close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How often do you lift weights during the week?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Oct 9, 2012.

1. BSA70

BSA70

I try to lift regularly. A co worker has gotten into body building. He's about my age, 42, and has placed 2nd in a competition.

I saw a pic of his arms on facebook and proceeded to ask him about his arm routine. I was surprised when he said he did not go to the gym as much as he did. Where he use to work out 4 hrs he now works out 20 min. He gave up benching all to gether:shocked: He said it is mostly diet.

Anyway, may be I hit the gym too much. I hit a body part hard about twice a week. Maybe I should go to once a week.

How often do you lift?

BSA

2. Averageman

Averageman

You have to experiment a bit with your routine and see what works best for you.
    Three days of rest between major muscle groups may work fine in your 40's, a younger Man will recover much faster and can actually recover over 36 hours.
    Over training can be a very individual thing.

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

3 day rotation. Usually Mon/Wed/Fri for about an hour - I try to work my muscles until they feel like they're going to burst. I've found I get burnt out on that very quickly if I try a 6 day rotation, but if you worked out with less intensity and didn't try to kill yourself every day a 6 day schedule (2x3 day rotations) per week could be doable.

Regardless, diet and sleep are what you really need to focus on for maximum gains.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  4. Rancher

Rancher

Each body part twice a week. But I do a lot of cardio. I'd really like to get "bigger" but everytime I start to put on some more mass my 10K time suffers so I run more and lose it. I'm 6 feet tall and stay at about 170-175 pounds. I will turn 50 this year so my days of putting on much more muscle is I think behind me. Guess I should be happy my body fat is under 10%.

I cross train but would like to actually do Cross Fit, anybody here do that?

Rancher

5. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

I lift Tues-Thurs-Sat and do cardio daily. For cardio, I balance running, the elliptical, bicycling and Core Power Yoga Sculpt along with a little hiking.

At the beginning of Summer, I did a boot camp through my Yoga Studio that was totally awesome. It combined yoga, cardio and weight training, but changed up what you did daily to shock your muscles for fast results. It consisted of two one hour sessions per day for seven days, a one day break, followed by six more days of training.

The training concept was train to failure. This formula reminds you that your mind quits before your body, so continuing to the point of physical failure results in building character as well as muscles.

Heartily recommended.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Gym- (powerlift oriented) 4 days a week
    Work-freight 5 days a week
    Other- bicycling 1-2 days a week.

7. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Five day cycle, 50minutes per session, i mostly do German Volume Training (10 sets of 8-10 reps) opposing mucles per workout, alternating sets between the opposing muscle groups.
    Day one: chest/biceps
    Day two: legs
    Day three: off
    Day four: back, triceps
    Day five: off.

I supplement shoulder work as needed, but my main tric exercise is parallel bar dips and main back exercise is pull ups, so very little extra shoulder work needed.

I'm 41, 5-11", 185lbs, 7%BF.

8. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

monday ,wed , friday , weights

tuesday ,thursday and weekends cardio and raquetball ball

9. racerford

racerford

Hundred times a day....oh you like gym sessions. I don't and it shows.

20 minute workout must be few reps heavy weight. I sense there could be steroids or testosterone or HGH in his regime. Or possibly VERY gifted genes. Diet can you cut, but bulk means tearing down and rebuilding muscle and that needs lifting (tearing down). I suppose one could use muscle stimulators, but I think the skin voltage required for STRONG contractions would be painful, or maybe even leave a mark.

10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Stronglifts 5x5. 3 days a week roughly 30 mins. On one off day I'll do weighted chins and on another weighted pulls. Nothing crazy. And try to play every day when work doesn't get in the way. Hike, SUP, kite, run, paraglide, surf, swim, whatever.

11. LASTRESORT20

LASTRESORT20 L T G

Cardio 4 times a week.....
    Light hand 7lbs weights mostly *high-Reps of punching / elbow strikes / twisting / and rotating (different movements) Dont like big arms and / or "Gorilla look".... prefer tone,endurance, agility and speed.....also include stretching....

weights: twice a day every day morning and night 20 minutes each.

12. benji

benji

4x a week, usually.

13. Glotin

Glotin

What is your goal?

Do you want big muscles or functional muscles?

I've come to believe over time that bodybuilding is pretty much a waste of time unless you just want to look strong. If that's the case, have at it.

Your time would be better spent doing crossfit or something like that if you want functional strength.

If you'd rather lift, Starting Strength is a great program for novices (even body builders are considered novices in this program).

It's a good program because it's simple and it works. It consists of only barbell exercises: Squat, Deadlift, Bench, Powerclean, and Press. Other things like pull ups/chin ups are thrown in depending on the specific program.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki This website has everything you need including a logbook calculator that maps out each workout for you. It's an A/B workout schedule 3 days a week (MWF).

This is also pretty entertaining: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Quotes

14. GWSHARK

GWSHARK BITEYAHEADOFF

I do a 4 day split for weights...

A push day ( chest, shoulders, triceps)
    A pull day (Back, biceps, forearms)
    A Leg day (squts, deads, etc)
    A core day (a core circuit of various exercises)

But I agree with your friend... it really boils down to diet.

I'm big and strong... but don't have much vascularity and have a beer gut. I do cardio... but I eat and drink too many calories to get ripped. :crying:

15. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

If what you want to do is just trim down, my nutritionist says that it's 75% diet, 25% exercise.

16. Altaris

Altaris

The Gym for heavy weight - Sun, Tues, Thurs
    The Park for running/biking - Mon, Wed
    The bar for getting drunk - Friday, Saturday

On occasion I mix the bar part in during the week in place of one of my cardio days. :supergrin:

17. samuse

samuse

This is the right answer.

If it doesn't work... YNDTP!:supergrin:

Buy the book.

18. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

4 days per week. I do other activities as well - e.g., play basketball on some of the off days.

19. Glotin

Glotin

Yeah, I somehow forgot to mention the book.

20. K.Kiser

K.Kiser

I'm 36 and my muscles can recover from a somewhat intense workout in 48-60 hours, but my connective tissues require longer... I may do 4 sets of 8-12 reps, then I'll rest that muscle from any targeted workout for no less than 4 days... I'm giving up strength gains for sure, but I feel much healthier and without as many nagging pains which is what makes it difficult for me to stay on a long term routine... I'm recovering slowly and lightly from a rotator aggravation right now, so nothing heavy or too frequent..