close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how often do you switch out defense rounds in ccw?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cubbyjg, Apr 6, 2010.

1. cubbyjg

cubbyjg

I have been using speer gold dots in my glock 26 as my defense round and i bought the box back in aug 2009. I dont shoot my jhp much at the range, only every once in a while to refresh my memory so i havent had the need to buy new jhp. Pardon my ignorance, but does ammo have an expiration date of some sort? Or can i carry the same rounds for years?

2. 17RTF2

17RTF2

no expiration date that I know of but I was still kinda wondering the same thing. should last more than a year I would think if they did expire it would have to be more than 5 years but I am no expert.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I think the problem is when you constantly chamber/unchamber rounds when switching to target/practice. It's tough on them. If you don't carry chambered there shouldn't be a problem. I'm shooting ammo from the 50's in some of my firearms with no problems whatsoever. HH

4. SIUC4

SIUC4 Glockness

What he said.

5. W4CNG

W4CNG

I just changed Social ammo preferences two years ago and swapped out all but my .357Magnum ammo. I went from Federal Hydro's to Cor-Bon All Copper Barnes Bullets in 9MM, 40S&W, .45ACP. The .357 Magnums are all Remington 158Gr HP's which I have a ton of. Ammunition if stored properly does not degrade over several years. Some folks cycle theirs every year or two. Not needed if stored properly. I do not cycle Social Ammo in my autoloaders that often and do not have bullet setback issues that SOME can have. I also do very precise inspection of all of the bullets I load and fire in my guns from Chamber Checking them in a guage to see if they will fit the guage before the chamber and top to bottom inspection to insure my reloaded ammo is first quality. Most loaded ammo will last for years if stored properly.