How often do you run into "clients" while off duty?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by golls17, Feb 1, 2010.

1. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Happens from time to time. Thankfully, I'm apparently completely unrecognizable out of uniform (had many people tell me I don't "dress like a cop" whatever that means, but I took it as a compliment). At my last department, I did run into a DV dirtbag that fought myself and 2 other officers and ended up giving me a bloody nose and one other guy a black eye for our trouble. Went to the hospital first, then to jail. Anyway, he just kept giving me sideways glances, and then came over and said "Don't think I've forgotten about you." I just looked at him and said "Then also remember this: on duty I've got rules, off duty, I cant cheat however I want, but I WILL win." He ended up leaving without another word.

Found out a few months ago he died wrapping his car around a pole OWI... Oh well... :dunno:

2. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Got to say I agree for the most part. Generally I stuff my G23 in my pants (no reload or flashlight, but a kershaw folder thats always with me), but if I'm just headin up to the store or something, I'll toss my LCP or 642 in my pocket and feel okay about it.

Of course, that's only because I haven't gotten the day-glo orange paint for the muzzle of my AK pistol yet...

3. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Here is my take on it. You are going to have a hardtime with a significant other if you have to explain why you carry 24/7. Right up there with explaining to sheep how you backed down those wolves by showing your teeth and growling then trying to teach them.

My advice =-- date ER nurses, daughters of former cops, exmilitary chicks... women who will ask.. "You have your gun right?" and not.. "are you bringing that thing again?"

4. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Work in a larger city - total pop of the metro area is near one million. As most of you know, I work in the jail here. I also have a rather unique position that "allows" me to meet a large portion of the inmates housed in the facility.

So, yeah....I see them all the time. My daughter's first day of school a few years ago, I saw a guy who was a known fighter and has a penchant for throwing poo while incarcerated.

I see inmates all the time. Just an occupational hazard. Always have the G23, spare mag, SOG knife, etc with me. Wifey has a G22 plus assorted other goodies, too. General plan if threatened is that the wife gets the kiddos somewhere safe, and I educate someone about threatening my kids.

For the record - I couldn't care less about my job, badge, or any of that when the safety of my kids is threatened. It'd be a bad idea to screw me if they're around. I don't worry about playing officer, I just concern myself with making sure my kids are safe.

5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO

If you are going to be an LEO, CCW. I have ran into several clients over the years. Most turned out OK. The fellow who nearly got shot was not a client. :raiseeyebrow:

Set your significant other down and ask her, "Can you handle me going into LE? If so, I am going to carry my off duty gun. I am going to be required to step into some things as necessary, that may require my off duty gun. Can you handle this?"

I was already married when I went into corrections. She sort of had an idea when I first got in, that I would be carrying, or at least having it handy.

6. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

I live in a small town and it happens all the time.
    That's why it is important to treat everyone professional and even dirt bags with "respect".

7. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Thanks for all the input so far. We're sitting down today to talk wedding stuff, and I'm going to make sure to bring it up.

Let's add another dimension...

Have you ever had to intervene with something in progress while off duty that you couldn't have done so without your gun, since a cop is never really off duty? I would think something like a gas station being held up would be such a scenario.

8. Hack

Hack Crazy CO

I have helped out, but never as in this is my jurisdiction. Although I am federal, my agency is limited concerning mission parameters.

9. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

No, I have given first aid to traffic accidents where I would have done the same thing as a civilian.
    Only difference there was that I knew who to call right away and what to ask for.

10. C.Smith

C.Smith Millennium Member

I stopped a shoplifter fleeing on his bike once with my pov and then ran him down and tackled him in the street when he ran. My wife and her family were all concerned when I started carrying everywhere. My wife understands now that I have been at the job a while and pointed out guys I have arrested walking around in public, her family has gotten used to it for the most part.

Just yesterday walked past one of our finer gang members that I recognized walking from a store with my son. As far as I could tell he did not recognize me.

