close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how often do you need to clean a 10/22?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by brob2425, May 15, 2011.

1. brob2425

brob2425

Planning on getting a 10/22 for plinking. It'll be my first .22. How many rounds can I expect to put through it before it really needs a cleaning and/or starts jamming up? I usually clean my firearms after every range trip anyways (except my Glock of course), just wondering how much it can take. Also, do 10/22s need a lot of oil?

2. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

I dont own a 10/22 but I do own a 22/45 and I shot 1k rounds in one range session. Didnt have any problems. I would assume 10/22 is manufactured as will as the 22/45 is so I thinking cleaning isnt a big deal.

3. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I've gone through 1000 rounds in a single day........and, it probably should have been cleaned somewhere in the middle of that. I always keep some clp in my range box, and use it if necessary.

It really depends on the ammunition you're using......some crud up the action faster than others.

If you clean after each range trip, you won't have much of a problem......ever.

I do not clean after each range trip, but it does depend on if the 10/22 is still functioning ok......and how many rounds have been through it.

hog

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Just run a patch down the barrel and wipe the gun down with a some CLP after each shooting session. 10/22s are not very sensitive .22s, they will function when they are very dirty.

5. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I've shot 22's for over 40+ years and can tell you, you don't really need to clean the barrel every time you shoot. I clean my 10/22 chamber with q-tip and Hoppes #9 after every session, but the barrels gets cleaned after about 1500-2000 rounds. I'll clean the exterior of the rifle after every use. I always take the barrel off the receiver to clean it from the chamber end. Be very careful to never ding the muzzle end of a rifle. The 10/22 has a hex head bolt and barrel band holding the action in the stock. Take those off, then remove the two allen head bolts holding the barrel on the receiver via the barrel wedge. The barrel then slips right out of the receiver. This info is in your owners manual.:wavey:

6. Dan

Dan

Every time after it goes "Bang".

7. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

I can't remember the last time I cleaned any of mine other than some oil and a boresnake.

8. Top_Shot_31

Top_Shot_31

I put about 1500 rounds through my 10/22 Stainless before I had a misfire, and that was actually due to a faulty cartridge. That was the first time I cleaned it. It was dirty, but I don't think that it was dirty to a fault.

Being that I don't always know when the next time I will shoot is, I usually clean mine after every range trip, which is usually at least 250 rounds per trip, just so that I know it's alway good to go. You're gonna have a lot of fun with your new plinker though! If you can find one, try the 10/22 Targeter (26" stainless barrel and real wood stock). I LOVE mine.

As far as ammo, I have only shot Winchester Xperts High Velocity. Runs about $22 a box. I was going to go with Federals and had a box of them next to the gun when I was signing paperwork for it. Another customer came up to me and told me that 10/22s don't like Federals and that they're way dirtier. I decided to just take his advice and I have not had any regrets.

There's a pretty basic philosophy to the 10/22: Take care of it, and it will outlive you.

TS31

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  9. CajunBass

CajunBass Silver Member

I don't know that I've ever cleaned mine. I've got five of 'em. I probably have, but couldn't swear to it. Wipe 'em off, yes, but "clean"? No.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  10. Bruce M

Bruce M

I only have one. I don't know I have ever actually cleaned it unless you count cleaning as wiping it down and spraying something in the action.

11. brisk21

brisk21

Ive never done anything but a boresnake down the barrel. Ive shot my 10/22 for years.

12. Wyoming

Wyoming

I own nine variations of the Ruger 10-22. I will use a bore snake to clean out the barrel sometimes while varmint hunting. I think this is more out of guilt than necessity.

I will do a complete take down and clean when malfuctions start. a Ruger 10-22 can go a very long time between cleanings. I have muzzle guards to use to protect the rifle's barrel crown while cleaning.

It has been stated many times that many a 22 has been damaged by improper cleaning than by shooting. I live in a very dry climate so rust isn't a problem so why clean a 22 after every use?

13. Victoriagotagun

Victoriagotagun

I usually clean the action after use but I don't remember the last time I actually cleaned the barrel. :dunno:

14. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

600 rounds.

Clean the gunk off the bolt face.

15. ctfireman

ctfireman

If i shoot it, i clean it.