How often do you reuse brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by tua05737, Apr 24, 2012.

1. tua05737

tua05737

How often do u guys reuse your brass? How can u tell it's time to throw it out?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. dla

dla

Depends on the cartridge. Generally till the case splits or it won't hold a primer.
    That might be 20x with 45acp or 2x with Rem brass in 270W.

3. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Until I lose it or it splits.

4. Kentguy

Kentguy

tau05737,

I have my own rule about this, I reload strait walled casings, 380, 9mm, 38 special, 357 mag, .45 ACP and shoot quite a bit. I have scooped up up TONS of brass at the ranges, as an example I have aprox. 8 or 9 thousand 9mm alone. I really have no idea how many times these brass casings have been shot and reloaded, so as a general rule, I reload them three (3) time and toss them away.

Now can you get more out of these casings... yes most likely, however this is my own QC standard that I have for myself. Whatever method you employ, make sure that you DON"T SKIMP on your case inspection process.

5. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I load for 9mm and .45ACP, and load it until it splits.
    I have two 5-gallon buckets of 9mm, and no easy way to track it (don't want to try and mark every one I shoot, I shoot easily over 1000 a month).
    My loads are mid-range, so I don't have that to worry about.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If super glue will adequately covers the split in the brass, I keep using it.. ;)

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Just for clarification, 9mm is a tapered case, not a straight wall.

Jack

8. Kentguy

Kentguy

My bad Jack, I just lumped em all together for discussion sake. :embarassed:

Ron59,
    I have my own method, it's really not that difficult to keep track of, but like I said, this is something I have desided is important to me, perhaps not to others. The great thing about this hobby is you can custom fit it to your wants as it make sense to your way of reloading & shooting.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  9. fredj338

fredj338

Pistol brass until it's lost or splits longitudinally, 10x easy. Rifle brass, you have to pay more attention & it depends on caliber, but 8-10x reload is not unusual.

10. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

.38 Special 10x plus easy. .40SW until it splits. This one escaped the check!
    [​IMG]

11. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

I start out with a cat litter bucket of cleaned ready to load brass in the reloading room. When I come back from the range it goes into the tumbler with walnut, then into a bucket in the garage. When the bucket in the reloading room gets low. I clean the brass in the garage with corn cob and then put it in the bucket back in the reloading room. I do this 6 times. After the 6 time it then goes in the bucket for use in matches. Since GSSF is not a reclaim your brass match. I then pull out another bucket of brass and start all over again.

12. ColoCG

ColoCG

^^^^I agree^^^^ :supergrin:

13. Bob2223

Bob2223 Jack's buddy!

That brass is OK just use this, Jack taught me this trick,,

[​IMG]

Warning!
    repaired brass may not fit a LW barrel !!

Bob

14. ColoCG

ColoCG

You must really load you rounds hot. I usually quit counting the # of times I've reloaded 270W in any brass after about 6x and then still use it as long as it holds a primer for practice or checking new load combinations.

15. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

A SPLIT is an acrobatic movement.

[​IMG]

This is a minor cosmetic imperfection. :whistling:

Jack

16. dla

dla

I mentioned Remington brass specifically. They had, (or still have - haven't bought any new for quite a while), a problem with too soft brass. The primer pockets would be loose after one cycle. And I don't load anywhere near max at all. Never had this problem with Winchester brass.

I have also had grief with Remington 44mag brass - again with the primer pockets leaking.

I'm kindof anti-Remington brass now. I don't like pits in the breach face and I don't feel good about being able to prime a case with my thumb :)

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

No problem, I wasn't even addressing my statement towards you. I was just saying that I have so MUCH brass, that is constantly being rotated, and I shoot so much that I don't want to have to mark it (say with a sharpie, like I've seen some people do).

If I was shooting a high pressure round, or loading for carry (which I don't), I might worry about that. But I case gauge everything, and have caught a few that I think split DURING the loading process (when the bullet is being seated)... that I think I'm okay. But in 45,000 or so reloads, I've only come across a few that were split. I just cull those and pull the bullets and primer for re-use (yes, I will re-use a primer for practice ammo, just being careful to push it out).

18. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

I reuse brass as often as I can.

19. ustate

ustate NRA Member

As others have said I use them until they split or can't hold a primer. Usually I lose them in the weeds before that happens though.

20. ColoCG

ColoCG

I can understand not wanting those kind of problems. Personally I have never had a problem with Rem brass. Along with using in other calibers, I've got about 3000 Rem .223 that I am cycling thru my AR now with no problems. But I have no problems with Federal brass either like some do. :dunno: Maybe it might have been a bad batch.