I alway go armed and tell people that don't like it to tell me when and where I will need it and I will only carry it then, if not I will be carrying all the time.

Corey

11. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Retired;

spent 20 years in a small town PD with a sworn membership of 34,000 and a population of 8 million.

Have encountered MANY clients off duty and don't have any warm and fuzzy stories about the meetings.

I carry a 1911 with a reload, knife and flashlight at all times.

Never go unarmed.

12. thanospro

thanospro

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Pretty common.

14. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

More than I like. Had one serve me my sweet tea at the McDonalds near my house the other day. He had a surprisd look on his face. Thank goodness he didnt recognize me until after the tea was already in the cup and in my hand :cool:. Went back a week or so later and he no longer worked there.

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

What difference does it make?

Unless you have the ACME crystal ball so you can avoid them in advance, any number over zero is unacceptable. And if you do have the crystal ball, give up LE and take up day-trading.

Same for intervention. Go ahead and get caught just once, unarmed, at an active shooter. I mean, it's not like you're policing in a big city like Pearl, MS or something. Or watch as a brother gets attacked at a traffic stop, you just passing by. Gonna call 911 and be a good witness?

Both you and she need to come to terms with the idea that you're not normal people any more. You put some nut job away, and now he wants to get even. You represent the man, and some guy is going to shoot you in a coffee shop. And if you're as dedicated as you appear here, you're going react as a cop in those SHTF times, even if you're not equipped. Experience and wisdom tempers that some, but you're not going to stand by and see a kid hurt, a woman raped, a senior citizen beaten. Carry the damn gun. Train your wife-to-be in how to act.

16. Glock-em-all

Glock-em-all The Baby Sitter

As an adult probation officer for 16 years and in a county of 64 K people - I run into them ALL THE DAMN TIME ... whether currently on probation, been released or revoked and back on the street.

17. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

That's why it's nice having one that's in the community. She has her own badge and gun, no need for mine.

18. 17445

17445 *

Cochese, what happened to that one dollar you had in your money clip? Did the missus take that final dollar from ya too?:supergrin:

Anyway, I made doubly sure to be safe and I work 45 miles away from home, in another county, at least 10 cities away, with a totally different demographic which is night and day from where I live. I also don't dress and act like a cop when off.

I always carry though, my G26 w/15 rounds +1 in the chute and a G17+2 mag reload for 35 rounds off-duty backed up by a Fenix PD30 and even cuffs some of the time, depending.

I have never lived less than 25 minutes from work and it's fine with me. Don't ever want to run into clients while off-duty... or even coworkers by accident, unless I planned something with them.

19. 17445

17445 *

Here's my 2 cents...

GET OVER IT. I know you're in that bright eyed bushy tailed stage where everything is exciting and new and you want to save the world, but trust me, the last thing you want to do is get involved while off-duty. It's far far far away on your mind on things you want to happen.

Most likely unless you travel in some really really ****ty areas, you will go your whole career without having to do anything that exciting, ever. That's the truth. We all have some close calls and exciting things in our careers, but the off-duty heroics involving you in plainclothes and some dastardly criminals misbehaving are about next to nil in the chances of it occurring.

Trust me, I know exactly what you're going through. Every prospective cop and rookie goes through it and some never quite grow out of it, but the fantasy hero cop having to save the day after being put in some crazy loop de loop situation is just not all that common.

I pray that you will never, ever, ever have to deal with running into a client off duty or have to save the day at a gas station robbery while off-duty. Believe me, if you want to have a long lasting career, you would too.

20. merlynusn

merlynusn

It's not even running into "clients" off duty. In a lot of circumstances, you can see any thug and know he's a thug, just like a lot of them will know you're a cop.

The best is when you hear someone yell out "Hey Officer xxx. Don't you remember me?" And it turns out it's a victim or a victim's parent. But in the meantime, they've just broadcast to everyone that you're a cop, and you don't know who just heard that.