close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often do you run into "clients" while off duty?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by golls17, Feb 1, 2010.

1. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I got a quick nap on my way home yesterday (fiance was driving), and I had a wonderful dream. Stopped a bad guy during an armed robbery while off duty.

I told her about it, and her only comment was, "You're not going to always have your gun with you when you're hired and off duty, are you?"

I was kind of shocked, but then again, she hates guns, but has given up on stopping me from carrying, just as I have given up on her and her shoes. :dunno:

Anyways, I explained to her how it's likely I see "clients" that will not be too happy with me, especially if I'm hired in a big city and/or have residency rules. While I believe people in general are good, there are bad people out there, and I don't want to catch them on a bad day. I went on to explain to her that she's pointed out to me on more than one occasion people that she dealt with at work, and that it's just the same as police, only potentially more dangerous.

OK, so the heart of my question:

How often do you run into people you've detained while off the clock, and what do you carry while off duty to be ready?

ETA:

While I don't expect people to say where they work on an open forum, it would be helpful to know a general city size and if you live in the same city or county as where you work.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. collim1

collim1 Because Alexa said so!

I live in the city I work in, about 100 officers and 40,000 people. I run into people I have arrested on occasion. Some recognize me some dont. I always make sure they dont see me get into my pov or see where I live, especially when my wife is with me.

I always carry my G23, spare mag, and Surefire flashlight off-duty.

You can arrest someone and NEVER disrespect them once throughout. That goes along way with people, especially criminals.

3. trifecta

trifecta

This is a gun forum, so nearly all will be carrying most of the time. Put on a baseball cap and don't walk around acting like a cop, and you can walk right by most people without being noticed. I've personally walked into someplace that knew me in uniform and the employees never realized.

4. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I live in the next city over from where I work. I work for a metro police department whereas the chief is aso the sheriff. It's middle sized. 4 murders in the last year. I've been in two LOD shootings in the last year.

I was eating with my wife, also a LEO, when I noticed a DUI arrest from a month prior. He was relatively harmless, although he led us on a short pursuit before we got him out of the car. He lost in the DMV hearing and was revoked for a year. To say the least, he was pissed. Haven't been to criminal court yet and I doubt we will.

Anyhow, he noticed me befoe I noticed him and was giving me the death stare while I tred to remember who he was. He limited his tomfoolery to tough guy stares, but had he acted up, he would have explored the business end of my EMP and/or my wife's G23.

[​IMG]

5. The Hawk

The Hawk

After 20 + years in law enforcement I have run into several "clients" while off duty.
    I am retired now and still see several "ex-clients"
    I worked in the same city that I live in so it is not uncommon. Not a very big town with only one W-mart, Kroger, it is bound to happen here. I have not had any problems so far.
    I was cutting my yard a couple years ago when a car stopped in front of my house.
    Driver gets out and walks up to me saying that they recognized me and thanked me for treating them with respect. I did remember them but was amazed that they recognized me with yard cutting jeans and no shirt on. Anyway, it happens.
    To answer your question, I usually carry a .357 and a Cold Steel AK-47 folding lock blade knife.

6. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Cheese,

Knew you'd be good for a pic! Thanks :wavey:

7. metal

metal

In or out of Walmart? (LOL) (PS I'm not a cop) just too good a pun to not post :)

8. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

About once a month, I live in the county I work in most of the time they are long time well known idiots, they know me from washing my vehicle when they are awaiting trial or bond....

9. cash

cash

Not very often. I don't tend to frequent the same dives as the clientele. Mid size city, 140k or so population. That said, I still usually carry a G23 and a reload. And situational awareness ... don't leave home without it.

10. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher Topodaworldma!

Every time I go to WalMart I run into one. I've even ran into them when I run to the city.

11. G22Dude

G22Dude

I avoid the possibility by moving 30+ miles south of my duty station.

12. ranger1968

ranger1968

Clients?
    I don't know about that, but in the 19 years I have been a cop I have run into a whole bunch of dirtbags that I have locked up....and in all that time, I only had one problem, and that ended with me almost having to shoot a guy in the canned goods aisle of a Winn-Dixie, back in 1997.......:tongueout:

13. ditchdoc24

ditchdoc24

I live about 20 miles outside the city I work in. That being said, I do go places off duty where there is a distinct possibility of running into someone I've previously arrested. I never set foot out of the house without at least one gun on me and carry a reload whenever I'm away from home. It hasn't happened yet but I'm expecting it will some day.

14. smullen

smullen

I was at my daughters school the other night watching a Basketball game, shes a cheerleader... Anyway, I saw an officer there that used to really harass some buddies and I in High School... He was watching his grandkid...

At 1st I was like that MF'er... Then I was like you know what, he wa doing his job and I was a punk that needed some tossing around... Glad I have changed...He may have actually helped me in steering me away from trouble...

So I walked up and said, Hey, Officer(insertname), he said Hey, (my last name) and we shook hands... Was actually nice, seeing the guy is still doing his thing!!! I wish him many years of continued saftey and luck...

Afterwards I wondered how many other punks or X-punks he sees, remember him, but not in such a positive light...

15. HISEASCOWBOY

HISEASCOWBOY

I see them more times than I can remember. Especially since we back up the city all the time.

16. ctaggart

ctaggart

I work for a small borough of approx 8k residents and live in the next town over. I don't see the "clients" very often now, but when I lived in town I saw them nearly every day. Nobody has bothered me off duty, but some have said hello. I carry a G23 on and off duty and have a reload on me when off duty. I always have a flashlight on me at night as well.

Your girlfriend better get used to the fact that you carry a gun, otherwise it's time to find another. A gun is an essential tool of the trade and a pretty good asset in self-preservation.

17. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

I'm glad I don't live in the city I work in. I live about 20-25 minutes away, works out great.

I've still run into a few of my prior arrests or "regulars" off duty every now and then. It's a lot less frequent though than my co-workers who live in town. Those guys do their shopping in town, send their kids to school in town, get their car repaired in town, etc etc. About the only thing I do in the town I work in is get my haircut - all the other errands I do where I actually live.

Remember - you may have contact with hundreds of offenders each month from traffic to criminal......but the offenders may only have contact with 1 officer that month. It's much easier for them to remember you then you to remember them all the time. You never know what someone will get pissed at - people go berserk over the little things like parking tickets.

Always good to carry off duty - 100% of the time.

18. Defender77

Defender77

Always armed, always.

19. matt86

matt86 Oink Oink

I've run into people who I have arrested quite a bit. I'm always armed and try to avoid going into the city when off duty but it's not always avoidable.

20. ugly8604

ugly8604

I carry my .45 concealed off duty. 7+1. I don't see how you guys lug around spare mags, cuffs, and flash lights. I wear normal jeans and/or shorts and tshirts, all of that crap would be bulging out and make it too obvious.