folks are holding a weekend class near here next month, and I'm signed up for that... and and been trying out one of the local IDPA matches to build up my humility when possible...

ExecutiveWill likes this.
  7. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

I have a 500 yard range at the house...I’m out there on the weekends most of the time

treg and tuica like this.
  8. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

My wife says too much, but fifty rounds indoor every other Thursday, with a different Glock.

tuica likes this.
  9. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

On the job training, eh?

TacticalDesire, Ramjet38 and tuica like this.
  10. fredj338

fredj338

Yeah well not enough imo, but we all make choices.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

None of the above. I shoot in competition when I get a chance and practice for precision pistol competition every weekend or two. My wife and I shoot local IDPA style matches to stay proficient with our CCW guns and such.

fredj338 likes this.
  12. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

I would shoot everyday if I could fifty rounds of 9 or .40
    Every other week is all I can afford privately.
    I shoot up all the issue ammo I can get my hands on.

13. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

I finished that Rangemaster pistol course last weekend... One of the many lessons I took was that _how much_ practice you've been doing may not be nearly as important when the flag flies as _how recent_ your last practice was.

Issue #2 concerns what you practice... we tend to sit there and burn off a couple hundred rounds just shooting pairs, or nice tight groups, because that's what we're good at and we like the positive reinforcement of seeing that we're still good it it. The recommendation was that at our new level, we need to work on some specific skills for maintenance, under time to track improvement, and then spent a little bit of time working to improve on what we really suck at as well. Dry fire was highly recommended on about a weekly basis, and about 50 rounds every couple weeks or so using the drills we were taught to practice with.

TacticalDesire and knoxrocks222 like this.