close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often do you really have to replace internal springs?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by dajcarroll, Jun 15, 2012.

1. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Bought a used Gen 3 Glock 37, and did a detail strip clean on it today. The gun was made in December 2003... making it almost 9 years old. I don't think the previous owner ever cleaned it, let alone detail strip it. You should have seen how many pieces of cloth and how much cleaner it took to get all the black build up out. Anyways, it's so clean I could eat off the thing now. My question is... is it time to change out the springs? I changed the RSA the day I bought it, but that's it. Took the gun to the range, and fired 100 rounds through with zero issues. The internal springs don't look too bad, but hell I don't know. I was thinking about getting one of the emergency spring kits from Glockmeister, but I'm weird about changing out stock parts for aftermarket (especially springs). I'm sure I could contact Glock and get the different factory springs, but I don't really want to go through the trouble, and then swap them all out if I don't really have to yet. What's the average life of an original Glock? I know the first question I'll be asked is how many rounds have been through it. I don't know. It's been shot. That I'm well aware of. The outside of the barrel has a pretty good smile on it. Runs like a champ though... was pretty stoked when I left the range today with a target full of holes all grouped together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if the pics aren't clear... no camera, just an iPhone.

Leave it alone or swap out the all the springs?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

2. Rev.357

Rev.357

Go got my G31 in 1996 & have a few thousand rds through it & I just ordered new springs & RSA

3. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Well, if I had bought a used glock I would change out the springs as well. Good thinking on your part. Just buy all new OEM springs for your glock and be done with. Don't forget the striker spring. :D

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  4. sonoma

sonoma

My trigger spring broke at 15,000 rounds.I changed it and the striker spring.I plan on changing them all in another 15,000

5. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

I change out all springs about every 3-4000 rounds. Cheap to change and saves battering the frame. I thinl even Glock now reccomends changing the recoil spring ever 3K.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

6. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Thanks for the input. Where do you all get your springs? Glock OEM or will aftermarkets do? Can you order a set from Glock like you can with aftermarket spring kits? Anyone used the Glockmeister spring kit?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

7. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

I would avoid Glockmeister.

8. NMPOPS

NMPOPS

Brownells.com

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk 2

9. GoingQuiet

GoingQuiet FFL/SOT

In 10 years, out of all of my PERSONAL guns - I have only needed to replace one spring.

About twice a year on a new gun I'll see a spring that is out of spec.

10. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Thanks. Just checked it out. Good stuff. I already changed the RSA. I need a trigger spring and striker spring. Do I really need anything else? Slide stop lever is good, mag release spring is good, slide release spring is good, and so is the extractor spring. I'll probably grap some mag springs as well. Any of the others I listed as good without a doubt need replaced?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

11. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

RSA - changed
    Trigger spring - ordered
    Firing pin spring - ordered
    Extractor Dep. Plun. Spring - ordered

Besides new mags or mag springs... anything else to turn this old Betty back into Beyonce again?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

12. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Other than a thorough cleaning you are good to go! Don't forget firing pin safety plunger spring.

13. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Did a thorough cleaning. Took a while, but it's done. I didn't order a new safety plunger spring. It looked brand new, and it doesn't compress/decompress until you personally do it to take the extractor and safety plunger out. It doesn't compress/decompress when firing does it? Correct me if I'm wrong because I honestly don't know.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Through 13 GLOCKs over 20+ years, I've never changed any springs other than some worn-out mag springs in used mags I bought during the AWB.

Nor have I had any failures of any type.

But then, I don't unnecessarily **** around with my pistols. Other than conectors and .$25 polishing, I leave them alone and un-molested. I would offer the observation that there is probably a causal link between those two facts.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  15. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

My G23 Gen 3 has a lot of rounds through it.

+15,000rds w / LW 40-9mm barrel

+10,000rds of .40S&W

+20,000rds w/a Ciener .22LR kit

And the only springs I've changed are the RSA.

16. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Everytime you pull that trigger the plunger is compressing and decompressing. lol. :supergrin:

17. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Are you talking about the spring for A or B?

A: [​IMG]

B:
    [​IMG]

I'm talking about the spring for B. I didn't order one. It looked fine. Straight as an arrow.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

18. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

B. That's fine if you didn't, just wanted to make sure you covered all springs. It does move everytime you pull the trigger though.

19. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

Okay, I was confused. Thanks for your help.

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3

20. dajcarroll

dajcarroll

I wouldn't consider a detail strip to clean ******* around with it. I'm not gonna pay an armorer to do something I can do. It wasn't hard. I'm glad I did... it was disgusting in there. A lot of you have had thousands of rounds with no issues, and no springs changed. That's awesome, but we're they all pistols you bought new? I have no way of knowing if the previous owners shot 1 or 1,000,000 rounds every year since 2003. 1,000,000 is extreme, but you see my point.

Anyways, everybody who has answered with thousands of rounds with zero springs changed and zero failure... guns you yourself bought new? Any guns you bought used that we're as old as mine?

G19 - Gen 3
    G37 - Gen 3