close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often do you practice?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by miniglock, Jul 30, 2003.

1. miniglock

miniglock

Before a GSSF match, how often do you practice? Do you practice more just before the event? How many rounds per session or do you practice timing - or both?

I shot NH this year. Did marginally better than last year.

2. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

MiniGlock,
    I'm assuming that you are seeking a quantitative amount of practice that we do but I have always believed, "every shooter should practice enough to give themselves confidence that they can achieve their peek performance in competition"

I try to practice as often as possible. Prior to a match, I will begin practicing about 4 hours a week for 3-4 weeks before the match. If I do not have 3-4 weeks between matches (sometimes, I only have a week), I will practice 5-6 hours before the match.

You've asked a great question and it will be interesting to find out how everyone approaches their practice.

3. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

I try to shoot about 1500 rounds over 3days the week of the match.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I practice 100-200 rounds on the 5TG stage once a week, using a timer and scoring my strings.

5. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

I need to start that.

6. miniglock

miniglock

Thanks for responding... keep em' coming! Unforunatetly, many times I only have access to an indoor range that will only let you place the target at one distance.

7. Vinh

Vinh

I try to practice a few times a week, and shoot 50-100 rounds a session. I go to a free outdoor range, so I can't stay very long because of the unsafe people. I don't ever shoot on the weekends because it's quite crowded and even more dangerous. ;f

I only have one target stand, so I can't practice any real courses of fire. I just work on accuracy, and hopefully the speed will eventually come. I'm not elite like the other guys, I'm just an amateur civilian trying to get into A class as soon as possible.

Minor note:
    Practicing at an outdoor public range will be significantly slower than at an indoor range because you have to wait for "cold" periods before you can change or move your target.

8. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

When life and the weather permit I run 400-600 rounds on the M and 5 to G the weekend before the match. If I can I'll run the same number of rounds give or take two weekends before the match. I found that this actually provides better performance than practicing 3 times a week at an indoor range every week even though we could set up the course of fire at the indoor range. Shooting indoors just doesn't give you the same feel as practicing outdoors. I would actually like to run more rounds in a practice session but since I share the practice time with a friend or four it generally limits me to the above numbers. I will work quite a bit on my overall shooting and check my hits after three magazines. Just before we quit a stage though I'll run several mags through just working on my timing and repeating my transitions between targets. I think improving your transitions is an easy way to improve your scores.

9. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I'm lucky because I have access to a corporate owned private range, the rangemaster allows me to shoot there as long I pick up all my brass and leave the range like I found it. He even let's me shoot the bowling pins that are kept out there for any matches they may have.

I also had a friend of mine who welds for a living make me some target stands out of some scrap metal he had laying around. I paid him tem bucks a stand and now I can do the 5 to Glock set up at the range. The stands look like crap, but they work!

Currently I fire about 200 rounds a week. Mainly I practice on the bowling pins, simply because they are fun to shoot, and I'm getting pretty fast at knocking them over. I think shooting the pins has also helped me shoot the plates too. The last time I practiced the plate rack, I felt quicker then usual, and I was still accurate, hopefully I'll be able to do the same thing at the next match.

For my second match I fired about 600 rounds in the three weeks before the final week of match preperation, which is about my average. For the final week I kind of went over board. I took the entire week off from work and fired 1400 rounds that week. Instead of helping, I think it kind of hurt, cause my score went up, instead of down. I think I placed a little to much emphasis on shooting well, instead of just shooting.

Now I got some D1's on the way and I'm just going to practice at 20 and 25 yards for Statesville. I'm going to do a little bit of plate work, but not much, I may even just stick to shooting the pins.

10. Fireglock

That definitely places you at some disadvantage. The trick is to make the most out of your practice time doing the things that can help you most. If I were you I would put time into practicing my low ready to first round time. Then you could work on your second shot along with the low ready. Additionally most folks have their biggest difficulties with the 20 and 25 yard targets. If your range is that long that would be an excellent practice. Keep watching the Tips from the Pros as practicing without being able to set up the match will be addressed in an upcoming tip.

11. miniglock

miniglock

FireGlock... Thanks for the suggestions.

12. MFinch

MFinch Guest

I usually shoot once or twice a week prior to a match and then begin working up to longer durations on the range as the match date gets closer. I generally do not shoot more than 300 rds each time out. I mix in some dry firing as appropriate to keep the trigger finger smooth.

The "how to practice" is very important. I try to shoot through the match using my timer and keeping score with the unlimited and stock guns. Shoot the match cold, just like race day. I keep up with scores to monitor progress against myself and what is turned in from the various matches. Most importantly, I look for signs that something needs attention. I spend the additional time working on things that need correction and always spend time shooting accuracy drills at 25 yds and beyond.

13. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

I try to shoot 200 to 300 rounds at a D-1 at 25 yrds each weekend morning in between matches. I will be doing that starting tomorrow morning (I hope) until Statesville!:)
    Dan:cool:

14. 40blaster

40blaster

I have been shooting three times a week, between two and three hundred rounds each session. I also shoot IPSC so I naturally want to hurry each shot, so mostly I work on cadence prior to GSSF.

15. Contrail

Contrail

Based on my performance at Marietta, I didn't practice enough between matches. I had been trying to shoot 150 to 300 rounds per week. I also mostly work on the 25 yard shots. It paid off on the farther targets - I shot all of the 20 and 25 yard targets pretty well (no "D's," or "M's" and only a couple of "C's.") Unfortunately, I threw away some easy shots and hit a couple of "D's" on the 10 yard targets ;g. I guess I need to start working on the close targets also!

I am looking forward to the tip about practicing without being able to set up the match stages.

Thanks Bobby (and others) for the tips!!

16. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I used to shoot 2-3 days a week, every week, during the "match" season. Each session was 350-500 rds. The week of the match was usually a bit more intense, especially on the plates. That week would see 3-4 days shooting up to 600 rds. a day. :)
    The time spent each day was anywhere from 4-5 hours. I would usually shoot all 3 stages of the match each time I practiced but on certain days would just shoot about 400-500 rds. on the plates.
    What can I say, I love shooting the plates. ;e

All practicing was done with the same bullet and load as my match ammo. Only difference was that I used practice brass instead of once fired.

17. Fireglock

Pay attention folks, this man always got results. :)

18. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

We started doing this and it helps allot.